Just feeling "neighborly" again...

This is a discussion on Just feeling "neighborly" again... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Veteran forum members may remember my various encounters with my neighbors as expounded on here in the past. Well, I think we almost had another ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Veteran forum members may remember my various encounters with my neighbors as expounded on here in the past. Well, I think we almost had another one Saturday.

For those who don't know the history...in short, one set of my neighbors are well known druggies/thieves/general degenerates. They were supposedly trying to sell the place and move a while back, but that clearly hasn't happened. Onward and upward.

I took the dog out around 7pm so it was already good and dark out. I had noticed earlier in the day that there was a dodgy-looking car I hadn't seen before parked in the neighbors driveway and had noticed the general commotion over there most of the day.

It's been getting back to being cold out again so I had an insulated leather jacket on and usually carry a flashlight and since it was dark I had the high powered, evil, black, assault LED-Flashlight out. My yard is unfenced and borders the dirt road.

While letting the dog do her sniff routine around the yard area (about a half acre of it is cleared and grassy with a few random oak and maple trees), I noticed the unfamiliar car from the neighbors driveway down yonder was basically creeping down the road. I was walking about 25 yards off the road, but couldn't ID the occupants. THE CAR STOPPED...just stopped in the middle of the flippin road in front of my yard!

I've never seen the car before, nor it's occupants(I had seen them once earlier in the day from a quick glance through the trees, across the yard). The car stopped in the road about halfway past my yard(edit for clarity: halfway past the yard borderline, meaning stopped in front of the middle of the yard) and I heard a door open and footsteps in the leaves. The dog(pitbull) picked up on it quick and came running and stopped right next to me growling. She's usually overly friendly and doesn't growl at every little noise so when she growls...it's for real. I swung the flashlight around and yelled STOP. One of the occupants had already made half the distance to me in the dark, but had stopped and was totally silent when I yelled.

The dog was growling rather violently and between the history with the neighbors and the circumstances just not feeling right(closer to the car than the house among other things), I reached back and had a good hold on my 1911 at my 430 of sight.

I told the dog to hold and then yelled over to the guy that the pitbull was off-leash and unless he wanted to be her dinner he should get back in his car. He didn't respond...seemed to be in a daze(i'm guessing stoned)...and he was on my property. At this point my heart was pounding so hard that it was about the only thing I could hear. I yelled "OK" to the dog. That's her "go" word. I trained her so that whenever she's fixed on something to go after that she has to wait for the "OK" and as soon as I give it, she's free to go to work.

I'm guessing the charging pit got his attention and he ran back and jumped back in the car and it sped off into the dark.

Needless to say, I think we just about had another "incident". Man I need some new neighbors. I guess I need to talk to the neighbors again and this time remind them to remind their friends that my property is off-limits unless they want to get eaten by the dog or shot.
    Last edited by packinnova; December 21st, 2008 at 08:48 PM. Reason: for clarity
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Senior Moderator
    awww man...the dude probably just wanted to wish you a Merry Christmas and the dog scared him off...

now, we'll probably never know...

Surely you were armed...right? Just in case he wanted you to buy Christmas for him...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Hope stoned dude had a change of underwear in his car. Nothing says get off my lawn better than man's best friend charging at you. The dog did good, give him/her something really good for Christmas.

Good show. I would consider a fence, lol. However, you have almost convinced me of the need for a doggie friend of my own.

Give Rover a nice juicy steak for a job well done.
    Trying to leave as large a carbon footprint as possible.
    Shivering in the "heat"
    Innocent as doves, wise as serpents, armed like wolves.

Don't remember anything about previous incidents, but this one seems to have worked out just fine.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    I would not bother talking to your "neighbors."
    Obviously they are not the sort of people who are going to pay any attention anyway and that will just make it even more personal.
    I would just continue on (as you are already doing) to police and protect your own property.

You might also want to invest in a video camera and start discretely documenting various things just in case you may need to act defensively at some point in the future.

Next time you might want to yell "OK!" to your dog a tad bit sooner though.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbary View Post
    Hope stoned dude had a change of underwear in his car. Nothing says get off my lawn better than man's best friend charging at you. The dog did good, give him/her something really good for Christmas.
    I know with a Pitt coming at me in the dark I'd have needed a change of undies as well!
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I would not bother talking to your "neighbors."
    Obviously they are not the sort of people who are going to pay any attention anyway and that will just make it even more personal.
    I would just continue on (as you are already doing) to police and protect your own property.

You might also want to invest in a video camera and start discretely documenting various things just in case you may need to act defensively at some point in the future.

Next time you might want to yell "OK!" to your dog a tad bit sooner though.
    Yeah, what QKShooter said. Video is your friend. Your neighbors are deaf.

Glad it ended well, and very glad your pup did not get a sample of dinner. As bad as it sounds, better that you shoot in SD than your pup bites in iffy trespass.

Hate for one of your family to be put down and you loose everything you have for someone elses stupidity. Especially some lowlife who truly had it coming, but the courts will not see it that way. The courts will see you with a breed of dog with a bad rep because of irresponsible owners, off leash. Civil lawyers will have a field day with you.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Administrator
    Get some floodlights on a motion sensor. Dirtbags hate those.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Get some floodlights on a motion sensor. Dirtbags hate those.
    Mount them over your sandbaged fox holes, that will rally twist their undies up!

As others have said, you can't talk to them anymore. They are either not listening or don't care, either way you would just be wasting your time. Maybe send a certified letter as a last ditch effort and then let the cameras roll.

Good luck with the current and hopefully new neighbors.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Just curious---what would VA law have to say about you using force to protect your dog, if Stoned Dirtbag had made an attempt to fight/hurt the dog?
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    Just curious---what would VA law have to say about you using force to protect your dog, if Stoned Dirtbag had made an attempt to fight/hurt the dog?
    I don't know about that, but my view is that if someone has the brass to take on a charging pit and keep on coming, I should probably be in fear for my life at that point and do what is necessary...

At this point I'm just glad I have a good dog. It's funny, she automagically knows when something just isn't quite right. She really is normally overly friendly towards everyone which is why when she growls at someone, I listen.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Administrator
    I think you just need to "passively annoy" them. Hopefully they will get the hint and move.
    "Just blame Sixto"

SIXTO has it right, and try to document such visits (photos are nice) then send this to your local PD. Stay safe.
    PS - I hope you gave the puppy a treat.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links