Approached leaving CVS Pharmacy - Page 3

Approached leaving CVS Pharmacy

This is a discussion on Approached leaving CVS Pharmacy within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Great Scenario. I lived on a pretty rough part of Tucson and we usually found ourselves at a Walgreens about once or twice a month ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Approached leaving CVS Pharmacy

Great Scenario. I lived on a pretty rough part of Tucson and we usually found ourselves at a Walgreens about once or twice a month for Rx. I have considered this scenario. First of all, I am not quick enough to think out the snappy comeback so props to you if you can. I have been approached by many panhandlers so I usually keep some change or usually a buck in the front pocket so I dont have to go to my wallet, whats the saying about eggs and a basket? If it escalated I would have to deal with the situation how I felt best.

Since I have 40 lbs on just about nobody but my fiancee the intimidation factor is never on my side. If in this case it was, I would be tempted to treat the starving guy to a steak dinner. When the guy throws his hands in his pocket, my hand goes to my shirt, left hand comes up in the stop motion. I dont brandish but since his hands are going to his pockets I have to react accordingly. Shouting something like "get your hands out of your pocket" very loud would hopefully startle him and attract some attention. I would hope that if something did happen, the first thing anyone who could be a witness heard was "get your hands out of your pocket." I also have a witness watching me (fiancee). I do agree with going back into the store to call the police never turning our backs.
    "The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by NickEMT View Post
    ...the man gets an irate look on his face, both hands go into his jacket pockets and he says, "No, you look here!".

Stop...
    I tell the SO to go back to the store and call 911. Keeping myself between the BG and the SO, strong side away, begin backing up towards the store weak hand removing cover garment, strong hand getting a grip. "I don't want any trouble! Please take your hands out of your pockets and move along!". I will be scanning for accomplices on my left and right, the SO had better be watching for what I can't see behind me.

Variable 1 - The BG makes a threatening statement, ultimatum, presents a weapon, I draw and aim...more variables, play it how it comes.

Variable 2 - The BG begins to follow me, I draw, low ready repeat my last statement...more variables, play it how it comes

Variable 3 - The SO shouts "ON YOUR LEFT" or right, whatever, I draw, move quicker to get the BG and the second person in my line of sight low ready, make sure the SO is in the clear...more variables, play it how it comes.

Variable 4 - The BG begins running at me, JAM has been met, I will stop the threat. I am not going to get into a physical altercation with someone of unknown physical abilities (I don't care if I am taller and heavier, he is the aggressor) and risk either losing my sidearm or taking a beating. I have bad knees, bad shoulders, and a flat disc in my lower spine. H2H will aggravate those conditions if not incapacitate me.

Variable 5 - I hear a bang or something that qualifies as a gunshot coming from the direction of the BG, JAM has been met, I will stop the threat presuming the BG does not have the skills to point shoot a gun from a pocket and perform a one shot stop on a 8" wide target at 30 feet (I am really thin standing sideways - remember strong side away moving back to the store). Pray the wife does not say anything other than "Shots fired, hurry the up with the police and paramedics."

Variable 6 - We make it back to the store, and wait for the police to arrive to make a statement.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Raise your non shooting hand chest level doing the universal "Stop" Sign while as you extend your arm horizontally. Verbally and in a sharp tone of voice (not screaming) say STOP. At the same time your shooting hand raises and stays outside the cover garment at the level of your firearm (without actually going for it or displaying it) while your whole shooting hand side turns away slightly from the possible BG. Have direct, no nonsense visual contact with the possible BG but scan quickly side to side for possible accomplices. If necessary move laterally, never backwards and do not lose sight of the possible BG and keep scanning until he withdraws or gives you enough space to move to a safe area, not necessarily your vehicle!

It is not necessary or desirable to start a witty verbal sparring with the panhandler. Never escalate things by saying anything that the guy may interpret as insulting or demeaning. That might look good in the movies, but in real life you always de-escalate the situation.

Leave the ego at home.
    Different experiences. "Stop" has brought on, "What!?!?, What da F___!!!" IME. Local panhandlers do vary. My area would tend to view the "traditional" warn-off as a challenge/dismissal, YMMV.

I keep my hand no higher than sternum for unrestricted view, and to be in postition for #3.

VIP Member
    "As soon as you finish saying these words, the man gets an irate look on his face, both hands go into his jacket pockets and he says, "No, you look here!".

