Strange Visits - Page 2

Strange Visits

This is a discussion on Strange Visits within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My son used to answer the door with his Boa Constrictor hanging around his neck. That ran several solicitors away. Now, he answers the door ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strange Visits

My son used to answer the door with his Boa Constrictor hanging around his neck. That ran several solicitors away. Now, he answers the door with his Springfield 1911 on his hip, cocked and locked. He hasn't said whether he still carries the snake though.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by tonytigerhk45 View Post
    I would have stepped around the corner wiping my gun down asking "who is it honey" letting them see that your not a safe mark.
    or that you would be a good score.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I simply don't answer the door if I'm not expecting anyone. Obviously that wouldn't have worked out in the OPs case, but it does keep me from having to talk to a bunch of folks who I don't have any interest in talking to.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

1943 - 2009
    A woman knocked on my front door one day last week. She was fairly attractive and nicely dressed and carrying a small portfolio. She said she was out signing up my neighbors for a free thousand dollar giveaway. I told her sorry, I'm not interested, thank you.

She got this absolutely shocked look on her face, like I had just told her her dog had died or something. It was probably a rehearsed look, I think.

She said "Are you sure? It's free."

I said "Lady, nothing is free, have a nice day," and closed my door.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    she said "are you sure? It's free." i said "lady, nothing is free, have a nice day," and closed my door.
    love it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I have ticked my wife off more than once by taking over the conversation with comments like "the lady said NO!" and slamming the door. She doesn't think I'm very nice. Maybe I should go to charm school?
    I'm with you on this one.

Sounds like your fiance did a good job of handling the situation after she realized the woman at the door was a guy. I might have mentioned my dog was a Rott or Pit puppy, but anyway...

I also wouldn't personally flash a weapon in view just to make a solicitor go away. If it works, okay fine... but if they are a bug then now they know you've got a piece and they may take it as a sign you've got more and are a good mark. I'm of the opinion the less that know what ya' got, the less that can try to take it. Good job on this one, I think you did well at staying ready in the background while your woman shut him down.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down & lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, & may posterity forget you were countrymen.

I don't open the door without looking out of the window first. No one has to ring the bell or knock on the door anyway...our Rhodesian Ridgeback knows when someone in approaching the house...and he definitely demands attention.

If I desire to meet with a stranger at the door, I can quietly exit out of the garage and surprise visitors (while armed) from a different angle.
    Solicitors (most of them) are quickly disappointed at my home.
    I do buy girl scout cookies from the neighbor's kids...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member

Retsup, this is exactly what I do

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    If I desire to meet with a stranger at the door, I can quietly exit out of the garage and surprise visitors (while armed) from a different angle.
    :
    This is exactly what I do. It keeps trouble outside the house but still on my property.

Folks living in apartments or homes with certain layouts, won't find this an option.

What I like about doing it that way is I can retreat to the interior of my garage--with a steel door between garage and kitchen; and that garage is still the interior of my home for sd castle purposes. Any fight will be isolated, and away from where my wife is. Even if I am harmed, no one can get inside.

It is amazing what a Machete and word of mouth will do. After about the fourth person was met by me with a machete in hand I stopped getting bothered by people. They always seemed to show up just as I was going out the door to cut blackberries.

I either don't open the door, or open the door to tell the solicitor(s) to take a hike.

Mostly, they're merely annoying. The only one that really bugged me and put me on alert was someone asking about kids in the household.

-JT

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I have a No Solicitors sign, if they ignore that they are told NO once then they are left talking to a closed door.
    +1

I was coming home from a hunting trip once. (Pheasant and deer) I noticed a door to door salesman at my neighbors house and knew they'd be coming to my door next. So I slipped my guns out of their cases. (1 shotgun and two rifles). I carried the two rifles inside and made sure to wave at the salesman. I went back to the truck and got the shotgun. Again I waved at the salesman. Then I went back for each case one at a time. Waving at the salesman and my neighbor. So it looked like I had just carried 6 guns into my house.

Funny thing. That salesman never came to my door.
    You can't fix stupid. Ron White

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links