Thank you guys

Thank you guys

This is a discussion on Thank you guys within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I've read thru these posts for the last few months and thought everything from: "no way, lier" to "holy cow, luck and training really ...

Thread: Thank you guys

Thank you guys

So I've read thru these posts for the last few months and thought everything from: "no way, lier" to "holy cow, luck and training really paid off there."

A few days ago the wife, son, and I went to the sons swim lesson and afterward he wanted to get the truck dirty so I headed down a dirt road that we'd been down several times prior, it's a dead end and just runs about 3/4 mile to a mega monster sign along the interstate. About 1/2 down I noticed a guy walking down a turnoff that was quite muddy and had fresh tire tracks. Trying to impress the wife with my kindness, I stopped and asked if he had gotten stuck. (Long boring part shortened) The turnoff was only about 200 yds long. He told us that he owned a business just down the turnoff and that they had a problem with people dumping trash and vandalizing the property. He reported to LEO and due rough terrain they could not petrol. The local LEO, according to him, asked if he had a gun and permit and suggested that he petrol. I didn't really believe him but then he decided that it would be a good time to pull the Glock out of his jacket pocket. I don't really process much more of the conversation because all I could think was: "that's a deadend, narrow road, rough, family in car, gun in center console, no finger on trigger, relax, no need yet to reveal my secret, no finger on trigger, family in car, no finger on trigger" etc. I told him that we were gonna head off for lunch and turned down the turnoff, and didn't see him again.

Over lunch the wife complemented me on staying cool and not grabbing my gun ASAP when he pulled his out and started handling it.

Because I've been reading this site I now know how important it is to analyze the situation and make the best decision, and that brandishing a gun isn't always the best decision. Kinda strange to read that on a Pro-Gun site, even though I wrote it. Thanks guys, keep posting.
    Mykel

more later...

Man, I'm glad it turned out OK. That could have turned bad fast!
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    That could have turned bad fast!
    Quote Originally Posted by mykeld View Post
    ... how important it is to analyze the situation and make the best decision, and that brandishing a gun isn't always the best decision.
    Two very important lessons to keep in mind. Ain't it the truth.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Wow. I hope you said thanks when you said your prayers last night.
    A word of warning; if you can afford to do more Bear does not recommend giving your wife two pieces of bubble gum for her birthday.

I wouldn't be stopping for strangers on a dark lonely road with my family in the car (probably not when alone, either)...that aside, you are lucky he was not some wacko...he had the drop on you.

Points to ponder...
    The police told him to arm himself and patrol the 'area'? (I doubt that.)
    He has a successful business on a dead end, no traffic road? (What is he, an drug dealer?)

Stay armed...we all learn lessons...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Glad your OK.
    Did you think about reporting the guy for branishing? He's a menace and could get him self shot.
    Note: acts of random kindness has gotten many good people killed!
    Live and Learn.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

All the above,thank god you didn't become another statistic,There is no way LEO is gonna tell somebody to play cop on a stretch of road off his own property,sounds like a cop wantabe
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Over the years of reading horror stories about people who were killed when they stopped to help someone, I made the decision to never stop for anyone, especially when the wife and kids are with me. Now if I witness a wreck or something, I will stop and assist, but for someone walking or broke down, no way. I do feel bad about that sometimes, but at least I get home to my family every day. Glad everything worked out for you though.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Well played my man--learned a whole lot from this site too :)

One word... Lucky!

Administrator
    Good job!

Distinguished Member
    I am glad there were no fireworks.

Sponsored Links