Approached leaving CVS Pharmacy

This is a discussion on Approached leaving CVS Pharmacy within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Awesome guys thanks for all the responses. This gets me thinking. I wear my IWB around 4:30 or 5:00 on my belt. If I go ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Approached leaving CVS Pharmacy

Awesome guys thanks for all the responses. This gets me thinking. I wear my IWB around 4:30 or 5:00 on my belt. If I go near there, the BG might think I am going for my wallet, and approach to receive the handout he thinks he is going to get. . . Thats why the universal sign for stop is needed I suppose.

Tangle, as an EMT who has transported more liquored up bums in Las Vegas then I can count, pleeeeeeasssssse never give a bum money, they go straight for malt liquor and make my job a lot harder heheh ;). If you wanna be nice, what I sometimes do is buy them a sandwich and a gatorade :). Good response to the question, I think I need buy a tac light.
    "People should not be afraid of their governments; governments should be afraid of their people".
    -- V for Vendetta

NRA Associate Member

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I was at a Bass Pro recently, daylight/Sunday afternoon. I was leaving and walking to my SUV. As I passed I noticed a guy handling a shopping cart, and it appeared to me he worked there and was retrieving carts for the store. I didn't think much of it.

I got to my SUV and raised the back hatch and was putting in my purchase, and the next thing I know this "guy" was approaching me at a pretty fast pace. It caught me off-guard a bit but I immediately stood up, leaned toward him a bit in a somewhat aggressive stance, put up the universal stop w/left hand, and told him to back-off and get away from me NOW. He came to a stop, backed up and said "yes suh, yes suh". Mission accomplished. I noticed some nearby customers in their vehicle were grinning ear to ear. I guess they were watching, maybe had been hit up previously themselves.

For people hitting you up for money, and some of them will get "their timing down good" so that they approach you suddenly, closely, and unexpectently. I don't recall me ever giving any of them money, I'd prefer (at first) to handle their request with a non-confrontational answer. Instantly inciting some of these people (possible mentals) may not be the best approach, though sometimes it works.

At a gas pump I once had a guy from his car, pop out from the other side and said he needed a few bucks. I told him I was on a company expense credit card and only had their plastic. Sorry

Excuse me for deviating a bit from the OP, but my point is that you have to think on your feet, as every parking lot encounter is not the same and can't all be handled the same way.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Senior Moderator
    Nick,

LOL, I see your dilemma. However, if I give the guy the money he is no longer my dilemma, but somebody elses hee, hee. If you have a business card, I could give them your business card instead of money and tell them to call you. LOL.

Seriously, the problem is, we have no way to know who we're dealing with and the consequences of refusal. The problem I'm really concerned about is having to reach in a pocket to get a dollar or a billfold. If this is a BG, not just a 'bum', I really don't want to have a hand in my pocket.

It may be that a bold, authoritative verbal response would resolve the situation, but it's also possible it can exacerbate the situation or antagonize the person.

We have to realize, this isn't the movies where liberties are taken that in reality would land us in jail. If we pull a gun, we will have to prove that we were in fear of our lives and it will cost a lot more than a dollar or so we may give a bum or whatever he maybe.

Another pretty good option is to toss the money to the side/rear of the person so he has to move and direct his attention away from you. That may buy enough time to retreat.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    At close distance you are a sitting duck for a perp. In my PO I would put her behind me and start putting distance between you and the perp. If it comes to a knife vs. gun fight distance is your friend. I'll pass on a piece of advice that my academy instructor told to me. "get off the X" and always keep moving, because X is the spot where you are in the kill zone.

My wife (who carries also) and I have gone over this exact type of scenario.

Here is what we have agreed to do. She and I will both draw when the scum bag reaches after being told we don't have any money or we are not giving him anything. She will turn to protect our rear from a possible attack by an accomplice and I will take care of the threat we already know about.

We both carry. We both train together, we are each others back up.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

IMO, if you perceived it as a threat and you have the opportunity to go back into the store, do that. Call the authorities and state you have a suspicious man in the dark parking lot who approached you in a manner that you believed to be possibility threatening by his hands in his pocket. That way you are not the one trying to figure out anything, let the authorities do that. Your job is to keep you wits, keep you and your loved ones safe, and the best CCW is your brain.

Only if you don't have the opportunity to avoid the situation to you bark out commands, once you take that path you have to be prepared for what ever happens after that.

Know your surroundings, park closer to the entrance at night.

