"Honey, Someone is walking down the hall" at 3am - Page 2

"Honey, Someone is walking down the hall" at 3am

This is a discussion on "Honey, Someone is walking down the hall" at 3am within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Hopyard ...And, here is where some of Jang's comments about not leaving the safety of you home in other threads comes to ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    ...And, here is where some of Jang's comments about not leaving the safety of you home in other threads comes to play---why leave the bedroom if there is no one else in other bedrooms of the home?

As for attempting to get to a car as a safe place in the middle of the night (Jang's suggestion above), I guess that depends on what exists you have from your bedroom, where the car is, and whether or not there are accomplices outside.

I can't get to my garage without going through the entire span of the house from bedroom to garage. I can get to my gated back yard but then not to my car; in fact I'd be somewhat trapped in my back yard.
    Yep, this is where folk have to be able to think and do situational analysis on their own and on the fly, toward always an ultimate and immediate primary goal of scratchless unbruised survival.

Sometimes staying out doesn't work and such a case would be a home invasion where it's known or even suspected that a breach of the homes perimeter has _already_ occurred. The other scenarios I spoke to in other threads are those where the issues are 1) known to be existant, 2) confirmed to be amongst the exterior surroundings, and 3) it's known that the home is secure and has not been breached. This specific scenario is not such a case.

I would leave the bedroom and take my wife out of the house itself _prior_ to even thinking of attempting to clear the house.
    Thus I would not know with surety that the other bedrooms are not inhabited by an uninvited person or persons plural.

As to existing yes that definitely depends on the layout of ones own home, which most likely you will know far better than a burglar.
    And to that the location of the vehicle(s) that I might attempt to flee to.
    If no vehicle(s) are available then you adapt and overcome with a new plan of safety. Same for if there are accomplices remaining outside. You work with that and assume it too.
    As to being in your backyard you're never "trapped". At the point go to ground and flee to a neighbors home if near by. If not and they are yards or miles away then well again you adapt and overcome, with an emphasis on scratch & bruise minimization.

As to the house and it's contents, knick knacks insured and relatively easy to repair or replace.
    Far easier than that of your wife or own self.

No one play works for every situation everywhere, for everyone.
    Thus the reason why play books most often have multiples of pages.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

You did fine , as you said ,there is a difference
    between knowing someone is in your home
    and just checking out a noise.
    Been there , done that
    PS .my noise was a new ice maker
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

I believe the O.P. did what his conscious dictated.

I have read the 'Should I or Shouldn't I' question a bunch of times.
    My thoughts; Prudent or not, most of us fellers what have the Sheepdog tendencies are gonna go check out the noise. That's the way it is. It may not be wise to do it, but alot of that depends on your experience level, training, mindset, and circumstances.

I was a firefighter for awhile and it does take a different breed to run INTO a fire when prudence demands the opposite action. Duty, necessity and training overides this. Same as 'running to the sound of the guns'.

I would venture that if most of us KNEW someone was in our house, we would not go looking to engage them unless (as has been mentioned) we have other loved ones that require us to put at risk our own safety to offer hope of it to someone else.

My experience has been been if I 'think' there is no one in the house, (dogs haven't gone apes***, etc) but I am not going to be able to sleep until I KNOW it for sure, (to say nothing of my wife's, therefore my own piece of mind) I am going to check things out and make sure things are still secure. Maybe not the best idea. Can't help it.
    I am no Superman, but I ain't your average bear either.

You just got to evaluate the situation and your cirumstances and react from there. No two scenarios are the same. It's what makes life interesting.
    OMOYMMV
    This is the law;
    The purpose of fighting is to win.
    There is no possible victory in defense.
    The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.
    The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. - John Steinbeck

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    That's what my wife told me at 3:15 in the morning a couple of nights ago. I thought she was talking in her sleep (she has talked in her sleep before) until she repeated it with a sense of urgency. You guys that have been married for a long time know when the tone of your spouse's voice conveys that seriousness and urgency... Made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck, instant rush of adrenaline. We are currently empty nesters.

I had been about half asleep/awake and was pretty sure she had dreamed it for 3 reasons.

1) We have a driveway alarm that will ring the doorbell whenever anything breaks the plane about 200 feet from the house. (but if someone avoided the sensor the house can be approached)

2) The wood flooring in our hallway creaks when someone walks on it.

3) My dog never made a sound, but he is not infallible.

But anyway, I got up with my handgun and a tactical flashlight and searched the house and double checked all the doors and windows.. nothing found! Everything was still locked.

My wife then realized that from where she was laying she could not see the doorway to notice a shadow passing down the hall.

