Gunpoint

Gunpoint

This is a discussion on Gunpoint within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Question: Just as "IF"- Suppose I'm at the store buying a coke and realized there was robbery at the scene. Am I allowing to use ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gunpoint

Gunpoint

Question: Just as "IF"- Suppose I'm at the store buying a coke and realized there was robbery at the scene. Am I allowing to use of force (my pistol) to stop the robbery ? and am I allowed to gunpoint to robbery person until police officer arrive ? or do I have to put up my weapon before officer arrive ? Thanks

Senior Moderator
    That is entirely dependent on Texas law.

IF you can use force in defense of a third person...
    IF you feel like your life is in danger...
    Lots of IF's here...

Do you have a concealed carry permit? It would seem like you need some coaching on the law. You need to know these things.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    That is entirely dependent on Texas law.

IF you can use force in defense of a third person...
    IF you feel like your life is in danger...
    Lots of IF's here...

Do you have a concealed carry permit? It would seem like you need some coaching on the law. You need to know these things.
    Hello, I'm new to here and I have alot of question(s) to ask. No I'm not CCW just yet. I just bought a firearm few days ago, and need to take CCW class after holiday. I'm not going to carry my weapon until I get license first. Thanks for reply.

Senior Moderator
    Fireair, Welcome to the forum.

This is the place to get answers.

I'm not up on Texas law, so I can't say one way or the other what will fly and what wont. Hopefully someone from Texas can give you more definate info.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Lead Moderator
    A good source for basic carry info is also Handgunlaw.us
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Bring all you can up to your instructors, right things like this down and ask, everyone in the class will want to know this stuff as well, It is their job to get you up to speed on the laws in your state.

Welcome to the forum!
    As has been said, you need to know your laws. They will spend a lot of time in class going over that stuff. If you go to the DPS website they have a section about CHL's and they even have a PDF you can download that covers relevant Texas law. You might want to go over it before your class.
    I could just answer your question but that would be too easy! What I will tell you is that you want to look in Texas Penal Code 9.42 and pay attention in class!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Using the afore mentioned link, I tried to find the "third party defense" rules as it applies to the State of Virginia. Unfortunately it was not listed. Tried a search with no results. Does anyone know about this for the State of Virginia?

Personally if I walk into a store that is being robbed I will either turn around and walk out if unnoticed or do what the perp says. Reasoning? Store has insurance, the losses should be covered. If the perp does move like he plans on executing an attack on my life or someone else's then I will do what I can to stop the situation.
    I just don't like the idea of playing hero unless needed.

Walking in on a robbery in progress is not a casual thing, and bringing your weapon into play does not mean that the BG is going to fold his cards and wait for police to arrive.
    The BG's adrenaline is going to be pumping 'full tilt', and perhaps when you draw a weapon the situation is going to go from bad to SHTF in an instant.
    Your best course of action is to be very aware when you enter the establishment in the first place.
    Upon entering, you should already be looking around and viewing the faces of other customers and the clerks...if something looks out of place, remove yourself from the place. If your already in too far, move to a distant aisle, if possible, and hide yourself, but remain alert and be ready to defend yourself if attacked.
    You're not the cop in this situation, but if shooting starts, you want to be able to avoid an ambulance ride or worse...

Stay armed...know what you're walking into if possible...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Post Here an example

Check this out on this website link:

YouTube - Good guy 1, Bad guy 0, CCW in action unedited

1. What will you do if you are a customer standing next to a lady that holding a baby and that any of hotel employee dont have weapon, but you do ?

2. This is a simple rule - you cannot shoot someone if someone try to run away. This good guy shot to suspect's back. Did he do the right thing ? or he have no choice ?

Most self defense laws (not just in the US) recognize your right to come to the defense of others. Self defense has to be reasonable (deadly force only to be used if there is a deadly threat) and only if there is a present danger (e.g. the bad guy is holding up a gun and aiming it at the clerk).

Typically, self defense no longer applies once the danger is over (bad guy on the run), or if there are other ways to defuse the situation (e.g. retreat). But this is where various state laws may give you more rights then this universal minimum self defense standard.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

VIP Member
    As others have suggested read, read and then read more on the laws in TX pertaining to use of deadly force. Make a list of questions to ask when you take your class. Always remember, those of us on this forum, as well as most other forums, are not lawyers. While we do have some lawyers here, unless they are licensed to practice in TX and are versed in TX gun laws, there opinion is just that, OPINION. Also, when you take your class, unless the portion of your class on TX law is taught by a lawyer, it holds no legal weight.
    If your having heart problems, your not going to go to your plumber for advice, your going to your doctor. Same with gun laws. Don't go to your neighborhood butcher, go to a lawyer.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mstrkage View Post
    Personally if I walk into a store that is being robbed I will either turn around and walk out if unnoticed or do what the perp says. Reasoning? Store has insurance, the losses should be covered. If the perp does move like he plans on executing an attack on my life or someone else's then I will do what I can to stop the situation.
    I just don't like the idea of playing hero unless needed.

How can you know what a criminal's intentions are? By the time you comply, he could have a gun pointed at you, then good luck mustering a response. You are now at the criminal's mercy.

IMO, I would stay uninvolved, behind cover or leave the premises unless someone was going to be killed. I'd rather be behind cover and weapon at the ready than wait to see how things turn out.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson

CDH
    Quote Originally Posted by FireAir7215 View Post
    Check this out on this website link:

YouTube - Good guy 1, Bad guy 0, CCW in action unedited

1. What will you do if you are a customer standing next to a lady that holding a baby and that any of hotel employee dont have weapon, but you do ?

2. This is a simple rule - you cannot shoot someone if someone try to run away. This good guy shot to suspect's back. Did he do the right thing ? or he have no choice ?
    He absolutely did the right thing.
    The suspect could easily have swung his gun hand around him and fired off some shots with the girl and baby right there, and the good guy wouldn't even have been able to see it until it was too late.

In that video, it appears that the bad guy went down right outside the door judging by the way the good guy keeps looking out and down, perhaps to make sure that the perp isn't about to get up and return fire.

In that exact same situation, I would have done the exact same thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links