Had to draw for the first time....

This is a discussion on Had to draw for the first time.... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Don't know how your equipped for guns, but would use the shotgun to clear the house. 00 buckshot in a confined space such as a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Had to draw for the first time....

VIP Member
    Don't know how your equipped for guns, but would use the shotgun to clear the house. 00 buckshot in a confined space such as a hallway is going to be a much easier way to ruin someones day. Carry the .40 as a backup for the shotgun, just in case you need it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by nosights View Post
    I would most definately be on the offensive! For one it is my nature and secondly I am WAY more comfortable being on the offensive. Also, I have kids throughout the house and staying put is not an option for me!

After years of Semi-Pro paintball playing I have learned that if you want to make your nerves jumpy...stay put, if you are on the offensive...you have the advantage. Remember that the BG does not know your house like you do.

I would also have moved quicker through the house and not worried so much about staying low and hidden. Don't get me wrong, cover is good, but swiftness is better. Who says the BG is not hiding waiting for you to slink in?

I would also yell out a command to stay out if the BG is trying to get in and has yet to enter. This should scare off anyone that is not meaning to do you serious harm...at that point, if someone enters it is go time.
    Well I think we're going to have to philosophically disagree then - we're 180 degrees apart. I get moving to rescue your kids but I don't get compromising your position if you don't have to. This isn't a paintball game where the first strike wins, in these scenarios if you are unable to completely disable your opponent before they can respond then you very well may end up disabled as well. Any strike can be deadly, and you will be struck if they hear or see you coming.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

nosights

Unfortunately you don't get a "restart" when the real stuff hits you...unlike those pesky little paintballs that sting, but then you get to start all over again

Just my thoughts
    "In God we trust, as for the rest of you... keep your hands where I can see them" - Unknown

Our dog is the key for us. If he starts howling in the middle of the night, it gives me the few seconds needed to get my gun safe open and ready for busines.

Since I have kids, I will go clear thier rooms, then place them all in the master B/R with the wife.

If dog is still all howling like, I may go clear the rest of the house, wife with shotty me with my G22.

LEO response time in our area is like 45 min, thats with a satelite LEO building less the 2 miles down the road.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dal1Celt View Post
    Our dog is the key for us. If he starts howling in the middle of the night, it gives me the few seconds needed to get my gun safe open and ready for busines.

Since I have kids, I will go clear thier rooms, then place them all in the master B/R with the wife.

If dog is still all howling like, I may go clear the rest of the house, wife with shotty me with my G22.

LEO response time in our area is like 45 min, thats with a satelite LEO building less the 2 miles down the road.
    Why is gun locked in a safe? That's about the equivelent to not carrying one in the chamber IMO.
    "An armed society is a polite society"

Quote Originally Posted by Dal1Celt View Post

Quote Originally Posted by PocketRocket View Post
    Why is gun locked in a safe? That's about the equivelent to not carrying one in the chamber IMO.

The answer is before you.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

While I have to agree that staying put and calling LEO is the best course of action if you KNOW someone is actually in your house, some of us would find ourselves becoming an annoyance to the local PD if we called them every time we heard a strange noise. My wife has woken me up on several occasions telling me she has heard very specific sounds inside our house. (A crash in the basement, glass breaking, an interior door being pulled closed, someone rifling through papers, etc.) I’ve come to the conclusion that she dreams these sounds, wakes up and thinks it was real. If I don’t verify that the house is secure, I can’t get back to sleep.

I’ve had to clear my house about a dozen times in the last year. I would hate to be the guy that calls in that many false alarms. We now have an alarm system that we have confidence in and sleep much better. If the alarm goes off in the middle of the night, I may call, hide and wait.

If you choose to dial 911 and wait in a locked room, that’s great. It’s the safest thing you can do. But bear in mind that when the police do arrive, you’ll have to make your way through the house to let them in or give them the OK to kick in the door.

Quote Originally Posted by Stirling XD View Post
    If you choose to dial 911 and wait in a locked room, thatís great. Itís the safest thing you can do. But bear in mind that when the police do arrive, youíll have to make your way through the house to let them in or give them the OK to kick in the door.
    Heres an idea for you. Buy one of those marine key fobs and attach a set of your house keys to them (or a stick of wood or something that will be noticable). This way when the police arrive you will be able to toss the keys to they out your secure room window.

