Defensive Carry banner

It was just the wind right??

2K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  Pistology 
#1 ·
felt a need to ask here and see if i did the right thing tonight.

So here is the set up... its about 10pm the wife is down stairs reading a book, with both dogs with her. Im upstairs working on her PC...:rant: that doesn't seem to want to play nice. when i hear my screen door open with a bit of a bang.. now it is wind here tonight but as i listen it kinda sounds like the door was open fast and pressure was place on the main door to our home. at this point both dogs are going off loud and before i can even clear my seat, my aussie is up the stairs in the door way barking at me with a look of its go time. I just make it clear of the doorway to the computer room before she is at the foot of the stairs barking at the door.

As i reach the first landing of the stairs i have the USP clear, safty off and hammer back and only at that point does my aussie stop barking and moves to 1/2 way between my wife and the door giving me clear room to the front door.

now no one in the house is moving or making a sound, all of us are listining and nothing....?? i walk the rest of the stair on stealth mode reaching the front door and switch on the front light outside... still not a sound... now all my red flags are up...

at this point i can see thru the blinds that doesn't appear anyone is at the front door but it doesnt' feel right so i ask as nice as i can (aka tell the wife) for my wife to go upstairs. the best part was her asking me in a low voice was where her gun was in the case we have. :danceban:

i wait still no more sounds... when i look up the stair way she is at the top with her .40 in hand giving me cover. i let her know im going to open the door and look around...i know i shouldn't do that but i did at first leave the chain on the door. with the door cracked open i see are screen door is open and no one in line of site.

I reclose the door and remove the chain and look outside ...:tumbleweed: not a soul to be seen. so i back up into the house relock the door and wait a few before i let her come down the stairs.

now im kinda unsure if it was just the wind or was someone checking house for an early xmas discount?? my wife said it sounded like someone opened the screen door and tried to open the main door. i do live in a nice area but some of my people around me aren't the best class of peopel (the townhome we share the front with i belive the young lady likes to walk the street....:tired:) and behind us we have a once a week episode of cops due to the fighting....

and please don't hold back if i did something wrong let me know..

See less See more
#3 ·
I have my SR9 on me as I am sitting here on the couch and my shotgun within my wingspan. Yeah, there have been a couple times I have clicked the safety off. At the same time, I did not remove my computer from my lap, get up or put down my beer.

Dare I say, it seems like a bit more reaction than was necessary, not "over-reaction," but I would be a skinny guy with multiple stomach ulcers and high blood pressure if that was my reaction every time I heard a noise and my dogs barked. In the case of an actual emergency, you and your wife's reactions seem to be pretty good (besides the "wheres my gun" moment) and would have kept you as safe as possible, without going outside.

I'm not going to lie to you, I would go outside after too if I was really convinced that there was someone there.

#4 ·
I agree, have wife call 911, keep 911 on hold.

Odds are it was the wind, or it was a one time attempt. But what sucks, is this could be the first attempt at checking your reaction.

Tough call. Happy I'm not you, as my mind would be buzzing.

PS: In my part of town (nice place where today all the neighbors dug the street out of several inches of snow together (and someone brought hot coco, etc.) locks are as important as lights. Hope you have sensor lights up and / or a poarch light on.

#5 ·
I was with you until you opened the door...:yup:...no need to do that.:nono:
I would have turned off the lights to 'wait and watch'...two guns pointed at the entrance would make for a great welcoming committee.

I wouldn't have called 911 until I heard further noise or movement.

OMO

#6 ·
My opinion exactly !
I don't want to call 911 for nothing, they are spread out thin and the response can take 20 minutes.
When I built my house, I laid it out so I can see all the exterior from inside.
Don't be in a big hurry to go out, unless there is a compelling reason to do so.
Put yourself in the BG shoes; he knows he has been detected, there is no sign of panic; the inside goes dark, the outside lights are bright, very scary !!! Find another house !!!

Note: My motion detection outdoor lights are set to the shortest delay (1 minute) so I can get an idea of anybody moving around; yeah there is also permanent low lighting thanks to LED - 30 bulbs draw 2 watts.

#7 ·
I wouldn't have opened the door until I was sure no one was around, and then only long enough to secure the screen door. I wouldn't call 911 yet either. Why waste city/county resources if not needed.
One of your best resources is your aussie. There is a big difference in their alert bark/posture and their guard posture. Both of the aussies I owned in the past let you know if something/someone was in their territory. Their barking ceased and all you would hear was a deep in the chest rumbling growl. Their looks can be deceiving. Beautiful and sweet dispositions, but highly protective of what is theirs and fearless when protecting it.

#9 ·
One of your best resources is your aussie. There is a big difference in their alert bark/posture and their guard posture. Both of the aussies I owned in the past let you know if something/someone was in their territory. Their barking ceased and all you would hear was a deep in the chest rumbling growl. Their looks can be deceiving. Beautiful and sweet dispositions, but highly protective of what is theirs and fearless when protecting it.
I have to agree with you on that one... only a few times in the last 3 years of having my aussie have i heard that sound come from her. that night was one of them.

i do agree that stepping out side left me open to a something possible bad. but i guess thats that whole youth vs exp. deal. but what doesn't kill you only makes you better.

thanks for the advice on this

#8 ·
You lose your advantage as soon as you step out side. Turn off inside lights, turn on out side lights hunker down watching and listening.
I get ***** and bears on my porch/deck trying to rummage the metal trash cans, that can be a loud noise in the middle of the night. I know the feeling, motion lights are a big help.

