A little "downtown" experience

This is a discussion on A little "downtown" experience within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You all know what old downtown areas look like. Once they were thriving businesses, now many shut down and boarded up, though a few stay ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A little "downtown" experience

VIP Member

A little "downtown" experience

You all know what old downtown areas look like. Once they were thriving businesses, now many shut down and boarded up, though a few stay anchored in their original locations. Certainly not a good place to go at night, and during the day a likely place to have your vehicle broken into, or get hit up for a few bucks.

This business I needed to go to was a one-of-a-kind that had a specific purpose I could find no where else other than traveling a LONG way. So I'm inside their business talking to the lady across the counter (just she and I) and from my back I hear the door open and the lady look over my shoulder and she stops waiting on me and asks the visitor how can I help you?

I turned around and standing inside by the door is a young street-type of guy that by his looks you would never expect him to be a customer. He's about 12 away from me, and he didn't appear to be the hyped up or jumpy type, and he asked her do they have any outside or day work that he can do for them. My hands had casually and instantly gone in my pants pocket as I turned around, I'm standing there facing him and giving him my undivided attention looking at him up and down. Not in a threatening manner, but with my best ex-leo scrutinizing face. He says he needs 30 cents more so he can buy something to eat, she said I have 15 cents on my desk, you can have it. He took it, mumbled some kind of thanks and headed out the door.

After he left I told her that I was glad to be there since she was alone, and she said yeah, but I also have my panic button.

While I was eye-balling this guy, I had my hands in my pocket and had used my thumb to loosen my LCP off of it's pocket holster. I was watching this guys hands, and he had them clearly out so I could see them. Though my gun was a bit small, I was positive I was "ahead" of him. Action beats reaction. I'm thrilled that nothing happened, maybe he was up to something, maybe he just needed more 30 cents?

My title says "little" and that's exactly what it turned out to be. I'll never know, but it did turn out to be a good "exercise".
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post

Though my gun was a bit small, I was positive I was "ahead" of him. Action beats reaction. I'm thrilled that nothing happened, maybe he was up to something, maybe he just needed more 30 cents?
    Be careful with that mind set. You're never ahead of reaction, and as you said yourself, action is always faster.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    After he left I told her that I was glad to be there since she was alone, and she said yeah, but I also have my panic button.
    You never know, her panic button might have been a larger caliber than your LCP.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Her panic button may have been a nice big Desert Eagle hidden under the counter.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

VIP Member
    No, too bad, I'm pretty sure she didn't have a gun, it certainly wasn't hidden behind the open glass counter, she showed me where her electric panic button was after he left, apparently she truly relied on it.

If his hands were in his pockets, and my hands were in my pockets, and he drew a weapon against me, then technically I'm way behind him in a bad way. His empty hands were clearly in the open, my hand was on a weapon, he's behind me. Not much different than encountering a stranger who I can see his hands, though he can't see my hand on my weapon. Had my gun been concealed "deeper" in some manner, there would have been no chance for me, other than some diversion or odd luck.

All in all, this could have been a hair-splitting-timing-scenario-event or not.......we'll never know. Certainly if death is imminent you'd better take whatever miniscule chance you have.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post

If his hands were in his pockets, and my hands were in my pockets, and he drew a weapon against me, then technically I'm way behind him in a bad way. His empty hands were clearly in the open, my hand was on a weapon, he's behind me. Not much different than encountering a stranger who I can see his hands, though he can't see my hand on my weapon. Had my gun been concealed "deeper" in some manner, there would have been no chance for me, other than some diversion or odd luck.
    So at what point would you have drawn? When he stuck his hand in his pocket? I hope not. How about when he produced a weapon? Thats a little better; but you're still behind his action.

I see you point, you did the best thing possible. But there is no way to get ahead of the BG action unless you're actually already pointing the weapon at him.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'm not picking on anybody, I swear I'm not.

If you knew you were going to get in to a gunfight, and you could only carry a handgun, would the LCP be the one you would carry?

Biker

LCP will do the job if you do yours

When I must go to/through a questionable area, I take extra mags, not my P-3AT.
    That's just me.

Stay armed...carry the right tools...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post
    LCP will do the job if you do yours

I've never seen any evidence of the 380 ACP being an effective self defense device. Sure, some people will drop to the floor at the first shot (myself, for example!) but others will simply grunt and move in for the kill. To deny there are more effective self defense handguns out there is pure nonsense.

Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Bouquett View Post
    I've never seen any evidence of the 380 ACP being an effective self defense device. Sure, some people will drop to the floor at the first shot (myself, for example!) but others will simply grunt and move in for the kill. To deny there are more effective self defense handguns out there is pure nonsense.

Perhaps you could provide research/factual data to confirm your conclusions?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by semperfi.45 View Post

As to the LCP: I'd say carrying the LCP is better than leaving your 5 inch Govt. model at home. It's better than using harsh language or your "panic button" too.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

If you had your hand on your LCP and you were scoping that guy out, that little voice in your head was telling you something. Obvously, that guy was checking out you, as well as the store.
    I think you did a fine job and made the other sheepdogs proud!

Quote Originally Posted by SugarmillMan View Post
    If you had your hand on your LCP and you were scoping that guy out, that little voice in your head was telling you something.
    Good on you
    كافر

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links