My "plan" criticism encouraged

This is a discussion on My "plan" criticism encouraged within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The following is our home defense plan. I have used it several times while responding to the "honey I hear a noise" thing. Please give ...

The following is our home defense plan. I have used it several times while responding to the "honey I hear a noise" thing.

Please give me your thoughts and criticisms...

I am one of the "stupid" ones who sweeps the house looking for intruders when my wife wakes me up with a "noise" concern. The reason is simple... 3 kids on 2 floors of the house. My plan is this-
    1- open touchpad combo safe
    2- remove loaded 45, tactical light and cell phone
    3- hand .38 special to wife along with 2nd light (safe remains open so access to other guns and ammo is easy)
    4- I sweep upstairs, turning on lights as I go(checking door and window locks)
    5- once upstairs is clear my wife takes both others that sleep upstairs into bedroom with her and has phone in hand
    6- I then clear downstairs, proceeding same as upstairs
    ...at this point (Lord willing) there is no threat and I then call an all clear signal upstairs for my wife (repeating several times until I hear a reply from her).
    If........there is an intruder upstairs then I will address right away and there will be some spackling and carpet cleaning to do the next day at the least.
    If........there is an intruder downstairs I do same as above while paying VERY close attn to the bedrooms down and the direction of where I would shoot (upstairs the bed rooms are to my back when sweeping).
    If........I have to hole up- The safe rooms on each level are above each other so that I minimize the likelyhood of friendly fire.
    If.....I pray there are no "if's" EVER!

Also, there are contingency/b-up guns located strategicly (I know I spelled that wrong, hmm s.t.r.a...) in the house. I know that this is overkill but I also have my valuable document in a fire safe in the unlikely event of a fire. Stupid? I hope to prove it completely unnecesarry (u.n.n.e...)

The layout to my home is ...well, my buisiness. I practice this sweep at lease once a month in the light and once in the dark (when practicing the gun is holstered and the light is only used). I have "used" this plan a few times as my wifes "spidey" senses tingle all to often. It seems to me to be a logical plan...what do you think?
    Pray for our nations leaders!

I see three things that could happen with your setup.

First you sweep you home and find nobody > false alarm.
    Second you find that one of your kids is up getting a drink.
    Third you run into BGs with your sweep. > Bad

The reason for your sweep is to find out if you have BGs in your house…correct?

I would do what I’ve set up.
    If you have a TV in your bedroom then just get a small wireless infrared camera. Position one in each hall way or good vantage point.
    Then when you need to see if you have a problem, just turn on your TV to the input that has the camera(s) input you want to view.
    Then if you really do see BGs in your home you can arm up call 911 and size up your problem with out turning a corner and having a deadly close encounter.
    You may still need to venture out to protect one of your kids – at least you know where they are and how many are out there.

No TV in the bedroom and never will. I also feel that cameras are not neccesary. Yes, one of the kids could easily be up and that is why target defenition is crucial as well as why I turn on the lights.

I am one of the "stupid" ones who sweeps the house looking for intruders when my wife wakes me up with a "noise" concern. The reason is simple... 3 kids on 2 floors of the house. My plan is this-
    1- open touchpad combo safe
    2- remove loaded 45, tactical light and cell phone
    3- hand .38 special to wife along with 2nd light (safe remains open so access to other guns and ammo is easy)
    4- I sweep upstairs, turning on lights as I go(checking door and window locks)
    5- once upstairs is clear my wife takes both others that sleep upstairs into bedroom with her and has phone in hand
    6- I then clear downstairs, proceeding same as upstairs
    ...at this point (Lord willing) there is no threat and I then call an all clear signal upstairs for my wife (repeating several times until I hear a reply from her).
    If........there is an intruder upstairs then I will address right away and there will be some spackling and carpet cleaning to do the next day at the least.
    If........there is an intruder downstairs I do same as above while paying VERY close attn to the bedrooms down and the direction of where I would shoot (upstairs the bed rooms are to my back when sweeping).
    If........I have to hole up- The safe rooms on each level are above each other so that I minimize the likelyhood of friendly fire.
    If.....I pray there are no "if's" EVER!