But IMO avoid it by simply walking into the store until you feel the possible threat is gone.

I have on occasion been in situations where someone was approaching me and my date, once during daylight at the back end of a parking lot (because I hate parking close) and has he approached I said, "I ain't interested and to walk the other way" which he did. Another time it was in at a place where at night, I know the area is known for robbers at night downtown MPLS. I knew when I parked to be ready, but me and my dated needed something from a (type withheld) store, that happened to be in that bad area. We both scanned the area after we parked, and even when I got out first it was clear. I walked around to her side of the car, opened her door and this man comes out of the alley extending his had as to say "whats up bro", I said back off, step away NOW, he took a few more step I said "STEP OFF NOW 3, 2, .. then he turn away. My date was still sitting the car door was open, and my baby eagle was already cocked and down at my side the second I saw him and I told him to back off, and he did not comply.

I am "not saying" it was right to have already pulled my weapon, but from the Military if I tell you to STOP and you don't obey, I perceive it as an unwelcome approach.. so approach at your own risk. I do believe that if he had continued, I would have not hesitated to point my firearm and order him to leave or get face down.

Maybe I was wrong for handling it that way, I guess the question is would I do it again the same way, knowing what I saw at the time, and perceived. The answer is YES!
    1st Combat Engineer Battalion - Pistols Ruger P44, Baby Eagle .45, HK45 Full Size

I need to find out if in Nevada you have to retreat, I know in some states you are not required to.
    "People should not be afraid of their governments; governments should be afraid of their people".
    -- V for Vendetta

NRA Associate Member

Quote Originally Posted by NickEMT View Post
    I need to find out if in Nevada you have to retreat, I know in some states you are not required to.
    It shouldn't be an issue of 'have to' more than 'can you'. If you 'can' retreat, that is exactly what you should be doing, regardless of what you can legally do.

True enough. You're absolutely right. I just hate the criminal feeling that he scared another "victim". Ahh . . . better than going to prison. Thanks for bringing that up bonehead.
    -- V for Vendetta

NRA Associate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Interrupt. Left hand raised low in the universal "stop" gesture, and: "Don't got any." Anything other than backing up and saying sorry on his part is asking to gargle OC.
    Yup...and then watch him dance around the parking lot, crying and puking. Then quickly lay your hands on the next level, just in case.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    You could reply. "If you want I'll call the cops for you and they will put you on the bus at no charge and get you were you need to be."
    ^^^^best answer ^^^^

...but I'd also have my hand on whatever "alternative solution" i deemed necessary to the situation, should the guy not think that that me calling the cops is a great idea.
    I thoroughly disapprove of duels.
    If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand
    and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
    -Mark Twain

I'll look past him say everythings ok officer when dipstick turns to look I'll run like a little girl
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by smotta View Post
    I agree with Nick, but before I ordered his hands out of his pockets I'd order him to turn and face away from me. I don't want him knowing where I'm standing if in fact he is planning to pull a pistol from that pocket.
    You'd have to flash your CCW badge for that to have any weight.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Beggers or robbers

The minute this guy's hand went into his pocket and he made a verbal threat I would have my hand on my gun.I would not shoot unless this guy produced a weapon.
    Since my wife is with me It would be another reason to take that extra precaution. If your wife happened to be pregnant she hight not be able to make a fast get away. If this guy were really begging for money his best bet would be out in front of the store where it is lighted instead of lurking in the dark and scaring the crap out of people.
    I don't look for trouble and avoid it when I can.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Interrupt. Left hand raised low in the universal "stop" gesture, and: "Don't got any." Anything other than backing up and saying sorry on his part is asking to gargle OC.
    Raise your non shooting hand chest level doing the universal "Stop" Sign while as you extend your arm horizontally. Verbally and in a sharp tone of voice (not screaming) say STOP. At the same time your shooting hand raises and stays outside the cover garment at the level of your firearm (without actually going for it or displaying it) while your whole shooting hand side turns away slightly from the possible BG. Have direct, no nonsense visual contact with the possible BG but scan quickly side to side for possible accomplices. If necessary move laterally, never backwards and do not lose sight of the possible BG and keep scanning until he withdraws or gives you enough space to move to a safe area, not necessarily your vehicle!

It is not necessary or desirable to start a witty verbal sparring with the panhandler. Never escalate things by saying anything that the guy may interpret as insulting or demeaning. That might look good in the movies, but in real life you always de-escalate the situation.

Leave the ego at home.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links