Chest or Gut?

Chest or Gut?

This is a discussion on Chest or Gut? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In terms of quickly stopping zombies or head hunters, is a gut shot or a chest shot considered more effective?...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chest or Gut?

Chest or Gut?

In terms of quickly stopping zombies or head hunters, is a gut shot or a chest shot considered more effective?

Senior Member Array Hydrashok Glock's Avatar
    HEAD! Comeon havent you seen any George Romero movies.
    The choices you make today define you of who you are tommorow

When you see the light at the end of the tunnel your life is not over..... it is just about to begin

COPS Protective Services

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrashok Glock View Post
    HEAD! Comeon havent you seen any George Romero movies. lol
    Not sure I trust myself to make a head shot under stress.

Just wondering about rapid incapacitation. Assuming you don't hit the heart (or the spine), a chest shot damages the lungs. Which could ultimately stop the BG, but would a gut shot generally achieve a faster result.

God forbid of course that shooting a live person were ever to be necessary to preserve your own or another person's life.

Senior Member Array Hydrashok Glock's Avatar
    Gut shots will take longer to kill, much longer. That is why we shoot deer in the chest/ heart and lungs.
    The choices you make today define you of who you are tommorow

When you see the light at the end of the tunnel your life is not over..... it is just about to begin

COPS Protective Services

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrashok Glock View Post
    Gut shots will take longer to kill, much longer. That is why we shoot deer in the chest/ heart and lungs.
    As I am not a hunter, I was unaware. That is very interesting.

Thanks.

(note: Nothing against hunting, I just wouldn't be able to stand the waiting.)

Pelvic shot.

A round or two of a major caliber to the pelvis could drop the threat where they stand. Also, many aggressors will have second thoughts when a firearm is pointed at their privates.

It's also a good way to hold someone at gunpoint. Not only the physiological effect, but it give you an unobstructed view of the attacker.

You are not shooting to kill, you are shooting to stop the threat.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911packer View Post
    You are not shooting to kill, you are shooting to stop the threat.
    Absolutely. I had thought I had been clear I was discussing "stopping". Killing might be the result, but is not the intent. As I said before, God forbid it were ever necessary to ever shoot at all.

On the other hand, I'm not sure that holding a gun pointed at a persons pelvic region would necessarily go over well with a prosecutor. If it wasn't absolutely necessary to shoot was it absolutely necessary to pull the gun at all. Sounds like it could be construed as brandishing at the least, and possibly malicious.

On the other hand, I don't even play a lawyer on TV, nor have I stayed at a holiday in express.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    Absolutely. I had thought I had been clear I was discussing "stopping". Killing might be the result, but is not the intent. As I said before, God forbid it were ever necessary to ever shoot at all.

On the other hand, I'm not sure that holding a gun pointed at a persons pelvic region would necessarily go over well with a prosecutor. If it wasn't absolutely necessary to shoot was it absolutely necessary to pull the gun at all. Sounds like it could be construed as brandishing at the least, and possibly malicious.

On the other hand, I don't even play a lawyer on TV, nor have I stayed at a holiday in express.
    I added the "Shoot to stop..." just as a general disclaimer, not that I thought you didn't understand.

If you are legally in the right to point a gun at someone, or even shoot them, I don't think using the crotch as a target would make a difference in court.

I will draw if I INTEND to shoot. That does not mean I have to follow through and pull the trigger. If the threat stops being a threat upon being drawn on, then all the better. It happens thousands of times a year in this country.

I added the "Shoot to stop..." just as a general disclaimer, not that I thought you didn't understand.
    Disclaimers are such a wonderful part of modern society. Do you suppose in the future, people will look back and wonder about this practice.

If you are legally in the right to point a gun at someone, or even shoot them, I don't think using the crotch as a target would make a difference in court.
    Perhaps. You never know how thing will be spun. Remember that guy Fish in AZ? The prosecutor made a big deal about his using 10mm Hollow Points. "Killer Bullets" I think they were called. Good grief.

I will draw if I INTEND to shoot. That does not mean I have to follow through and pull the trigger. If the threat stops being a threat upon being drawn on, then all the better. It happens thousands of times a year in this country.
    True. But if I draw it is because I fear for my life and the threat is imminent. I don't intend on waiting to see what happens. If the threat is going to stop, then it had better stop quickly.

Shooting someone in the groin doesn't necessarily stop the threat. If they have a gun they can still shoot you. A groin shot may put them down but not out. Some people are able to work through or ignore extreme amounts of pain, especially if they are on drugs. It is always best to aim for the largest target, which is usually in the chest area. Some people will give up the attack just from seeing the gun, but I would never count on it. Easch situation is different and one must be ready to do whatever is necessary to stop the threat, that includes having to kill someone if need be. If one is not willing to take a life if the time comes then they should not be carrying a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    ...one must be ready to do whatever is necessary to stop the threat, that includes having to kill someone if need be. If one is not willing to take a life if the time comes then they should not be carrying a gun.
    I agree.

I pray it will never come to that.

God protects those who protect themselves.

Can't beat a "double tap". One to the fuel pump and one to the computer.

Hearts & Mind

Quote Originally Posted by 820Larry View Post
    Can't beat a "double tap". One to the fuel pump and one to the computer.
    Winning their hearts and minds... ;-)
    “We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm” - George Orwell

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Center Mass +100000

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links