1. you are in bed, the kids are asleep...where is your primary SD? Why in the safe?
    2. remove what, what, and what?
    3. safe remains open? Why? your first line of defense is your only defense IMO..there's no turning back (to go to the safe?)
    4. you already have your tactical light...why compromise your position or your weak hand flipping on lights?
    5. you are upstairs....the kids....? The wife..? How will you communicate?
    6. if your form of communication is verbal, you may still compromise your position and your wife's
    I've spent my whole adult life in ground floor homes.
    You've just been awakened from sleep....you'll need to discern an "intruder" from the child that couldn't sleep...this is where your tactical light will make the difference. Identify that target!
    Pay close attention to sounds and movements...your peripheral vision in the dark plays an important role.
    Friendly fire generally comes from a horizontal direction...not vertical, and knowing where each defender is at any given time is tactically sound...your wife stays put, and you search.
    I am one of the "stupid" ones who sweeps the house looking for intruders when my wife wakes me up with a "noise" concern. The reason is simple... 3 kids on 2 floors of the house.
    You're not stupid. (fact) You're just putting way too much thought into things than you should in my honest opinion. Granted...you've got a lot of bases to cover, but I figure you can reduce your six step plan by at least 50%, and if you become one with your abode (your house is not an enemy) and take advantage of the layout........have a weapon readily available (when you hit the floor), and I assume you are on the top floor (3rd)? And if your wife needs to wake you up from hearing a "noise", then you may be sleeping too sound. You should be the first IMO. I do know I've lapsed over the years, gotten older, and all that stuff. But I've gone back to keeping my primary under my pillow...no issues. I slept with a 1911 for several years with the safety on and my hand around the grip and finger in the trigger guard....that was the only way I would find sleep. As years progressed, I gained loved ones and 'others' in the house. I take all into account nowadays and I do weekly "sweeps" of the home turf inside and out. Daylight or dark. With or without illumination. You can train yourself in these ways, and you're not too far off the right track IMO, it's just I feel you can make things a heck of a lot simpler and still retain all the confidence you appear to have now. You asked. Make a "plan" with your family....not on your own FOR your family. With a family like yours, and a three dimensional field to defend, consider it as a platoon and you are the point man. It may very well be time to lay down the rules of engagement with all of your support team. Taking all the weight yourself will make you tired in short order. Gather the team.

No TV? But just think of turning it on and being able to go right back to sleep if all is clear. I understand no TV in your bedroom… you’ve seen the movie Poltergeist.

No TV in the bedroom and never will. I also feel that cameras are not necessary. Yes, one of the kids could easily be up and that is why target definition is crucial as well as why I turn on the lights

Agreed, knowing your target is key and a camera could help.

But, if you turn on lights you will alert any BGs to your location.
    Also, having to defend a lit area against a dark area with BGs knowing you are coming would not favor your odds.
    You are looking at a close range BG encounter possibly having more then on BG and you having to make sure it not a kid before you fire.
    Last edited by Logan5; December 26th, 2008 at 02:29 AM. Reason: fix a line

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post

1. you are in bed, the kids are asleep...where is your primary SD? Why in the safe?
    2. remove what, what, and what?
    3. safe remains open? Why? your first line of defense is your only defense IMO..there's no turning back (to go to the safe?)
    4. you already have your tactical light...why compromise your position or your weak hand flipping on lights?
    5. you are upstairs....the kids....? The wife..? How will you communicate?
    6. if your form of communication is verbal, you may still compromise your position and your wife's
    1. The loaded gun is in the safe due to having a 3 year old who has been known to wander the house and gets into anythig she can (our bedroom is off limits to the kids but... (she also calls my guns 'squirt guns'))
    2. "Remove" is not the right word, the light and phone are not IN the safe.
    3. I am most likely not turning back to the safe (unless a retreat is in order then our bedroom is a saferoom) the safe is left accesable to my wife (who stays in the room)
    4. I need to rethink the light thing
    5. The wife is laying next to me so communication with her is imediate. The kids are 3, 1.5 and 4 months old so communication with them is minimal at this point.
    6. I tried smoke signals as communication of "all clear" but by time it got upstairs to my wife it just looks like smoke... plus it took to long to build a fire I use verbal "all clear" signal so there is 0 confusion, I don't want to get shot by my wife!
    7. In response to my sleeping TO soundly. Yes, I sleep sound. I have however woke up with noises on the property and so far they have been neighbor kids smashing pumkins or the like (I investigate but only use my voice as a "weapon" I wrote what I did in reference to how I respond to the wifes "I heard a noise" wake up (for those of you who are married you know I MUST respond to this.

