Carrying at Work, I hope I get this one right and not get post removed.

This is a discussion on Carrying at Work, I hope I get this one right and not get post removed. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I made a post simiular and it was removed. I am hoping I get it right and I am within the confines of whats allowable ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carrying at Work, I hope I get this one right and not get post removed.

I made a post simiular and it was removed. I am hoping I get it right and I am within the confines of whats allowable on the forum. I really mean no harm and do not intentionaly break the rules.

So here it goes.

Your at work and written in the employee hand book states "No Weapons". I have read that some of you will still carry into your work anyways. (Not me though).

There is an incident where a nut job comes in the place of work shooting. If you are not directly in jeapordy of injury or death, would you use your firearm and save the co-workers around you and take the guy out saving countless lives, or do you ignore and get out of the building letting your co-workers and friend be at the hand of the nut-job ? This way HR can't come to you later when everything has settled.

With this Scenario question, I hope I am not breaking forum rules.

"When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

I know it's not generally accepted, but if I had a clear shot (and beyond) I'd take it. When I worked in an office setting I worked with at least 5 close friends. To run out on them would be unthinkable, to let them die because I ran would be unbearable.

Now if it were at someone else's work, screw it. I'm out of there like my tail is on fire.
    I've no dog in that hunt.
    [I]They make a desert and call it peace - Calgacus
    We're all just a bunch of Right Wing Racist Republican Homophobes - Rush L.

Under Tx law you can come to the defense of another,you will probably be fired but I could not run thinking I could have saved lives and didn't because of selfish reasons
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

To my way of thinking, once you choose to carry at work, you have put your job in jeopardy anyway. So with that in mind I would defend my fellow employees to the best of my ability and deal with HR later down the road. Human life is more important than a career anytime.
    God bless our troops!

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    This is a tough one for me. I work in construction so there are gun primers up to .32 cal going off everyday while framing. I ignore them all the time and trust me, they are loud in a bldg without insulation.

So to answer your question, I would have to be directly involved, otherwise, I wouldnt know if it was a framer or a BG. If I was directly involved I would consider myself in danger and return fire until the threat has stopped.

If my life is in jeopardy who cares about the job. Numero Uno first.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

I'm not a cop...I don't plan on running in and 'saving the day'.
    If I'm in the direct path of a shooter, that's different and then there's a personal threat...then I take action.
    Other than that, I'm exiting and calling 911.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I do carry at work ('nuff said) and if I were in a position to protect another co-worker or even just a bystander I would regardless of the consequences from my HR department.

If retsupt99 were in my place of employment during a robbery or other bad situation, I would be devastated to read on the forum that he was killed in that incident at my place of work that I might have been able to prevent.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Hmmm....

Good question - one I would like answered as well. I'm a elem school teacher. And to carry in the bldg, isn's company policy, it is state law. While I would like to carry, so if some whack job decided to off little children, I could take him out and save countless parents from some serious grief. By doing so, I would be a hero - but I would go to jail!!

Serious delimma that one.
    Trying to leave as large a carbon footprint as possible.
    Shivering in the "heat"
    Innocent as doves, wise as serpents, armed like wolves.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Under Tx law you can come to the defense of another,you will probably be fired but I could not run thinking I could have saved lives and didn't because of selfish reasons
    Same here, IF I carried regardless of the company policy. Texas being a right to work state, you can guarantee you are going to be gone as soon as the smoke clears.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by crzy4guns View Post
    To my way of thinking, once you choose to carry at work, you have put your job in jeopardy anyway. So with that in mind I would defend my fellow employees to the best of my ability and deal with HR later down the road. Human life is more important than a career anytime.
    +1
    "For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security."
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I'm not a cop...I don't plan on running in and 'saving the day'.
    If I'm in the direct path of a shooter, that's different and then there's a personal threat...then I take action.
    Other than that, I'm exiting and calling 911.
    +1. The others made their own decision on their personal safety.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Hello All,

Jobs usually don't last a lifetime.....Death lasts a lot longer.

Safety First....Keep your groups tight,

mM

if i saw any innocent people being shot down, no matter where it was. i would try to stop the shooter.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by stormbringerr View Post
    if i saw any innocent people being shot down, no matter where it was. i would try to stop the shooter.

+1.
    Mykel

more later...

The trick is to resign shortly after the incident, that way being "Fired with extreme prejudice" does not show up on your resume/work history.

Not my problem until it becomes my problem.

More often that not I am in the field working, so it would really be a matter if I am present where something like this happens. I carry at work for my own protection when I am alone at night at remote locations with a small fortune in copper wire and fuel.

On the rare times that I am actually working in the shop/office, I may go as far as the nearest access door to where the shots are coming from and make sure everyone else gets out/cover them. If an opportunity to take a shot comes up, that is iffy, I don't know if it is the actual shooter coming out of an office/adjoining hallway or a coworker that also carries against policy saving their own butt.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links