#10 ·
Having a wife in LE, it is still best to call 911. They prioritize their calls and you need the evidence of reasonable fear. Trust me, one of the first questions is going to be, "so you walked around for 10 minutes and did not call 911?" Your are screwed if your answer is no amd used your weapon or other lethal force.

The flip side, the LEO need the call numbers to justify increased manning. If you do not feel you should call 911, you probably do not even need to have your weapon out based on this scenario. Plus since you will not be going outside, someone is going to have to check around.

Have wife call 911, and DO NOT go outside. Keep your advantage by taking up a defensive position within your home.

#11 ·
Talked to local Chief of Police in my jurisdiction, and he said emphatically "no doubt, call 911." If not for yourself, certainly for the elderly neighbor down the street that might be the next target! Remember also, if you must discharge your firearm, it helps to show you had reasonable fear and did everything you could to avoid firing.

It may be worth noting that there have been an increase in home invasions within the Hampton Roads area recently. I live about 40 minutes from OP home.

#12 ·
It sounds like "dawg's" reaction tells the whole story. Not the wind.

I've no idea how they know, but they know.

Dogs use lots of nuanced sounds to communicate and they use body language and well established doggy behaviors. When that dog came to get you, it wasn't for nothing.

#14 ·
If you are going to open the door, let the hounds loose.

(Actually, I take that back. Too much liability if they munch on the neighbor kid.)

Just wait safely inside.

(I've really learned the lesson from this DC board, to stay inside. It absolutely goes against my instinct, but it is the right move and the safest move.)

#16 ·
I thought it was the "wind". It was 2 a.m. and windy. The dog growled (not barking like usual) and jumped in the middle of my chest with both front feet to wake me up because I didn't react 'instantly' (dang that hurt.. all her weight into the middle of my chest). Hummm, she normally barks, but she's wanting me up and is growling (a deep mean sounding one) ..... at full alert. (smart dog).

I hear the screen door make a noise, figure it's the wind, then the thud and someone is messing with the door knob from the other side... jiggling it, etc. and trying to get it open. I'm standing there, gun in hand , waiting for them..... lol. AFter a few minutes, I go out the door and check the immediate area and find no one, but lots of places to hide themselves too. I make it obvious in the back light... I have a gun in my hand... just in case they are watching, I'm giving them a message.

While outside , I make a comment I won't repeat... but anyone hiding nearby would hear it.

Later I mentioned this to the Police Cheif when we were talking. He asked "why didn't you call 911 ". I told him, at the moment ... I was more concerned in being able to defend myself than sitting with you on the phone. He asked if it occurred again, right after I got my gun, if I would call him personally.

Thinking about it, they could have checked the area for anyone around and checked them out if they found someone, then known who was out doing what in the neighborhood. So, next time... I'll call 911, right after I have my gun in my hand.

I also put 911 on speed dial.

#18 ·
Excelelnt story and advice from the posters. I have a similar experience. After about 20 years living in the same mobile home, I was keyed in to every sound (reminds me of something that happened last night - see below). I'm in bed after 10PM. No screen door but there is wind. But there are heavy foot steps and a jiggling of my door knob. I readied my FS 45 and called the cops - Dekalb Cty., Ga. are some of the best. They were there no sooner than 20 minutes but in force - at least four officers as I recall about 10 years later. A thorough search around my lot found nothing. Maybe my door was mistaken identity?
Last night (from my bed - seems like I spend about a third of my life there), I heard a loud pop inside or on the exterior wall of my unit. (Flashback to trailer park - my trailer took a .22 round in one side and out the other which woke me from my nap. It sounds like a little rock hitting metal walls twice in quick succession. I didn't discover the cause until at least a year later. The cop's demonstration of the trajectory backed his theory that some jerk took a random shot from the nearby expressway. If I had been sitting the the living area - I might not be telling these tales). I listened and slowly readied my newer FS 45 and crept into the living area to check the doors. Locked as I left them and all clear inside.
Today, I found a lid had blown off of the slowly perculating Indian resaurant condiment container left sitting on my counter.

No wonder I lost some well-needed bedtime hovering over the john.

#19 ·
What could you have done differently? Depends on the dog. I've got a German Shepherd that I've sent out on a long line many times while I stand waiting at the door armed and ready. He knows his job and he's more than willing to die doing it. Personally, I wouldn't have a dog that didn't understand this very basic concept. To me, its unreasonable to call the police every time you want to double check a sound you've heard. We've all been there and flooding the 911 system with spooky noise calls seems counter productive to safety to me.

#21 ·
Home Invaders

Imagine for a moment that you are a home invader. You are armed and have a few moments of recon on an unsuspecting target. Your game plan is to hit hard and fast. You want to try the lock by turning the knob first one way and then the other after flinging open the screen door if there is any. At this point, depending on whether the door is a barrier, you are either taking control of your target by ordering shocked residents to lie down or beating a hasty retreat.
It's noone's judgement to call 911 but the person who is experiencing the "noise", disturbance, or stiffening hair on the back of their neck. How many times have I read to heed my gut? The cops don't complain to me about crying wolf, flooding the system, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.