Chest or Gut?

This is a discussion on Chest or Gut? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Raevan said it best! If you are just shooting to "stop", you probably should not be carrying a firearm. You have to be prepared for ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chest or Gut?

Raevan said it best! If you are just shooting to "stop", you probably should not be carrying a firearm. You have to be prepared for the possibility of killing another person. To think you can "stop" a threat without a possible death is foolish and short sighted.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by 820Larry View Post
    One to the fuel pump and one to the computer.

One of my old Marine friends said a triple tap is best. Two to center mass (chest) and follow up with one to the head.

The two either slow or disorientate the attacker and the third makes sure he stays that way.
    [I]They make a desert and call it peace - Calgacus
    We're all just a bunch of Right Wing Racist Republican Homophobes - Rush L.

When the threat comes your way...hopefully, you hit something in the 'center', and hopefully...more than once.

Stay armed...always focus on stopping the threat...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Been playing "Left 4 Dead" have we?
    Yes, the world has gotten smaller, but it will always be too big to be ruled by unelected bureaucrats.

I distinctly remember from the first "Dawn of the Dead" that you had to destroy the brain or the zombies would just keep coming.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    I distinctly remember from the first "Dawn of the Dead" that you had to destroy the brain or the zombies would just keep coming.
    Fortunately real world zombies (and head hunters) don't technically "require" a head shot to stop.

Unfortunately, if you dare defend yourself, their initial attacks are followed by an army of blood sucking vampires that bullets do not stop.

Administrator
    Can we get this thread at least semi-stuck on seriousness or it's going to get moved to Humor & Off Topic.

You shoot to stop the threat of serious injury or death to you or a third party that caused you to shoot in the first place. You shoot center mass of whatever part of the target presents itself as it provides for a higher probability of hitting the target.

If the Perp lives or dies is not of concern at that particular moment. It is not something you have time to ponder. Stopping the threat is the first priority
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrashok Glock View Post
    Gut shots will take longer to kill, much longer. That is why we shoot deer in the chest/ heart and lungs.
    There are more "vital" organs in the chest area than in the abdominal area. I personally train for the Thoracic Triangle for shooting, even if it's a shot from the side.

Easy way to picture it is:

From between the eyes to the nipples. If you connect those "dots" it makes a triangle. If this has already been stated, my apologies. It's late and I wanted to answer the original question, but didn't want to read all the replies, sorry for my rudeness.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by f8lranger4x4 View Post
    Center Mass +100000
    Center-of-mass +1
    Just aim a little high, allow for projectile drop.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Can we get this thread at least semi-stuck on seriousness or it's going to get moved to Humor & Off Topic.
    I am sorry if anyone took my question to be in jest. I assure you that I was deadly serious. I did in three instances resort to euphemisms. This was done to make the discussion a bit more indirect, or vague rather than what might be considered harsh, blunt, or offensive to certain people. Also a little levity to leaven a rather serious topic.

I had thought it context that my references would be obvious. For example I used the term "blood sucking vampires" rather than the more the direct term lawyer or specifically "personal injury attorney".

As far as what games I play. I am rather boring. Chess with my 9 year old is about my speed. Would it be appropriate to use terms like "check mate" or would this come to close to inappropriate hilarity?

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrashok Glock View Post
    Gut shots will take longer to kill, much longer. That is why we shoot deer in the chest/ heart and lungs.
    I hate these referrals.

Apples to Oranges.

Humans are in the top ten of the most fragile creatures on this planet. Natures way of balance for our sentience and thumbs.

You can literally blow the leg off a deer or other grass eating game animal and you will see it grazing in the field the next season, and it did not get rushed to the ER for treatment. Animals with a leg caught in a trap will chew it off and go on with life, again without being rushed to the ER or even the ability to apply a tourniquet to stem the bleeding.

While I agree that a COM shot is the best option to stop a threat, and a leg is the worst, a gut shot has been documented to work, and has been recommended by people who have done the research.

I don't believe in a one shot stop. Too many cases where that was not the case, so it is at least two or three, access the situation, repeat if needed. I also do not trust myself to do a head shot under rushed pressure.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

In terms of quickly stopping zombies or head hunters, is a gut shot or a chest shot considered more effective?
    A round or two of a major caliber to the pelvis could drop the threat where they stand.

A shattered Pelvis is a technical answer to your question, It would quickly stop any zombies or head hunters, however they could still function thier upper bodies IE: shoot,

However if you shoot and scoot they couldn't follow

Two to the Chest. OOPS body armor, one to the pelvis, easier to hit then the bobbing weaving head and a larger target

Center MAS!!!!! TAP TAP

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links