What do you say/how vulnerable I am

This is a discussion on What do you say/how vulnerable I am within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just spent a chunk of my evening on you tube watching some cool ccw related video, and ended up watching criminlsgonewild. A few of ...

Thread: What do you say/how vulnerable I am

What do you say/how vulnerable I am

I just spent a chunk of my evening on you tube watching some cool ccw related video, and ended up watching criminlsgonewild. A few of them to be exact. I'm still reeling, not sure what to think. In some of the scenarios presented from the thug-perspective, even the tactics we discuss readily here, seem useless.

So I'm loosing my developing interest in big cities, ready to write them off all together again.

I know personally a few individuals who would pull this kindacrap, I know personally more than one individual who was thugged in an urban setting (their home turf I might add) I lost a not so related relative to murder in a city, AND I've been in several "uh-oh" situations in a city (one or two posted here). My gut says that if CGW is not true, it isn't far from the truth.

My answer to "what do you say": sunglasses, hand on favorite scum dispenser, ridiculous levels of SA, avoid criminal empowerment cities like the plague (not going there if I can't enjoy the experience).

I'm sure there are some rational thoughts and answers. Please, reel me in if you think I'm way out there. Or am I shedding sheep skins and perhaps pulling my head out of the sand?
    H@H

2. Remove Ads

You really should get out of the city. I know that's easier said than done...but whenever you can. If you can't, it's time to adapt. Personally, I quit and I'll never go back.

"Head for the hills..."
    Things are not going to get any better, in fact, they are going downhill quite quickly. It will only take a major terrorist attack here on our soil to unleash man's inhumanty to man...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Go into the light and don't look back! The air is so much cleaner here!
    Pray for our nations leaders!

Cities have higher population densities and more crime generally.......but, there are BG everywhere, even out in the sticks.

Out in the sticks you might run into BG less often, just as a function of population, but if you do, same rules apply.

Just focus on your training, put plans in place, and keep thinking about where and how you want to live.

I avoid the city and urban environs as much as I can but that's a luxury I get. There's more sympathy to re-educate than there is to punish criminals making the idea that crime pays feasible. After watching a few of the videos I can only comment that most of the individuals featured preyed on each other, it's the leading cause of death in males aged 18-24.

The only defense you have besides a weapon is a lack of naivety or beleif in the better angels of peoples nature. Your gut instinct is better tuned to help you survive.
    Desperate people do desperate things in desperate situations.

Heavily medicated for your protection.

Kimber Tactical Custom II, SIS Pro

Cities

The other problem with the cities is the fact that you are not for the most part permitted to protect yourself. NY, Washington, Chicago etc. all have very strict handgun and other weapon restrictions that simply don't exist other places. I know that it is not this way completely and there are exceptions but there is not enough money that could get me working in one of those places - don't even like to visit, but then that is just me.
    NRA Certified Instructor, MADFI Certified Instructor
    Vietnam Veteran, NRA Life Member
    XD 9 MM, 9 MM SC, 9 MM Tactical, XDM 9MM, XDM 40,
    XDM 40 Limited, XDM 5.25 Canyon Creek Custom 9 mm

The truth is not only scarey but also motivates us to make hard choices. I agree with all who have posted so far....the time to migrate out of the cities (and even out of the burbs) is now. The world we live in is changing rapidly and increased crime is only one of the dangers of concentrated population living circumstances in a world of potential terrorist attack, water shortages, high food prices, skyrocketing utility costs ect.... The return to the "simple life" better known as the self-sufficient life (rural) is not just necessary for survival today. BTW: if you have kids, you better move today !! Those public city schools got quite the agenda to dumb down and liberalize your youngsters.

EYE openers are good, Hickatheart.

You really should get out of the city. I know that's easier said than done...but whenever you can. If you can't, it's time to adapt. Personally, I quit and I'll never go back.
    (Thunderous applause).

After I was discharged from the Navy, I swore never to live in a city of more than 30,000 people, and then never in the downtown area. 30 years later, I've managed to keep that promise. Prior to that, I had lived (or really, existed) in Norfolk, Chicago (Great Lakes - 15 months), Long Beach, San Diego, and Columbus, OH (Shore Duty after 2 1/2 tours in SEA). Moved to Monroe, MI for 6 years (and being a Buckeye, I had to say I lived in North Toledo), then to Bowling Green, OH for 22 years. Bought 5 acres 8 miles outside of BG and built a house. Ain't nothin' like country living.

Every time I have to go to Toledo, Detroit or one of the other large or semi-large cities in the area, after a couple of hours, I go in to sensory overload and can't wait to get the hell out and back to a little more sane and open space.

If you can possibly do it, now is a pretty good time to buy or build.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

I lived in Seattle for several years and never liked it, nor did I feel safe. Now I live outside the city, in between the mountains and the forests. Not only is it amazingly beautiful out here, with fresh air and great places to walk and hike, it's also much more relaxing. By no means is my guard down, but I'm not too worried about being carjacked at the traffic lights (the few that we have). Stay out of the cities, embrace nature
    Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Quote Originally Posted by hickatheart View Post
    I just spent a chunk of my evening on you tube watching some cool ccw related video, and ended up watching criminlsgonewild. A few of them to be exact. I'm still reeling, not sure what to think. In some of the scenarios presented from the thug-perspective, even the tactics we discuss readily here, seem useless.

So I'm loosing my developing interest in big cities, ready to write them off all together again.

I know personally a few individuals who would pull this kindacrap, I know personally more than one individual who was thugged in an urban setting (their home turf I might add) I lost a not so related relative to murder in a city, AND I've been in several "uh-oh" situations in a city (one or two posted here). My gut says that if CGW is not true, it isn't far from the truth.

My answer to "what do you say": sunglasses, hand on favorite scum dispenser, ridiculous levels of SA, avoid criminal empowerment cities like the plague (not going there if I can't enjoy the experience).

I'm sure there are some rational thoughts and answers. Please, reel me in if you think I'm way out there. Or am I shedding sheep skins and perhaps pulling my head out of the sand?
    H@H
    Sounds to me like you just got a wakeup call! Shootings in the malls, at the fast food stores and at resturants! The only gun shots I hear are those by hunters, and neighbors out in the yard practicing and plinking! And that's the way I like it! Thiry miles in any direction form my home to any chain store!
    Y'all be safe now, ya hear!

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I grew up in farm country, everybody trusted everybody because we were raised that way. It wasnt until I went into the military that I developed SA. When I had to actually "fear" for my life daily, I learned to be cognizant of my surroundings. Now, 30 years later, my job takes me all over the country. I have seen thugs in the city and rednecks in the country. Sometimes there isnt much difference between them. I consider myself sort of a redneck but I have never been in trouble or committed a crime. I guess my point here is that you can run into a BG anywhere at anytime. Just because you live in a less populated area doesnt mean its any safer than the heart of a big city. Look at Ted Kaczinski (unabomber) who lived in a small cabin in a ravine outside of Lincoln Montana. He lived below Stemple Pass. I have actually hunted in his backyard when he lived there. Or, how about Ted Bundy? He lived in larger cities. Both of these men were very well educated but just cracked. Were they sophisticated criminals or just thugs?

Bad guys live everywhere and I personally think that some tend to move into more secluded areas to keep under the radar. This is a crazy world and we have to learn to survive in whatever environment we are in. Keep your SA on alert wherever you are.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Links