You Get A Call From Your Neighbor..... - Page 2

You Get A Call From Your Neighbor.....

This is a discussion on You Get A Call From Your Neighbor..... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Oh it would be a sight indeed if my neighbor called me up at 2:30 in the morning... Right or wrong, this is what I ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: You Get A Call From Your Neighbor.....

Oh it would be a sight indeed if my neighbor called me up at 2:30 in the morning... Right or wrong, this is what I would probably do...

First, I would make sure 911 had been called. Then I would turn on all outside lights. Next, myself and my GSD would go outside. I would take my 20 million candlepower spotlight, and a firearm or two. I would throw the spotlight into the first floor windows of my neighbors house and then fire off a few rounds into the ground while yelling for the BG to come outside with his hands up. Then I would run inside and look out the windows and see if I could see him/her exiting the structure. I would hope the spotlight would be blinding enough to trick the BG into thinking I was out there with it, and hope it provided me enough time to get an accurate description of the person. I would just hope that didn't cause the person to barricade themselves inside. That would probably suck. On the bright side however, my neighbor wouldn't call me AGAIN at 2 in the morning asking for help.
    "The trouble with small furry animals in a corner is that, just occasionally, one of them's a mongoose." - Terry Pratchett, Witches Abroad

Member: NRA - GOA - Grassroots SC

Senior Moderator
    There really is no generic answer here. Too much depends on the location, the police response, the severity of the call, your own ability and lots of other factors.

In my location I can expect a response in 30 minutes. If a neighbor called me, ( I don't have many) for help, there is NO WAY that I would not respond.

I would call 911, inform them and GO. I would be in constant communication with the neighbor,if possible. I would do whatever it took to remedy the situation.

My response may not be adequate for your response. My abilities may not equal yours. Each individual that would deal with a situation has to have enough common sense to know what to do and know what not to do.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by fernset View Post
    Cops don't go into a house guns blazing.
    Sounds like you're willing to bet someone else's life on your belief system. No thanks.
    Don't forget to bow as the chariot passes.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Your neighbor should have called 911 first. Next, she should have been pondering why she didn't buy a gun like you told her to do months ago, and she said that she didn't need one.

Why should the people who are armed have any duty to protect or assist those who refuse to arm or protect themselves?

Stay armed...take heed/plan ahead...stay safe!
    resupt99 hit the nail right on the head with those two statements. I had a similar situation happen, althought the perp never made entry; however, same rules apply. I would gladly call 911 (although she should have done it herself), and I would gladly turn on lights, arm myself, and protect MY family; but, it ends there. I protect mine and my own, and too bad for the "Judys" out there who refuse to protect themselves, thinking others should risk their lives to protect them.

Stay armed...you reap what you sow...stay safe (sorry had to steal it)

If you want to do something for her, get her a gun and teach her how to use it.

Otherwise, keep watching Conan.

Administrator
    I'd walk over there, arrest any burglers I find and smack Judy for calling me instead of the 3rd shift crew. Then I'd go turn in my O/T slip and go back to bed.

If I were not a LEO with no formal training to handle such things, I'd stay on the line with Judy while the wife calls 911 on a cell. As long as Judy is OK, I'm staying home. No need to get myself in a jam because Judy is scared. If things progress to a worse situation, then that is a different matter. I'm not risking my life or anything else for that matter, for somebody elses stuff.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Has she called 911?

If no, then the wife is. I may or may not venture out depending on the situation.
    I would avoid going into her house at (almost) all costs. If the neighbor lady is secure (somewhat) and can lock her bedroom/bathroom door and stay on the phone with me, we're good. The police will handle it. I do not want to risk having the police shoot me, engage a BG with her in the house, or go to court to justify any actions I took. I've got a family to think about.

Now if the neighbor lady is in immidiate danger..............now that's gonna be a tough call but waiting on the cops while she's screaming in the phone under direct attack, I might just have to take that chance. I have a few ladies living around us, except they all have kid(s), so I'm answering under my own experiences and being pretty close/friendly with most of them I'd find it very difficult to sit by while I knew she/they were under a direct assult from a BG.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    Tough situation, but I'm afraid I would have to agree with the majority in this case. I have no intention of putting myself in a position where LEO are coming with weapons drawn, looking to find a possibly armed BG. Good way to get yourself dead!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

First "Judy" should have called the cops, but since she called my house, I would have to have the wife call 911 and inform them that there is a home invasion at the neighbors like others have said. Depending on what information was given by "Judy" I might go over and offer assistance.