To clarify on the camera thought. I do have a baby monitor downstairs in the one occupied bedroom and when a noise is heard it is turned to a level that we can hear breathing (thus helping solidify it is NOT the 3 year old sleeping there). I won't get a TV in master bedroom because I know I will watch TV far more than I do now.

Thank you for the input guys...keep it coming. Also, I am curious if anybody who owns and is profficent with handguns would or does check the house with a shotgun instead?

Quote Originally Posted by nosights View Post
    <snip>

Thank you for the input guys...keep it coming. Also, I am curious if anybody who owns and is profficent with handguns would or does check the house with a shotgun instead?
    No. You're clearing your house looking for a bad guy (or guys) who may be in there. It's much easier to retain a handgun than a long gun in a situation like that. I'd save the shotgun for when I was dug into my safe room.

Brian

Senior Moderator
    I wouldn't turn on the lights.

I only clear my house when I or my wife hears a one time noise. I am pretty sure I would be able to know the difference between my son or the cats and someone else in my house.

I do use a pistol and light to do this, they are easier to retain and manuver thourgh the house with.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Should have a code word to let the wife know that somebody got the jump on you and has a gun pressed agaist the side of your head. "Honey shut off the TV in the room and go back to sleep I am going to grab a glass of pop and watch TV up here for awhile." She will be dailing 911 and reply" Good night don't be to long"

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I waffled back and forth about turning on the lights or not...I guess it comes down to 'do I want to catch the guy' or 'scare him out of the house'?? I suspect that turning on the lights and yelling a warning would scare most thieves to turn tail and run. If not, then I might turn the lights off and clear. Ahh...but but, you lose the element of surprise naysayers. I again suspect that the surprise is lost as soon as you exit the master bedroom. Most master bedrooms and upstairs have long hallways with little room to maneuver. A light of any kind will shine a long ways.

Many thieves are in their early teens...and work in pairs or more. Do you have a plan for multiple invaders?

I think the best thing one can do is have a plan with the better half (especially the communication part)...how many actually practiced their plan (even with the kids). You might find holes if you run through a couple of practice what ifs.

Code words...made for TV. With a gun pressed against your head, I seriously doubt you will be thinking about your code words.

Bottomline...I don't think one shoe fits all...but running a couple of scenarios (how about electricity out..i.e., no phone and video cameras), finding the weak spots, will really help all family members when all hell breaks loose.

Oh...and buy a dog...preferably one that likes to protect.

Rick

+1 on a dog that barks at intruders. If a barking dog released from a master bedroom doesn't scare off a thief, turning on a light and yelling won't either.

Only thought is that your yelled "All Clear" is completely fine because you would only yell that when you're sure that you're house is clear... so you wouldn't be giving your position away to anyone.
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

Flipping on lights, then walking into dark areas afterwards... effects your night vision. Be conscious of that. I don't turn on lights at all until I've checked things and pretty sure no one is there. You are giving the advantage of knowing where you are, and seeing you... when you may not see them. Using the tactical light.... you can flip off & be out of their sight if needed ... is better.

Don't shoot at any 'dark' figures.... it could be your kid..... be sure you identify anything before you shoot.... and don't shoot unless you are actually threatened with an attack (prevents shooting your kid when they walking up on you in the dark or sneaking in / out of the house ... even if you don't think your kid would do it ).

Get a dog.... who will tell you if the 'noises' are something to be aware of or not. They will know your kids walks, etc. and recognize them 80%-90% of the time.

Advise your kids what the heck you are doing, and if they see you late at night scoping out the house..... whether to yell out or in some way to let you know it's them, to stay in place no matter what.... or what to do. Will they think you are a burglar and run to you to tell you.... then get accidentally shot because you react without identifying, or you didn't yell out so your wife thinks it is a burglar instead of your kid when they run into your bedroom ??

