Shoot burglar, get a new home?

This is a discussion on Shoot burglar, get a new home? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Read the post of a man who chased burglars from his home. I thought, what if I caught someone in my home and had to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shoot burglar, get a new home?

Read the post of a man who chased burglars from his home. I thought, what if I caught someone in my home and had to defend myself? In the course of the defense as I stopped the intruders they pass away. Now I know that in any defensive shooting situation there could be tremendous legal expenses depending on how the local politician feels about self defense. What came to mind was this:

If I kill someone in my house am I going to have to buy another one becuase my wife will be too creeped-out/scared to ever sleep in a house where someone was killed?

That is a whole new level of expense. Of course, she might not want to stay in one that was burglarized either, so either way I may be in new digs soon after. This doesn't even take into account the possible revenge visits by relatives or associates.

Anybody else ever think of this?
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Thought about it, probably pretty normal. However that is something I will deal with if it ever happens. Hopefully few of us will ever have to deal with this!

Let's view it from a man married for 37 years...I confront a threat in our home...I eliminate the treat, permanently. Now my wife wants to live somewhere else?That be like killing two birds with one stone...
    (Oh oh, wife looking over shoulder...)
    "Just kidding dear, I'm sorry for joking dear..."

OK, back to reality...for my wife and I, we have tile floors...easy clean up...and no, we're not moving anywhere else. (Oh, there I go again, showing my sensitive side.)

Stay armed...stuff happens...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    Yeah, I've thought about it, and probably would move. I've been involved in a use of force or two that have turned fatal as an LEO and to be honest, it does creep me out a little each time I have to go back to the scene.
    I work with a guy that was involved in a particular nasty shoot out, and he refuses to go to that street unless he absolutely has too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I really don't think a lot of people that stay armed give this aspect of the responsibility much thought. I think it will be fine with my wife as she understands the difference. But I hate the hassle of knowing that this could become a real problem when it happens.
    It is not "might OF", it is "might HAVE". It is not "could OF", it is "could HAVE". Go spread the word.

Quote Originally Posted by Solidgun View Post
    I really don't think a lot of people that stay armed give this aspect of the responsibility much thought.
    Not enough, and not enough, I expect.

If a person shoots and kills a man, the shooter's whole world changes.

Quote Originally Posted by bigiceman View Post
    If I kill someone in my house am I going to have to buy another one becuase my wife will be too creeped-out/scared to ever sleep in a house where someone was killed?
    I'd worry more about his friends coming for revenge.

Thumbs up Wife

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Let's view it from a man married for 37 years...I confront a threat in our home...I eliminate the treat, permanently. Now my wife wants to live somewhere else?That be like killing two birds with one stone...

I be a cleaning up my 'puter screen now

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by bigiceman View Post
    That is a whole new level of expense. Of course, she might not want to stay in one that was burglarized either, so either way I may be in new digs soon after. This doesn't even take into account the possible revenge visits by relatives or associates.

It seems to me like it'd be a LOT less expensive to do a serious upgrade of your locks, lighting, fencing and canine companion. You'd be surprised how burglars are discouraged by the presence of a big rottwieler, doberman, ridgeback, or pit.

Does an owner have to disclose such information before selling a home?
    HK45c V1

Think it would be too much to put a sign outside that said "-1", as a warning. I know... that's kind of blatant. But, word gets around on the street faster than the local news.... and it would be out NOT to go to that house ....

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by bonehead View Post
    Does an owner have to disclose such information before selling a home?
    No, but if asked, you have to tell the truth.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

OK, back to reality...for my wife and I, we have tile floors...easy clean up...and no, we're not moving anywhere else. (Oh, there I go again, showing my sensitive side.)

Stay armed...stuff happens...stay safe!

Good one!

No way I'd move. Clean up the mess and life goes on!

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    No, but if asked, you have to tell the truth.
    Actually, depends on where the house is. Death in a home can be a material fact of the home condition. States and municipalities handle it in a variety of ways, very often including mandatory disclosure.

Buyers/prospective buyers are sometimes spooked by violent or gruesome deaths having occurred in a home.

Quote Originally Posted by alelks View Post
    No way I'd move. Clean up the mess and life goes on!
    If wifey or little Suzy or little Bobby has nightmares and cannot sleep for 3 months--you'll move.

It's amazing how much a world can be rocked when killing someone. I like Rusty's logic:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Bouquett View Post
    It seems to me like it'd be a LOT less expensive to do a serious upgrade of your locks, lighting, fencing and canine companion. You'd be surprised how burglars are discouraged by the presence of a big rottwieler...
    One of the last things you ever want to do is kill a person. Your entire life is up for change.

Quote Originally Posted by Mxyzptlk View Post

If wifey or little Suzy or little Bobby has nightmares and cannot sleep for 3 months--you'll move.
    No suzy or little Bobby to worry about. Wife is pretty much on the same sheet of music as I am so I'm good to go.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links