I guess one way for the police to distinquish who is the BG and who is not, is to have the wife inform the 911 operator that her husband is going to be the one in jockey shorts and tennis shoes and will have a gun. That should easily eliminate any confusion for the responding officers.

It would be very difficult to stay at home and listen to "Judy" scream for help when the intruder found her and decided to stab, shoot or rape her. If you would wait at home until those events took place, you may have waited too long, and by the time you found where the intruder made his entry it may be too late to help.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Bingo!

Quote Originally Posted by fernset View Post
    So you all could ignore "Judy"?? I don't think I could. Cops don't go into a house guns blazing. If they were to show up while your are in the house with a gun just put it down when they tell you to. I think the problem with this society is that there are to many "Judys" without a way to protect themselves but those who would just sit back and allow something to happen "Judy" without lifting a finger dont help either.

Bingo! I just couldn’t leave a good neighbor to the wolves. Just to answer a few questions or comments posed. Judy is hypothetical. She lives alone and her bedroom is on the second floor. No jumping out of windows for her, sorry, she is too old so that is not an option for any reason you want to make up. Yes she should have called 911 first but have you ever called you Dr.’s office and gotten that message about “if this is an emergency call 911”? I often wonder if some idiot is having a heart attack why are they calling their general practitioner and not 911, but it happens. She called me and I am not going to leave her in her time of need. As I stated the first thing I would do is tell my wife to call 911 and report the trouble at her home so that has been done. I like the ideas of turning all outside lights on to perhaps scare the invaders off. What else can be done to defuse this situation?
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

cj
    I like the 'lights' idea...perhaps even to the point of pointing my car with high beams on at the house...but no way I'm going in there. There just aren't very many positive possible outcomes.

Is Judy armed and was hearing things? Suddenly, YOU'RE the one walking through her house with a gun.

As mentioned, the police should be coming expecting a potentially armed intruder...congratulations, you meet their expectations.

What if there are multiple armed intruders? Not looking good for the home team.

What if it's one intruder set up in a good position as you waltz in the predictable door?

Of course, there IS the possibility that you manage to get in safely and the intruder is so distracted that you can actually do something about it, and you have the rare advantage of preparing for the confrontation (i.e. you don't bring your .380 pocket pistol, you pull out the 12 gauge), but the number of outcomes that are bad from your point of view vastly outweigh the good.

Of course, this is also a generalization (as is the situation presented), and other realistic factors could alter the decision, but at its basics, it doesn't look like barging in is a good solution. Helping her escape? Maybe. Other options? Possibly, but the situation needs to define itself.

This could be a setup. Judy is always complaining about my dogs, or my music, or how I mow my lawn. The cops are constantly showing up at my door, and when I step outside, I see Judy peeking from around the corner of her front porch, giving me the evil glare. How do I know that Judy isn't trying to get me over there so she can shoot me, and call it self defense? Nope, not falling for It Judy! Fend off your own bad guy Judy! What's that? You're sorry about calling the cops on my dog Judy? huh? Can't hear you, you're breaking up <crackle crackle> Well, I have to get up early in the morning Judy.. take care, gottta go. Oh yeah, and you had better not scream when the BG gets to you or I'm pressing charges for violating the noise ordinance. I'm sure our homeowners association will not approve of the noise either!

"The trouble with small furry animals in a corner is that, just occasionally, one of them's a mongoose." - Terry Pratchett, Witches Abroad

Member: NRA - GOA - Grassroots SC

Quote Originally Posted by Engine1 View Post
    This could be a setup. Judy is always complaining about my dogs, or my music, or how I mow my lawn. The cops are constantly showing up at my door, and when I step outside, I see Judy peeking from around the corner of her front porch, giving me the evil glare. How do I know that Judy isn't trying to get me over there so she can shoot me, and call it self defense? Nope, not falling for It Judy! Fend off your own bad guy Judy! What's that? You're sorry about calling the cops on my dog Judy? huh? Can't hear you, you're breaking up <crackle crackle> Well, I have to get up early in the morning Judy.. take care, gottta go. Oh yeah, and you had better not scream when the BG gets to you or I'm pressing charges for violating the noise ordinance. I'm sure our homeowners association will not approve of the noise either!

I think you need to work on your relations with your neighbors if this is the way you all treat each other.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I sense Engine1 was joking. I chuckled.

You have no Idea how many perps or location,you are approaching a house that you may or may not know the layout,I'm not going into a house where even if I get the drop on one guy there may be a second guy that shoots me.In my own home under those circumstances I would get to a defendable position and call LEO they can clear the house"flush" BG's to me where I will get the limit allowed by law
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links