CC for SD, not to defend others.

This is a discussion on CC for SD, not to defend others. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just asking a question. I think it is important to help others, but why does honor and charity extend to defending others who have not ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Just asking a question.

I think it is important to help others, but why does honor and charity extend to defending others who have not armed themselves.

I might, defend someone, I might not. But my #1 goal when I practice with a handgun and CC is to defend myself and my family (maybe friends) in a SD situation.

So often on this site I see threads about sheep, wolves, and sheepdogs. Why is the only honorable option being a sheepdog when it comes to SD and CC?

So often on this site I see threads about sheep, wolves, and sheepdogs. Why is the only honorable option being a sheepdog when it comes to SD and CC?
    IMO: most often it is because the person saying they would "jump in and save the day" have secret desires of being a hero and given the key to the city by the mayor and a parade in their honor.

Off Duty my guns are to protect me and mine, and an "identified" LEO that is in trouble. My agency has a real clear policy on this, and basically, "off duty means off duty. Let the on duty personnel handle it."

Here's a link to some "light" reading.

Commentary by Evan Marshall

It talks about "intervening" in situations that aren't your concern.

Biker

Senior Moderator
    Not everyone is capable of arming themselves.

Each man or woman that carries a gun for self defense must make the determination what they will or will not do before a situation presents itself.

Every one must know their limitations. What may be correct application for one person,may not be the correct course of action for another.

There is no right or wrong blanket answer as every situation is different, the morals and skills or mindset may be different.

You just have to do what you have to do when it requires it and if not, live with the consequences for the rest of your life.

Right, wrong, what ever it may be.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    IMO: most often it is because the person saying they would "jump in and save the day" have secret desires of being a hero and given the key to the city by the mayor and a parade in their honor.
    The keys to the city AND a parade? Woohoo!

This is a cruel world that is growing worse daily. One must learn to take care of himself/herself and the family.

We arm ourselves to be able to defend ourselves and our families, not the neighborhood, not the shoppers in the parking lot, and not even the neighbors who are dealing with crime.

Stepping into a situation that is clearly not directed at us personally is, in my opinion, walking a very thin line between jail and law suits.

We are not protectors of the public...we do not arm ourselves to protect and serve, but to avoid trouble.

I will be a good witness and call 911. There are just too many variables in any potential crime situation of which we might not be aware.

My involvement in any scenario that has the potential for violence and the use of a weapon will be a situation in which I have no other viable option i.e., run, hide, call 911, apologize, avoidance, etc.

Stay armed...protect the family...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Rarely on this forum do I see anyone wanting to save the day with hidden hero syndrome.

There are those that have posted that they would help someone in need or take action even if it isn't friend or family in certain situations.

From my time on here it seems that those people that are willing to give a ride, or helping hand or go out of their way to help their fellow man, are quite often the ones that are willing to place themselves in jeapordy to save a life as well.

Others are not, whether it be for fear of life, possible monitary cost, or simply out of lack of concern for their fellow man.

Do what you feel is right for you. Only you have to live with the consequences. No one else can make the descision for you.

I make choices based on how I would want people to act for me or my family. You know the old, do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

just like retsupt99, when I carry is for me and my family only, I'm not jumping to 3rd party disputes.

now if we talk scenarios, thats a different topic.
    NO 3rd party disputes

The power of imagination is the key to life.

It helps you think ahead, consider the possibilities,and prepare you for the future.
    If you lack that ability, you're no different from livestock trapped behind a fence.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    This is a cruel world that is growing worse daily. One must learn to take care of himself/herself and the family.

We arm ourselves to be able to defend ourselves and our families, not the neighborhood, not the shoppers in the parking lot, and not even the neighbors who are dealing with crime.

Stepping into a situation that is clearly not directed at us personally is, in my opinion, walking a very thin line between jail and law suits.

We are not protectors of the public...we do not arm ourselves to protect and serve, but to avoid trouble.

I will be a good witness and call 911. There are just too many variables in any potential crime situation of which we might not be aware.

My involvement in any scenario that has the potential for violence and the use of a weapon will be a situation in which I have no other viable option i.e., run, hide, call 911, apologize, avoidance, etc.

Stay armed...protect the family...stay safe!
    Very well said Mr. retsupt sir, and my view exactly.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Rarely on this forum do I see anyone wanting to save the day with hidden hero syndrome.

There are those that have posted that they would help someone in need or take action even if it isn't friend or family in certain situations.

From my time on here it seems that those people that are willing to give a ride, or helping hand or go out of their way to help their fellow man, are quite often the ones that are willing to place themselves in jeapordy to save a life as well.

Others are not, whether it be for fear of life, possible monitary cost, or simply out of lack of concern for their fellow man.

Do what you feel is right for you. Only you have to live with the consequences. No one else can make the descision for you.

I make choices based on how I would want people to act for me or my family. You know the old, do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

There are different ways to look at it, and I think none are wrong.
    Family.
    Family and friends.
    Anyone in danger.
    Anyone in danger dependent on perceived risk to self.
    Anyone in danger dependent on risk to family/others.
    Farronwolf has a good point as to the golden rule.
    One more viewpoint is the person you don't take down today may attack you, your family, etc next.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    ...Here's a link to some "light" reading...
    That is a great link.

IDK. If a person was being attacked by a BG, I would want to help. Want is different then should. Someone who has a CC "should" practice. Someone who CC "should" defend themselves (IMO).

Now I would not let some BG reload and start shooting again or the 1000 situations where it is clear you are in a position to do something. I'm talking about preparing for those no clear choice situations (the line between LEO and armed citizen).

I just can't find myself saying I "should" defend a stranger until I am in that situation. Several people mention this. Many would also agree, you should prepare yourself for a response. So, with that in mind, I think the right choice should be a simple no for non LEO.

Distinguished Member
    I carry a pistol for the purpose of self defense and the defense of my family. My plan is to move myself and family away from a threat. If you are with me, I will help you to safety, but not at the expense of my family.

With that said, it is in my nature to help others. When there is a disturbance I look to identify a possible threat and determine my next action. Can I safely assist? Will I be in the way or make things worse?

I feel we dont have a firm grasp on our limitations we tend to exaggerate our abilities and minimize our mortality. Additionally, I feel we can get caught up in the nobility of self-sacrifice.

I carry primarily to defend "me and mine". That does not mean I will necessarily stand by or bug out if someone else is in danger. If something happens in my presence I could see myself getting involved if I don't have my family with me. If they are with me, their safety is paramount.
    I am not looking for a parade, or the key to the city. But now if they have a coool medal to give me.......
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    So many variables...that the question can not be truly answered. But being a good witness, call 911 is a no brainer that we all should think before acting. Introducing a weapon into the scenario can have very bad consequences (just ask the family of the individual that got killed by the police when he went outside with a shotgun or the fire fighter's family that got killed at the wrong house)

Well said ret...

Rick

Whether to intercede is a case by case basis. Untill something starts to happen one really doesn't know what they will do. Many times people interfere when they shouldn't and sometimes they don't when they should. Stay aware, be safe, and do what needs to be done when the time arrives.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links