I sleep stark naked and I did not take the time to pull on shorts before I cleared the house (although I keep a pair beside me on the floor). I don't really care about modesty if there will be possible intruder, perhaps my nakedness will cause a distraction (or blind the intruder).

We live in the country, the closest neighbor is 500 feet away.

A few minutes later my dog started barking outside but quickly ceased. I was convinced that she had been dreaming. I probably should have checked outside but my dog would not have stopped barking if there was an intruder, didn't want to go out in the cold, or take the time to get dressed.

It took a while to calm down enough to fall back asleep.

Put yourself in my shoes..

Any criticisms?
    Ghosts?
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

VIP Member

Ghosts

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    Ghosts?
    I have some relatives who firmly believe in them, though I do not at all think they are real. Am quite certain they are not.

Sometimes, it makes for some interesting discussion when "things that go bump" are attributed to ghosts.

We layed in bed and we both heard clear definite steps coming down the wood floor hallway .... I had gun in hand ready.... and then "nothing", and found no-one. It happened several times and my wife (now an Ex) decided it was a ghost.

Whatever you do, don't do what the one guy did.... he heard something, went to check (wife still asleep) and she claims... she heard an intruder and thought her husband was still in bed, so when the guy entered the room... she shot the intruder (her husband).

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Right after you wake up, if you were dreaming, your brain is in a state halfway between awake and asleep. Things that are only your imagination may seem completely real...

This is normal. I suspect it is the cause of a lot of 'ghost' reports (along with carbon monoxide).

Anyway, I would say you should not be shooting at anything until you have been awake a good 10 seconds or so. Before then, you cannot really be sure if what you are seeing is real or a dream...
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

I think you did a good job Yoda. I've had a similar experience or two in my 20 years being married.

You just have to check it out and then try to calm down enough to get some sleep. And that isn't easy sometimes.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I sleep stark naked and I did not take the time to pull on shorts before I cleared the house (although I keep a pair beside me on the floor). I don't really care about modesty if there will be possible intruder, perhaps my nakedness will cause a distraction (or blind the intruder).

I have found that leaving the "boy's" dangling in the wind, so to speak, enjoying their "freedom" is a way to feel very vulnerable. At least put on a Kilt or something mate.

The act of putting a Kilt, Dressing Gown or Pants on will help to awaken you and clear the "fuzzies" from your mind. You are trying to go from a period of sleep to one of "SUPERCHARGEDCAFFINEOVERDOSEHYPERACTIVITY" in less than 0.002 Seconds. Do yourself a favor and put some clothes on. The act of doing so may wake you up enough to survive the encounter.

Believe me, if you have an intruder in your house they are already in this super-charged state.

Biker

cj
    Sounds like you did fine. Can't imagine how much different I might handle it...except if I was stalking around stark naked with a gun, a few, "C'mere boy!" and "Squeal like a pig" in a deep gruff voice might make someone reconsider their current activities...just let them consider it a preview of what they might hear in prison

I'm thinking that if his wife had seen someone then they were a little to close to be getting dressed. As an aside, you could just go whole hog and start sleeping in your BDUs, LBE, and with your rifle strapped across your chest hahahaha. Oh those were the days.

Same thing happened to me once,cleared every room in the house including the closets,no one there,come to find out wife must have been dreaming.sj

hope you don't have ghosts......
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

CDH
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    We are currently empty nesters.

Any criticisms?
    Not a criticism, but the one thing that stood out for me was the "empty nester" comment.

I of course don't know your situation at all, but I'd be willing to bet that you might have given one of your adult kids a key to your house?
    And if it had been one of your kids coming in at the middle of the night for some reason (daughter beaten by husband or son in some kind of serious trouble... sorry, not inferring anything, just coming up with reasons for a late night visitation by one of the kids), the dog may have barked just like you described and then stopped because he (the dog) knew the person.

So you getting up "ready" for action and then seeing a movement in the hallway without being prepared for it to NOT be a threat could easily end up in a bad situation for your family.

I'm just suggesting that even when under stress in a situation like this, you have to keep cool and "act" while avoiding just "reacting".

My .02

CDH
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    We layed in bed and we both heard clear definite steps coming down the wood floor hallway .... I had gun in hand ready.... and then "nothing", and found no-one. It happened several times and my wife (now an Ex) decided it was a ghost.

Whatever you do, don't do what the one guy did.... he heard something, went to check (wife still asleep) and she claims... she heard an intruder and thought her husband was still in bed, so when the guy entered the room... she shot the intruder (her husband).
    Well, that explains the "ghost" after all.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links