Possible Highway Ambush...

This is a discussion on Possible Highway Ambush... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Welcome openroad (ironic name considering the blocked road). I'm in Michigan too and can tell you it is getting bad around lower MI due to ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Possible Highway Ambush...

Welcome openroad (ironic name considering the blocked road). I'm in Michigan too and can tell you it is getting bad around lower MI due to the dead economy. I'm in a small town and there have been 4 armed robberies of businesses in my area in the last week. The store owner actually thinks he shot one of the BG last night , but by the time MSP,sheriff,locals and border patrol got there, the BG's were gone.Top on my list of advice to anyone in Michigan is ...GET YOUR CPL AND TRAIN TO PROTECT YOURSELF AND LOVED ONES!!! It is only going to get worse. Also don't assume everybody is on the up and up. Sounds like you were being set up, but you reacted well.I wouldn't travel without a weapon on or near me.

2. Remove Ads

I used to be a restaurant repair tech for Hobart corp and have found myself in similar situations Such as a failed holdup. You can find yourself in the worst neighborhoods in the very early morning hours. I bet you carry your gun all the time now . I know I do. You are lucky you didn't get stuck while backing up.

I would not have gotten out of the truck - certainly would have called 911 like you did though. LEO needed to respond now, not later, as the road was blocked and it was not your job to clear the tree from the roadway. When out in the boonies, anything can happen and it could have been hours before they found your body.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Reacting as best you can with the information you have...

Quote Originally Posted by TravisABQ View Post
    "Overreact"?!

You had no way to ascertain whether it was an ambush until you moved the tree and were still alive.

Even with a pistol I would not have stayed anywhere near what could well have been an ambush spot. I would have gone the opposite direction and taken a different road. You were lucky.

Thanks for the warning Travis, I realize every scenario has an element of risk, however I believed due to the single set of tracks and footprints leading in/out of area I was safe to exit vehicle. Some assumption was required as it's possible perpetrator dropped off someone before blocking road, but not likely. I felt some small responsibility to deal with obstruction (if I felt reasonably safe) due to the 55mph speed limit and low visibility. Small car swerving to avoid tree, crashing into woods, etc. Again, no LEO or patrol car would be coming for quite awhile and an accident was quite likely, blowing snow & icy roads.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down & lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, & may posterity forget you were countrymen.

You understand!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    I used to be a restaurant repair tech for Hobart corp and have found myself in similar situations Such as a failed holdup. You can find yourself in the worst neighborhoods in the very early morning hours. I bet you carry your gun all the time now . I know I do. You are lucky you didn't get stuck while backing up.
    The declining Michigan economy and my line of work are the two primary reasons I went ahead and got my CPL. Like you said Tom, early mornings and late nights are when I'm working. I do very similar work as a Hobart tech and often find myself loading/unloading tools and equipment behind restaurants in the dark. Sadly I see it being a few years (probably at least 4, but that's a different topic) before the economy gets back on it's feet in Michigan. Until then there's a fine line of desperation for a lot of folks without jobs. My sympathy is with them, but crime/robbery against their fellow man is never the right option. Tonite there's a Bersa .380 running service calls with me.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down & lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, & may posterity forget you were countrymen.

I seem to recall one or two stories of murderers who pretended to be stranded or distressed motorists. When people pulled over to help, the good samaritans got shot.

Did you overreact? Heck no.

-JT

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Cloud View Post
    Sounds like the guy was cutting a Christmas tree on somebody elses property and thought you may be the owner!!! Who knows...people are crazy. It's always better to be safe than dead. Good Job.
    +1.
    But it still would get the short hairs on end.
    This is the law;
    The purpose of fighting is to win.
    There is no possible victory in defense.
    The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.
    The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. - John Steinbeck

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Cloud View Post
    Sounds like the guy was cutting a Christmas tree on somebody elses property and thought you may be the owner!!! ............
    This was my immediate thought as I was reading the story. Being cautious and aware is never over-reacting so in that sense, you did just fine. Good thing you weren't so far out in the sticks that you couldn't get cell coverage. But, I'd bet a steak dinner that Fast Cloud hit it right. The guy was probably 5-fingering a Christmas tree and got out of Dodge when he saw your headlights coming down the road.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Heh good chance of that. Also... of foul play. Personally, I would have told that nice, cheerful, warm and dry dispatcher to get a officer out there PDQ and done what I could to get some distance, even if that meant diving on the wrong side of the road. That's just wierd.

I think your thinking/actions were similar to what I would have done.
    I enjoy reading different situations that may be encountered
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include thier own government --George Washington

Obviously not an accident...man or nature being the cause. It was either a plan for a crime or a prank (teens do some stupid things).
    Next time, have your gun...that could have been a tremendous regret if the BG's did show up.
    I would have turned around (if possible) and headed the other way...driving a 6,000lb bullet.

Glad you remained safe!
    Congrats on being alert.

Note: I spent a lot of time in the Cherry Capital.

Stay armed...alway, if possible...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

scm
    I've seen several "Did I over react?" threads and I view it this way:
    - Did anyone get hurt? NO
    - Were you forced to reveal to anyone you carry a gun? NO
    - Are you alive enough to log on and read the forum? YES
    You didn't over react. You took diligent steps to preserve your life and well being. Good job.

I've been out on roads like that.... a lot. No, being cautious out there is wise.

I might have waited for a LEO, but can't say for sure since I wasn't there. All I know is that you're alive/not hurt, so you did excellent.

I got the chills just reading that story. It just screams "ambush!"

We just got over a HUGE ice storm here in NH. Definitely suspicions. People were making road block similar to what you described and stealing generators out of people trucks when they went to move the tree.

Good job. BRING YOUR GUN! If allowed, I would also consider getting a little pistol grip shotgun to keep in your truck.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links