Flashlight and Firearm: Blinding and Shooting

This is a discussion on Flashlight and Firearm: Blinding and Shooting within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A alley with cars on both sides leaves about 12 feet so if he's walking out while you walking in & shine 105 lumes in ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Flashlight and Firearm: Blinding and Shooting

A alley with cars on both sides leaves about 12 feet so if he's walking out while you walking in & shine 105 lumes in his eyes you ARE the agresser.
    You should try to move one side & he follows then game on shine!PS it is public property

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post
    You just can't go around shining flashlights in somebodys face/ If it happen to be a off duty LEO you may be going for a ride /Be carefull & safe H/D
    LOL I actually did this once. Many years I was out checking my traps and when I walked back to the road someone shined a huge flashlight at me. I was blinded and returned the favor with my light. I had no idea who it was untill he lowered his light and I could see his badge.
    There I was carying a basket full of muskrats and he asks what i'm doing. There were no charges, why would there be?

Michael

You would have to articulate that you were in danger. Assault with a light would be a stretch. If you would hesitate to use a light you would hesitate to use any other tools. You base your actions on the totality of the circumstances, if you wait around for things to be black and white and crystal clear it will be over before you react.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Have to agree with mercop on this one. What reasonable person will still be walking towards you in the dark after you: A) slap them in the retinas with a hand-held 65+ lumen light cannon, B) tell them in a stern voice to stay away, and C) keep the light on them as they move to make sure that you can see what they're up to? Sorry, but I'm getting the idea that anyone not complying or continuing to advance on you despite these painfully obvious "Stay away!" signs has more in mind than asking if I have a cup of sugar they can borrow for cookies at the retirement home bake sale.

And then there is the old saying, "A gun in the hand is worth two in the holster". If you light them up, warn them off, and they demonstrate a complete disregard for your personal space and obvious discomfort at their advance then they're not there to offer you free tickets to the next big local sports event. If they don't see my gun pointed at them, that's their bad.

And we get to the single biggest issue that people have in a SD situation. The infamous "Niceguy Syndrome" where you're so worried about not getting into a situation and are doing everything beyond reason to try to get out a situation that you don't realize that you're already in a situation until it's too late for you to do anything but BOHICA. If you're instincts are telling you that something is wrong and the other person is ignoring your commands, then you have to be ready to do the deed. Full stop.

Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps View Post
    Have to agree with mercop on this one. What reasonable person will still be walking towards you in the dark after you: A) slap them in the retinas with a hand-held 65+ lumen light cannon, B) tell them in a stern voice to stay away, and C) keep the light on them as they move to make sure that you can see what they're up to? Sorry, but I'm getting the idea that anyone not complying or continuing to advance on you despite these painfully obvious "Stay away!" signs has more in mind than asking if I have a cup of sugar they can borrow for cookies at the retirement home bake sale.
    Change places and put yourself in the other persons place. Your walking along minding your own business. Your an intimidating person in your appearance. Someone hits you in the face with a blinding light and starts yelling at you.
    Would you take defensive action or do you comply with this agressor? Do you assume he/she means you no harm? Do you put your hand on your gun? In my opinion the one who took the first action was an agressor. I'm not saying they didn't guess wrong but if they did guess wrong there could be a bad ending for all.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Change places and put yourself in the other persons place. Your walking along minding your own business. Your an intimidating person in your appearance. Someone hits you in the face with a blinding light and starts yelling at you.
    Would you take defensive action or do you comply with this agressor? Do you assume he/she means you no harm? Do you put your hand on your gun? In my opinion the one who took the first action was an agressor. I'm not saying they didn't guess wrong but if they did guess wrong there could be a bad ending for all.

Michael
    You do make a good general point, but based on the original post (part below), the person was not necessarily a person who was simply minding his own business. I think those who are turning the tables are basing it on a completely different scenario, or at least a very different one.

"You are walking to your car in a dark parking lot and using your flashlight to guide the way. You notice a suspicious character in your path and hit him with all your tactical lumens.

He makes a threatening gesture or says something that alerts you enough to draw your firearm but because of the blinding effect of your light he has not seen the gesture. In his mind you are still just a defenseless victim."
    I carry a gun for the same reason I own a smoke detector...I never, ever, plan on needing them...but if I do need them, and have them in a box...I won't be able to get to them for use fast enough.

That is why you take into consideration the way you appear to others. For instance, you are in a parking garage and getting close to a female who obviously does not realize you are there so you clear your throat in order for her to hear you.

And if someone shines a light on me and says get back, guess what I am doing? Getting back. What aggressor would shine a light on you and tell you to get back?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links