Strange Visits

This is a discussion on Strange Visits within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok Second attempt. First time, my computer froze and wiped everything out... Ugh So we have been experiencing a higher volume of door to door ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange Visits

Strange Visits

Ok Second attempt. First time, my computer froze and wiped everything out... Ugh

So we have been experiencing a higher volume of door to door soliciters lately with the holidays. This really puts me on edge because I personally don't feel comfortable enough to answer the door to some of these druggie looking people who can't look the person they are trying to sell in the eye. I also will let you all know that soliciting in this complex is "not tolerated" but little is done about it. Either way, here is something that happened tonight and please feel free to critique as I feel we handled the situation well but there is always room for improvement.

7:50pm
    The fiancee and I are having dinner in the dining room (of our 1BR apt) discussing the appointment that we have scheduled for 8pm. We were expecting a lady to come over and go over some investment options we have. Not my idea but whatever. The dogs as they always do, rush to the door and start growling. Then a knock. Dogs go ape and start barking.

Fiancee asks me to put our boy dog away as he is the more aggressive one (all 10 lbs of him). I grab him and she picks up our girl dog and opens the door. Much to my suprise as I kennel our boy after praising him for being a good watch dog, I hear a male voice. We are expecting A female. First alarm. My boy dog is still seeming very aggitated and is now doing this sort of low pitched growl that I have not heard.

"I'm sorry we can't help you." I hear her say, then some indistinct talking.
    "I know it is the holidays..." I grab my holstered pistol and attach it to my pants. I head to our kitchen which is perpendicular to our door. She has the door only cracked as she is talking to the man.
    "Again Im sorry , I know its the holidays but..." he interupts
    "Are you sure?"
    This guy is starting to bug me now.
    "I am sure thank you." She answers.
    "What kind of dog is that?" He asks.
    "Daschund. Good..." Before she finishes he tries to interupt again.
    "No way. I..." This time she slams the door and locks it.
    I ask her what that was all about. She tells me he first asked her if she had seen some kid, then tries to sell her on some magazine subscriptions. WTH?!?! I was pretty angry at this point. l I feel she did very well minus not looking through the hole first and answering the door barefoot. OUR mistake was that we assumed it would be our company. It wasnt. 10 minutes later the lady called to advise she was cancelling our appointment.

Part of me wanted to take over the conversation at the second interuption, but I was also happy with my position. Had person decided to forceably enter, I would have had element of suprise and the optimal angle as far as the neighbors are concerned. I am happy the way things went but please feel free to let me know what you think.
    "The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them." Mark Twain

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I have ticked my wife off more than once by taking over the conversation with comments like "the lady said NO!" and slamming the door. She doesn't think I'm very nice. Maybe I should go to charm school?
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member
    I have a No Solicitors sign, if they ignore that they are told NO once then they are left talking to a closed door.

Administrator
    You did fine. If you don't have a peep hole get one. The are cheap and easy to install.

I have a huge dislike for people trying to sell junk or ask for money on my phone or doorstep. If I want to buy something, give money away or talk to Jesus, I know where I need to go to do such things. I usually have fun with them and try to sell them random junk from my house. Sometimes I'll just let the dog chase them, sometimes I'll pretend I'm mute. It just depends on my mood.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    go to charm school?

Would that be Me Lucky Charm School ?.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I usually have fun with them and try to sell them random junk from my house.

I am doing this next time one of these guys shows up at my house, that is hilarious.
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

I've been know to whack the the bible thumpers in their forehead with their bible and ask them how it feels.

Sales persons, or donation seekers...Nope, sorry, can't help. Door closes and deadbolt closes with a loud click.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Hmmm...

I think you did right. My wife is way to friendly and nice to random people who stop by. My take is, unless I already know you, or am expecting you - I don't have time for you.

It isn't that I'm NOT friendly - hell no, I'm a great friend - it's just that I have this deep sense of distrust for all that I haven't met yet, or chosen to befriend.

Nope, I say you did the right thing. (except maybe have your gun already in your hand in case things went south in a hurry).
    Trying to leave as large a carbon footprint as possible.
    Shivering in the "heat"
    Innocent as doves, wise as serpents, armed like wolves.

I usually see them coming and call our courtesy officer who is also a deputy. When he catches up with them and explains the definition of trespassing to them, they usually leave pretty quick. If they don't, well, he gives them a free ride out of our community.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

There was an article in a local alternative newspaper here (Houston Press) about magazine solicitors, particularly the teens who do it. These are groups run by nationwide organizations that get these teens off the street in some cases, or out of halfway houses, and bus them all over the country knocking on doors. Many of the teens have issues, drug problems, or records.

So, if someone comes to your door selling magazine subscriptions, they are almost certainly NOT from your local high school (ask a few questions if you want to find out). Be careful.

I like to have fun with them also, If it's an Anglo Ill speak
    to them in Spanish or just sign them.

Thats a good idea SIXTO I'll try that next time LOL
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks all. Yeah and that is what she told me. That she wants to have a pistol hidden somewhere easy to access that only we know about. Ill do a search on that around this board. Thanks for listening to my story.
    "The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by ccman View Post
    go to charm school?

Would that be Me Lucky Charm School ?.
    That almost made me spit my coffee all over my computer. Good job with the situation. Everyone's safe and that's all that matters.
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’
    — James Earl Jones

I would have stepped around the corner wiping my gun down asking "who is it honey" letting them see that your not a safe mark.
    Tony Medlin

"One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them."
    --- Thomas Jefferson to George Washington, 1796.

That would have been good LoL! I couldve yelled out "dxmit honey would you get back here?!?! The snake got out again!" Why dont I ever think of these things till the next day?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links