Of course you need to stay on the phone with them the entire time anyway so you will be able to guide them to where you are in the house anyway to toss them the keys.
    Pray for our nations leaders!

I will have to agree that staying put is the best way to go, if you know that someone is in the house. If I wake up to a bump in the night, or the dogs in the yard barking, I will get up and go check it out. The only noise I don't want to hear would be that of one of the alarms on my doors or windows, that means someone is trying to get in. Both of the outer doors have two alarms. One will go off if the door is opened, the other will go off if the door takes a hit, like someone trying to kick it in, or break out the glass. The other sound I really don't want to hear is the one from the motion detector, that means that someone is already in! These alarms are cheap, much less than the cost of a gun, and while they are not wired to anyone, I'm the one needs to know!
    Y'all be safe now, ya hear!

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Well I can tell you to stay in your room but then that would be hypocritical. I'm very adventurous to and like to go "check things out" when I hear a noise. All I can say is take a class on clearing houses. This is the only thing i can suggest.

My SOP is if I hear a single "unusual" noise in or around the house, (wakes me up, the wife wakes me, sitting doing what I am doing now...) I listen for a few more seconds to see if there are additional noises. If I hear nothing, I go check it out. If I hear more noises (has not happened yet) then the wife goes to the MB calls 911 and arms herself with her Baby Eagle (nice choice in weapons BTW to the OP), while I (sorry guys) will take my BE and go investigate. Our alarm system in training (see avatar) still needs some tuning and is not quite reliable yet.

I know my house. It is set up like a maze, and we have telltale (very squeaky) floors. Our MB is in the basement, the farthest point from any entrance, and is the fall back room. I can take up position at any number of places with concealment to wait for a potential BG to come into my fire zone. I can hear and know where in the house anything over 15# is (the cats & ferrets are the only ones that can move through the house silently, if they are just walking).

If there are multiple intruders, and they are intent on causing me harm, I can fire and displace to the next fallback position quickly. Once I reach the bedroom, all bets are off. Hopefully if there are more than one BG in the house, the first shots will send them running.

My wife and I are not high profile people, there is nothing in the house that warrants "get it at all costs" attitude by any BGs, and we do not engage in any activities that would warrant a "get them at all costs" attitude by the BGs.

It is safe to say that anyone (or any "crew") breaking into my house is either very desperate, or very new on the job.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Wow!, 10 minutes for the cops to show!?

In our town we are lucky if they show at all (from experience).

Normally of someone gets inside you will hear them bumping into crap, or see a flashlight. If my kid is not in the house. My approach would be to wait for them to get to the bedroom.

Quote Originally Posted by bep.40 View Post

Here is a little more info before giving opinions:
    > ...
    > We have had to call the police before and it took about ten minutes before they responded
    That was when someone tried to carjack our friend that was pulling into our garage.
    (luckily an unsuccessful attempt)

How was the attempt rendered "unsuccessful"? Did you confront the carjackers with a weapon?

I agree that staying put and calling the police is the best advice, but...... I live in a 4 bedroom, 2 story, 2,900 sf house. Our bedroom is on the bottom floor and my 4-year-old daughter's is on the far end of the hall on the 2nd floor.. my step-daughter's is on the other end.

If I KNOW someone is in my home, I'm going out and my wife is locking the bedroom door and calling the police and she will stay in there no matter what she hears happening.... her actually staying put is iffy, but in our planning it sounds good. I WILL make my way to my daughter and if I have to crawl to her with a couple holes in me, so be it.

Right or wrong, that's how it WILL be, not how I imagine it being. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but if my daughter hears a noise, she's on her way to our room anyway and I could not let her be the first to encounter someone in our home.

We live in a nicer area of Corpus Christi, Texas (if there is a nice part!) but there's been many home invasions and robberies lately, some including rape and an attempted murder. If something should happen to my daughter, or my 17-year-old step-daughter when she's here instead of her Dad's (I'm 29 in a couple weeks and my wife is 38, in case anyone was wondering since I think my age is in my profile) because I chose to follow the right thing to do in the typical situation, I could not......no, I would not.....live with myself.

I pray every single night that I am never again in a situation this serious, but I also pray that if I am, I will not think of myself and only think of the safety of my family and act wit extreme force to end it. I also pray that the little SD training I have will take over. I pray the same for all of you and your families.

Take care,
    Jonathan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links