It was just the wind right??

This is a discussion on It was just the wind right?? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I thought it was the "wind". It was 2 a.m. and windy. The dog growled (not barking like usual) and jumped in the middle of ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It was just the wind right??

I thought it was the "wind". It was 2 a.m. and windy. The dog growled (not barking like usual) and jumped in the middle of my chest with both front feet to wake me up because I didn't react 'instantly' (dang that hurt.. all her weight into the middle of my chest). Hummm, she normally barks, but she's wanting me up and is growling (a deep mean sounding one) ..... at full alert. (smart dog).

I hear the screen door make a noise, figure it's the wind, then the thud and someone is messing with the door knob from the other side... jiggling it, etc. and trying to get it open. I'm standing there, gun in hand , waiting for them..... lol. AFter a few minutes, I go out the door and check the immediate area and find no one, but lots of places to hide themselves too. I make it obvious in the back light... I have a gun in my hand... just in case they are watching, I'm giving them a message.

While outside , I make a comment I won't repeat... but anyone hiding nearby would hear it.

Later I mentioned this to the Police Cheif when we were talking. He asked "why didn't you call 911 ". I told him, at the moment ... I was more concerned in being able to defend myself than sitting with you on the phone. He asked if it occurred again, right after I got my gun, if I would call him personally.

Thinking about it, they could have checked the area for anyone around and checked them out if they found someone, then known who was out doing what in the neighborhood. So, next time... I'll call 911, right after I have my gun in my hand.

I also put 911 on speed dial.

2. Remove Ads

Notice the Aussie also dropped back to guard the wife when you moved toward the door. Gotta love a good dog.

Stay safe.
    Bob

VIP Member
    Excelelnt story and advice from the posters. I have a similar experience. After about 20 years living in the same mobile home, I was keyed in to every sound (reminds me of something that happened last night - see below). I'm in bed after 10PM. No screen door but there is wind. But there are heavy foot steps and a jiggling of my door knob. I readied my FS 45 and called the cops - Dekalb Cty., Ga. are some of the best. They were there no sooner than 20 minutes but in force - at least four officers as I recall about 10 years later. A thorough search around my lot found nothing. Maybe my door was mistaken identity?
    Last night (from my bed - seems like I spend about a third of my life there), I heard a loud pop inside or on the exterior wall of my unit. (Flashback to trailer park - my trailer took a .22 round in one side and out the other which woke me from my nap. It sounds like a little rock hitting metal walls twice in quick succession. I didn't discover the cause until at least a year later. The cop's demonstration of the trajectory backed his theory that some jerk took a random shot from the nearby expressway. If I had been sitting the the living area - I might not be telling these tales). I listened and slowly readied my newer FS 45 and crept into the living area to check the doors. Locked as I left them and all clear inside.
    Today, I found a lid had blown off of the slowly perculating Indian resaurant condiment container left sitting on my counter.
    No wonder I lost some well-needed bedtime hovering over the john.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

What could you have done differently? Depends on the dog. I've got a German Shepherd that I've sent out on a long line many times while I stand waiting at the door armed and ready. He knows his job and he's more than willing to die doing it. Personally, I wouldn't have a dog that didn't understand this very basic concept. To me, its unreasonable to call the police every time you want to double check a sound you've heard. We've all been there and flooding the 911 system with spooky noise calls seems counter productive to safety to me.
    They can't take your right to own a firearm. They can ask with force and you can answer any way you choose.

Quote Originally Posted by ImChad View Post
    ...... We've all been there and flooding the 911 system with spooky noise calls seems counter productive to safety to me...
    Except this was not just a strange noise, but his screen door!

VIP Member

Home Invaders

Imagine for a moment that you are a home invader. You are armed and have a few moments of recon on an unsuspecting target. Your game plan is to hit hard and fast. You want to try the lock by turning the knob first one way and then the other after flinging open the screen door if there is any. At this point, depending on whether the door is a barrier, you are either taking control of your target by ordering shocked residents to lie down or beating a hasty retreat.
    It's noone's judgement to call 911 but the person who is experiencing the "noise", disturbance, or stiffening hair on the back of their neck. How many times have I read to heed my gut? The cops don't complain to me about crying wolf, flooding the system, etc.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links