If you are having "noises" that often.... it's probably your kids... tell your wife to get 'over it' and not be too paranoid.

Doing a clearing of your house once a month, seems rather excessive and on the paranoia side to me. You should know your house well enough that 'practice' that often is not necessary, unless you just like doing it.

Remember, if a BG was in your house, you have sight of where you just left or someone else does, and they cannot move from one spot to another (room) that you had already been in.... and then it's not clear at all, even tho you may think it is. Make sure your wife in not jittery and may 'react' rather than 'think', if you are going to put a gun in her hand.

Remember ... someone "jumps out" or suddenly makes a loud noise... when you are on high alert, does NOT mean shoot immediately. IT may be your kid.

Good luck...

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Get a dog....
    I have one and he is protective and ONLY barks when he senses or sees danger. That being said, I don't rely on him to tell me if something is wrong but I do trust his senses more than my wifes

As far as how often I have practiced, I should mention that I have not been in this house long and that my wife has only been comfortable with handguns for about 6 months now (shot one for the first time 3 months ago. Didn't even want to see one when we started dating 6 years ago.) I am not paranoid. Untill I am confident that my wife has the program down cold I will continue.

I don't think that I will do the "code word" thing due to my house being relatively small and my wife would definately hear anything that would happen.

In reply to the comment of "tell her to get over it", I ask "are you married?" this is something that she needs to get over but it will take time. It seems to be the "worst" for the first 6 months or so when we bring a child home (seen this 3 times now).

Understand what you are saying. And, it may sound like a smart ass answer, but it really isn't. It's amazing when you some times tell someone they are being overly concerned, that they realize that they are, and calm down more about it. Sometimes, not.

Sorry, but I sure wouldn't be clearing my house every month.... for practice, although I might run it thru my head, and I wouldn't put a gun in someone's hands who shot for the first time 3 months ago for the first time and is still nervous about it. My opinion. You do what you are comfortable with, you know her (I don't) and it's your tail on the line, not mine. You asked for opinions, that's mine.... nothing personal about it.

My ex-wife was Army trained, and is more comfortable with M16's and hand grenades than handguns, but she's a much better shot than I am with one... we called her "dead eye". Was with her for 30 yrs.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Understand what you are saying. And, it may sound like a smart ass answer, but it really isn't. It's amazing when you some times tell someone they are being overly concerned, that they realize that they are, and calm down more about it. Sometimes, not.

Sorry, but I sure wouldn't be clearing my house every month.... for practice, although I might run it thru my head, and I wouldn't put a gun in someone's hands who shot for the first time 3 months ago for the first time and is still nervous about it. My opinion. You do what you are comfortable with, you know her (I don't) and it's your tail on the line, not mine. You asked for opinions, that's mine.... nothing personal about it.

My ex-wife was Army trained, and is more comfortable with M16's and hand grenades than handguns, but she's a much better shot than I am with one... we called her "dead eye". Was with her for 30 yrs.
    I appreciate the insight. My wife is learning a great deal, but is not new to guns...just handguns. She is actually a great shot and in the last few months has really taken a shining to the sport of shooting handguns.

Also, after reading back what I originally wrote I see how it is easy to think that I am running the full drill monthly ( I have run it through verbally with my wife a number of times and will continue with the practice from time to time). I do but...more often than not it is when it is late and I need to go to the laundry room (basement) and get something, I grab a light and sweep the way till I get to the laundry or let the dog out in the backyard or whatever...

I come from 10 years of practicing paintball 2-3 times a week and playing another 2-3 times (about 40 hours a week for 5 of the 10 years). Although I am not new to shooting guns vs paintball markers it is only in the last year that paintball has been 90% replaced with shooting at the range and the like. It is my hobby in the winter time now (rock crawling/offroading in the summer) and I try to get about 2-4 hours a week in "practicing" this passion. I am not a newcomer but I am a perfectionist and practice is not only enjoyable to me but helps protect me for what I pray I must never do. How does that go? "Practice makes...?" Well right now I am far from perfect and strive to be the best I can be.

Links