I realized at one point how defensless I really was

This is a discussion on I realized at one point how defensless I really was within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As some of you know I have recently gotten in to Taekwondo, well I thought I'd start buying training equipment for this new venture of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I realized at one point how defensless I really was

I realized at one point how defensless I really was

As some of you know I have recently gotten in to Taekwondo, well I thought I'd start buying training equipment for this new venture of mine and got one of those torture, I mean leg stretchers and as I was sitting in it last night stretching in preparation for my belt test tonight I started thinking...

I am as vulnerable as the day I was born. I had my pistol in the safe, not on me, and here I am sprawled out in the living room and the only things in reach were the phone and the TV remote.

It hit me that now might be the time to invest in a belly band, or one of those expensive compression hostler shirts.
    Last edited by JD; December 18th, 2008 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Cleaned up link, fixed title.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    ...or just have your weapon near by Paco.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I just walked in from my job (can't carry at work...)(cant' have it in the car at work either...).
    As soon as I walk into the house, I open the safe and take out the Kimber and either put it IWB, or on the end table next to me.
    When at home or not at work...my weapon stays with me.

Stay armed...24/7 (if you can)...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have 4 kids (11, 9, 6, 4, and one on the way) so if it is not on me, but next to me in the floor, I'm afraid I'll forget it if I get up to get anything.

I suppose I could stick it in the middle by the quick release latch, which came in very handy last night after watching an entire movie in this thing.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco

Stupid question... why not use a SmartCarry? I would think you could leave it around your waist and then pull it down to your hips when you're done doing... whatever you were doing
    Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

VIP Member
    Kids do make it tuff... keeping it on you seems the safest option all around. Back to the Belly Band or SmartCarry!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Smart Carry all the way, if you've never used one, you'd be amazed all the activities you can do while wearing one.
    "People should not be afraid of their governments; governments should be afraid of their people".
    -- V for Vendetta

NRA Associate Member

Quote Originally Posted by NickEMT View Post
    Smart Carry all the way, if you've never used one, you'd be amazed all the activities you can do while wearing one.
    I am thinking about one, even with a full size pistol it just looks more comfortable than a belly band, and I really can't see spending $30 on an undershirt.

-Paco

Who needs a gun when you can kick like Bill "Superfoot" Wallace?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Papi View Post
    Who needs a gun when you can kick like Bill "Superfoot" Wallace?!?!
    I can't, which is why I bought this blasted torture device. I can only stretch out to 90 degrees right now, but over time I feel I will be abel to kick people in the head much more efeciently than I can now

-Paco

off topic: Be careful with the stretching machines...make sure you are also doing strengthening exercises so you don't cause problems by being flexible without the muscle to support the range of motion.

kicking people in the head isn't really a useful method for self-defense purposes anyway...(unless they're on the ground )
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    off topic: Be careful with the stretching machines...make sure you are also doing strengthening exercises so you don't cause problems by being flexible without the muscle to support the range of motion.
    Yeah, I've also dusted off the weights and am starting on that as well as getting back in to cardio. I'm tired of loosing my breath after only 100 jumping jacks.

kicking people in the head isn't really a useful method for self-defense purposes anyway...(unless they're on the ground
    But it sure is fun when doing light sparring in class to catch someone off guard and not walk funny afterwards.

Luckily my instructors don't just teach TKD, they have mixed some Kenpo in with it, since their instructor taught them that way. They also teach why we are learning certain blocks and strikes, the real World application and not just the pretty stuff like double roundhouse kicks, etc.

-Paco

Ever thought about a shoulder holster? As soon as i get home (if I'm not planning to go back out), I lose my pants or shorts for sweats or bball shorts. and toss a shoulder holster on.

(best Homer impression) mmm sweat pants.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Paco, congrats on the martial arts! What belt? I am a red belt TKD and can throw a spining back kick into someones throat if need be. Practiced on those BOB head things at 6'4". I also studied hopkito, great grappling, arm/leg bars and all. Great for close up, thinking of it I should practice my kata's. But IMO in that position I would also go with shoulder holster, like rhino stated.
    CHP holder. EDC G27. I support VCDL, so glad to have them fighting for my rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    I am as vulnerable as the day I was born. I had my pistol in the safe, not on me, and here I am sprawled out in the living room and the only things in reach were the phone and the TV remote.
    I couldn't imagine not feeling safe in my own living room. I have fairly quick access to a loaded firearm from any room in my house but I have never felt I needed to be armed 24-7 in my own home. I know folks will flame me for posting this and probably direct me to various horror stories about home invasions but I think it's important to be able to get somewhere (like your home), where you feel safe and can let your guard down a little.
    Hope I didn't de-rail the thread too much.....I have a feeling I'm gonna be sorry I posted this one!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links