I don't think this can possibly end well. You risk being knifed or shot, or perhaps just hammered, if you try to retreat. You risk your liberty if you show a firearm. You risk hand to hand if you close the distance.

Maybe just move off the X and see if the game is on or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Red82 View Post
    Since his hands go into his pockets and with his tone my hand at least gets a grip on my weapon at this point.
    That's where my hand would be..... plus telling him to 'back off' and "keep your hands where I can see them".

I wouldn't pull my gun... immediately.

It's funny this happend to you at a CVS. Not long ago I was at a CVS in my area that had (not any more) an ATM on the outside wall next to the entrance. I used the ATM and went into the store. Upon exiting the store and returning to my vehicle a skinny crack head looking guy comes from behind the car parked right next to mine with his hand in his coat pocket like he had a gun pointed thru the pocket and demanded my money. The problem is that he got much too close and afforded me the oppertunity to grab his weak side elbowspin him and pin him to the car next to mine with his "gun arm" pinned to the car. He would have to shoot thru himself to shoot me. BTW I'm 6'2" and 325 and it's not ALL fat. I then beat his head on the car until the threat was over. It was all too close to draw my weapon and the aggressor afforded me the chance by not really knowing what he was doing. He really must have been deserate because I don't look anything like a "victim" but one never knows. All ended well and he pled out in court. Went to jail for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by karlmc10 View Post
    It's funny this happend to you at a CVS. Not long ago I was at a CVS in my area that had (not any more) an ATM on the outside wall next to the entrance. I used the ATM and went into the store. Upon exiting the store and returning to my vehicle a skinny crack head looking guy comes from behind the car parked right next to mine with his hand in his coat pocket like he had a gun pointed thru the pocket and demanded my money. The problem is that he got much too close and afforded me the oppertunity to grab his weak side elbowspin him and pin him to the car next to mine with his "gun arm" pinned to the car. He would have to shoot thru himself to shoot me. BTW I'm 6'2" and 325 and it's not ALL fat. I then beat his head on the car until the threat was over. It was all too close to draw my weapon and the aggressor afforded me the chance by not really knowing what he was doing. He really must have been deserate because I don't look anything like a "victim" but one never knows. All ended well and he pled out in court. Went to jail for awhile.
    Well done! But, one must really question his mental stability and reasoning abilities if he targeted a 6'2" and 325 lb man for an up-close robbery.
    Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

In MN if an exit exists you must take it. End of story, no stand your ground law here yet.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Interrupt. Left hand raised low in the universal "stop" gesture, and: "Don't got any." Anything other than backing up and saying sorry on his part is asking to gargle OC.

same.

Tell your "partner" to wait for the dang morning to get ice cream, and go back to bed....end of story. Unless there's an "emergency" I wouldn't put myself there in the first place.....very interesting post though.
    ((Place funny, whitty comment here))

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I'll look past him say everythings ok officer when dipstick turns to look I'll run like a little girl
    LOL

I've had many of these types of incounters mainly while pumpin gas....people who don't take no for an answer. I usually add a bit of comedy (still very alert)to lift tensions and for me to gauge how serious this might get. Most of the time the comedy part has worked and they move on.

When comedy hasn't worked I will stare directly in the eyes with no emotion, solid stance, and no sign of alarm and say "no" again....usually this shift from nice/funny guy to unfliching seroiusness has sent the message and they have moved on...most of the time talking trash...which I ignore.

So, said dude has hands in pocket and is getting pissy? I won't show that I'm alrmed (I'm WAY alarmed adrinaline pumping, about four different scenerios have already played out in my head and have a solution for each one) and stay calm to still tell him that this isn't going anywhere and to excuse myself, and carry on my marry way all the while keeping good spacing and heading to the car ignoring him. Everything else is speculation.

To show that I'm armed or the inclination that I'm armed is the last step I want to use, cause if I'm goin to reach...I'm goin the full nine yards. The last yard is me pulling the trigger and a human dieing...absolute LAST resort.

Wow. Thanks for all the awesome replies. Just so everyone knows, this is a made up scenario. This did not happen to me. I'm sorry if I portrayed it that way.
    "People should not be afraid of their governments; governments should be afraid of their people".
    -- V for Vendetta

NRA Associate Member

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links