What do you say?

What do you say?

This is a discussion on What do you say? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, here's the situation: You are in a somewhat risky situation, dark parking lot, parking garage, or other area; walking down an industrial fairly deserted ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you say?

What do you say?

OK, here's the situation:

You are in a somewhat risky situation, dark parking lot, parking garage, or other area; walking down an industrial fairly deserted street (which is similar to ours, near a really nice RV park. One or possibly two males approach, asking for direction, money, or whatever. They stop 6-8 feet away. You're on alert, but no necessarily obvious need for concern (beyond high alert). What would you say?.......what would your body language communicate.... Thanks

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    If asking for directions, trying to keep my distance, would give them if I had them, all while making my body language show that I am on alert, and while scanning for other threats and places for cover.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    My normal behavior would be to just say "sorry" and keep walking. Minor variations are possible...if someone asks for money, I'd say "sorry I don't have any".

Dunno if that's the right thing to do, though...
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

I think that you are thinking into this too much. Listen to your instincts and you won't be the underdog. Pack the most reliable and powerful firearm you can with the most capacity you can and that should be enough. I mean, are you going to need more than 9+1 of .40 S&W GDHPs in a usual firefight? (I'm talking about a very concealable H&K P2000SK or G27)

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
    ...They stop 6-8 feet away. You're on alert, but no necessarily obvious need for concern (beyond high alert). What would you say?.......what would your body language communicate.... Thanks
    I would say (to myself) "I let them get far too close". If I saw them first at a range of over 20 feet, I would take action to keep the distance from decreasing. If they popped into view at a closer range, I would "move off the X" in a direction to get a decent distance between them and me. I would not say anything to them, just watch to see if they try to follow.

Within 8 feet, if they have bad intentions and the means to execute them, you're toast.

Sponsor
    I would offer them a Bologna sandwich, a very expensive glass of wine with a fine Cuban cigar, and ask if they had any single sisters over 21 years of age.

OR

say , "Sorry, cant help you with that." and move along.
    Mark Craighead
    Owner/Founder
    CrossBreed Holsters LLC
    http://www.crossbreedholsters.com

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I doubt I would say anything.I am under no obligation to talk to anyone.

Only happened once (before most carry laws...1983). Baltimore waterfront, 2:00 a.m. and I'm heading for the barge I supervising the discharge of to take final measurements, carrying a Colt Mark V. Two guys coming towards me a couple of blocks away...they cross to my side...I cross to the other side...they cross to my side (we repeated this once more). They got about 20 feet away and I drew...they ran. End of story.
    You'll rock, with a 357 Glock

VIP Member

Good fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Spike32 View Post
    .I cross to the other side...they cross to my side (we repeated this once more). They got about 20 feet away and I drew...they ran. End of story.
    That was good luck. It could have ended badly because there was no "legal" cause for drawing your gun. OTOH---maybe not a lot of real choice in the matter.

Only happened once (before most carry laws...1983). Baltimore waterfront, 2:00 a.m. and I'm heading for the barge I supervising the discharge of to take final measurements, carrying a Colt Mark V. Two guys coming towards me a couple of blocks away...they cross to my side...I cross to the other side...they cross to my side (we repeated this once more). They got about 20 feet away and I drew...they ran. End of story.
    I think this situation says it all. A good way to figure out the intent of these strangers is to cross the road. It makes the situation obvious, then you can do what you got to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    I would say (to myself) "I let them get far too close". If I saw them first at a range of over 20 feet, I would take action to keep the distance from decreasing. If they popped into view at a closer range, I would "move off the X" in a direction to get a decent distance between them and me. I would not say anything to them, just watch to see if they try to follow.

Within 8 feet, if they have bad intentions and the means to execute them, you're toast.

OP,

Anubis is right. 8' is way too close. If you can (if the gun is small enough), you want to have moved your "carry" from your holster to a coat pocket and have your hand already around the grip.

Make distance now.
    Last edited by KenInColo; December 14th, 2008 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Added "Anubis is right."
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

In a dark, deserted, "risky" back area, two males walking in step with each other approach to within 6ft? That's far too close, for me. I would absolutely be on alert, under those circumstances. Everything would depend on the eyes, demeanor, and how they reacted to my changing direction, or my backing up as they continued to come directly at me despite my attempts to maintain distance.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    I'd be more concerned about what is behind me. It could be a set up, and other accomplices could be waiting in the shadows. I'd tell them I don't have money on hand, sorry or that I don't know the area well, I just moved here. Then get outta there asap.

This WAS the correct action...I would have done the same.

The signals were plain, disparity of force was obvious...

To the OP...

I wouldn't/don't let individuals get that close without a verbal warning and hand signal to stay back.
    I do not want to appear friendly, happy, or ready to be a victim. I get loud and very unfriendly...it's worked so far.

Stay armed...have a plan...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I would definitely have my weapon in my hand, cocked and ready. Anyone who gets closer than 10 feet would get to see it.
    NRA, IDPA, GSSF & GSSA member
    Certified Glock Armorer

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links