Just feeling "neighborly" again... - Page 2

Just feeling "neighborly" again...

This is a discussion on Just feeling "neighborly" again... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; "It's funny, she automagically knows when something just isn't quite right. She really is normally overly friendly towards everyone which is why when she growls ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just feeling "neighborly" again...

"It's funny, she automagically knows when something just isn't quite right. She really is normally overly friendly towards everyone which is why when she growls at someone, I listen."

Dogs are usually pretty smart that way. They are usually very good judges of character somehow. Must be some kinda 6th sense.

It has to be a different smell. The dog was probably feeding off your alarm as well and went into protector mode. Nice story! Be safe, Merry Christmas!
    "The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Veteran forum members may remember my various encounters with my neighbors as expounded on here in the past. Well, I think we almost had another one Saturday.

For those who don't know the history...in short, one set of my neighbors are well known druggies/thieves/general degenerates. They were supposedly trying to sell the place and move a while back, but that clearly hasn't happened. Onward and upward.

I took the dog out around 7pm so it was already good and dark out. I had noticed earlier in the day that there was a dodgy-looking car I hadn't seen before parked in the neighbors driveway and had noticed the general commotion over there most of the day.

It's been getting back to being cold out again so I had an insulated leather jacket on and usually carry a flashlight and since it was dark I had the high powered, evil, black, assault LED-Flashlight out. My yard is unfenced and borders the dirt road.

While letting the dog do her sniff routine around the yard area (about a half acre of it is cleared and grassy with a few random oak and maple trees), I noticed the unfamiliar car from the neighbors driveway down yonder was basically creeping down the road. I was walking about 25 yards off the road, but couldn't ID the occupants. THE CAR STOPPED...just stopped in the middle of the flippin road in front of my yard!

I've never seen the car before, nor it's occupants(I had seen them once earlier in the day from a quick glance through the trees, across the yard). The car stopped in the road about halfway past my yard(edit for clarity: halfway past the yard borderline, meaning stopped in front of the middle of the yard) and I heard a door open and footsteps in the leaves. The dog(pitbull) picked up on it quick and came running and stopped right next to me growling. She's usually overly friendly and doesn't growl at every little noise so when she growls...it's for real. I swung the flashlight around and yelled STOP. One of the occupants had already made half the distance to me in the dark, but had stopped and was totally silent when I yelled.

The dog was growling rather violently and between the history with the neighbors and the circumstances just not feeling right(closer to the car than the house among other things), I reached back and had a good hold on my 1911 at my 430 of sight.

I told the dog to hold and then yelled over to the guy that the pitbull was off-leash and unless he wanted to be her dinner he should get back in his car. He didn't respond...seemed to be in a daze(i'm guessing stoned)...and he was on my property. At this point my heart was pounding so hard that it was about the only thing I could hear. I yelled "OK" to the dog. That's her "go" word. I trained her so that whenever she's fixed on something to go after that she has to wait for the "OK" and as soon as I give it, she's free to go to work...
    Did you report the incident to the police?

Quote Originally Posted by Mxyzptlk View Post
    No, no point really. Not without any evidence other than my word. At this point it's a simple trespass issue and its going to be my word vs his. So I'm going to need to get a camera up and start recording that whole end of the yard and just give the tapes to the local leo's once a month or something and let them have a field day with them.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I don't know how much border there is between you and your neighbor but it sounds to me like the time is past due for you to spring for a fence. A guy shouldn't have to but like the man said, life isen't fair.

VIP Member
    Maybe he was just going to water one of your trees?

I agree with SIXTO, those motion sensing flood lights aren't very expensive but they work great!
    I have one over our driveway so when the wife pulls in, everything gets lit up. One on the back of the house too.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

If that incident had occurred in my neighborhood, it would have been my neighbor and/or his friends looking out for me by investigating a possible intruder on my property when they saw some guy walking around at night with a flashlight. I am sorry that you do not have good trust worthy neighbors.

I'm glad that your dog did not bite the guy... might have died of a drug overdose!

Quote Originally Posted by Mxyzptlk View Post
    No, no point really. Not without any evidence other than my word. At this point it's a simple trespass issue and its going to be my word vs his. So I'm going to need to get a camera up and start recording that whole end of the yard and just give the tapes to the local leo's once a month or something and let them have a field day with them.
    No point really?

That's an interesting position. You, being very observant, had information about where the car was coming from--a place that has been associated with various kinds of law-breaking, including of a possibly dangerous/violent type. You had a good look at the confirmed law breaker (tresspass) and could identify him, presumably. You could identify the car and its license plate. (You did get the tag, yes?)

Basically, you would be a pretty darn good witness or reporter to a crime and would allow police to investigate not only the tresspass/possible intended attack upon you but also possibly allow another crack at investigation of your troublesome and known law breaking neighbors.

And you pass on reporting it to the police?

That guy that you met up with, who you can identify to some extent...he goes on his merry drug-addled way....and goes and attacks someone less vigilant or less equipped with all the hardware...LED flashlight, 1911 at 4:30, leather jacket (insulated), pit bull, etc.?

There is another aspect that you should consider in reporting the incident. It's surprising that you wouldn't have mentioned it. It has to do with the (probably slim) possibilty that the perpetrator will come back sometime to pay you back for running him off. If he does that and you blow him away to justifiably protect yourself, what on earth do you tell the investigating LEOs about your first encounter? Given your history with the neighbors? And with your public postings about them and their kind?

Interesting position.

If you need any ideas for camera setups let me know, I will help you out.

I wish my beagle would do that.
    " Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master." George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by sui-juris View Post
    I wish my beagle would do that.
    Don't knock a good beagle. They make great alarms. My grandfather had one at one point. Couldn't get that darn thing to shut up and you could hear it clear across the county
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    Just curious---what would VA law have to say about you using force to protect your dog, if Stoned Dirtbag had made an attempt to fight/hurt the dog?
    I think that in many areas, a pet is considered property... so basically, the question is whether you are allowed to defend your property.

However, I agree with previous sentiments. If someone shoots my dog (I don't have a dog, but let's just pretend), then I'm going to assume that they're going to have no problem to keep on shooting. So the situation gets more icky at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by randomorbit View Post
    "It's funny, she automagically knows when something just isn't quite right. She really is normally overly friendly towards everyone which is why when she growls at someone, I listen."

Dogs are usually pretty smart that way. They are usually very good judges of character somehow. Must be some kinda 6th sense.
    The OP'er needs to give himself some credit as well. The dog knows his owner much better than the BG. More likely the dog picked up the owners reaction than knowing the BG was a BG. He as much as said so in the 1st post. we need to obey that little voice much more....

VIP Member
    I gotta say, from experience, I agree with Packinnova on not reporting the incident. Trespass in VA gets you nowhere unless 1) your property is posted, or 2) the police actually SEE the person on your property. Otherwise, it is not a prosecutable offense.

We had a similiar experience with drug house neighbors. Numerous calls to the police, complaints from neighbors, etc. Yielded nothing. Don't get me wrong, the police tried, parking cruisers across the street from the house, an officer up the street would walk his child to the buss stop in full uniform. They even executed a search warrant on the house. In the end, there was not enough to prosecute, so we moved.

Moving might sound like a lousy way out, but sometimes it might just be the best thing.

Good luck Packinnova, stay safe.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links