Had to draw for the first time....

This is a discussion on Had to draw for the first time.... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So due to our current financial situation my wife and I had to move to an apartment in a "not so nice part of town." ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Had to draw for the first time....

So due to our current financial situation my wife and I had to move to an apartment in a "not so nice part of town."

We have observed numerous drug deals in an alley way near our apartment and constantly see cars with broken windows and had our car broken into in the past as well.
    The best part is that there is a police station one block away.

So anyways, last night were asleep when my wife woke me cause she heard a noise that sounded like someone trying to pry our door open.
    I instantly grab my .40 caliber baby eagle with night sights, and flash light and leave my wife with the 12 gauge in case something happened.
    Our room is all the way in the back of our apartment with a long hallway that leads to the rest of the apartment.
    I slowly creep along the walls changing from wall to wall and staying low so not to give my cover as I approached the kitchen counters.

Luckily due to the size of the small apartment and setup, I had a full view of the living room and kitchen from the hallway and due to the setup no one from the rest of the apartment could see into the hallway.
    After making sure there were no perpetrators in sight I continued to make sure all the doors/windows were locked and nothing was opened.

What do you guys think I should have done?
    Here is a little more info before giving opinions:
    > We have no children and no one else in the house.
    > We have had to call the police before and it took about ten minutes before they responded
    That was when someone tried to carjack our friend that was pulling into our garage.
    (luckily an unsuccessful attempt) I think that because of the holidays they thought nobody was home and it might be an easy target.
    I looked outside after making sure everything was ok and there were people walking around on the street but hard to tell if they did or did not attempt to force entry.

After we moved i did clear the house numerous times and in numerous situations to see if it was an option need be but i thought it would be a lot more nerve wrecking, I was surprised at how calm and focused I was.

Has anyone else who heard a noise in the middle of the night responded the same way or should i have done it differently?

I would have stayed in the bedroom with the mrs., listened for a while, called the police if I heard anything (In the event you had had to confront someone it's always nice to have a recorded tape of your encounter for later). If there are no kids outside of your bedroom to defend I never would have left.

Glad it worked out for you.
    "In God we trust, as for the rest of you... keep your hands where I can see them" - Unknown

It's within our nature to want to investigate sounds in our own house but the suprise is in your favor if you stay put and wait for any potential threat to come to you. You'll be ready and waiting instead of getting startled by a BG in your living room.

All this goes out the window if you have kids in the other side of the house.
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by NKMG19 View Post
    It's within our nature to want to investigate sounds in our own house but the suprise is in your favor if you stay put and wait for any potential threat to come to you. You'll be ready and waiting instead of getting startled by a BG in your living room.

All this goes out the window if you have kids in the other side of the house.
    Agreed. Unless I need to move to protect my family then I'm not moving. All bets are off if I need to get to my kids, wife, etc.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

TOF
    These posts always make me wonder how many false alarm calls to 911 it takes to become black listed.

I understand the advice to hide in a hole somewhere and wait for the Cavalry to come rescue you but have never done so. My approach is to quietly maneuver through the house in the dark and verify that things are ok. That way I can go back to sleep rather than wonder if I should call in the Cavalry or not.

At 68 years old I can't count high enough to list the number of false alarms I would have generated had I followed the typical advice.

Stay safe but don't always count on the Police to save your backside.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by TOF View Post
    These posts always make me wonder how many false alarm calls to 911 it takes to become black listed.

I understand the advice to hide in a hole somewhere and wait for the Cavalry to come rescue you but have never done so. My approach is to quietly maneuver through the house in the dark and verify that things are ok. That way I can go back to sleep rather than wonder if I should call in the Cavalry or not.

At 68 years old I can't count high enough to list the number of false alarms I would have generated had I followed the typical advice.

Stay safe but don't always count on the Police to save your backside.

If you know someone is in your house you would go out to confront them?

I understand clearing your house on your own when you hear a bump in the night and subsequently nothing. But if you know someone is out there... that's what we're advising against.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Agreed NKG.

Also if ever you have an instance such as this _do not_ assume that there is just one potential BG. Assume that for every one you think you hear or might have seen in shadow, that there is atleast one other to match. Hear two voices then your count jumps to four. See three shadow people, then your count jumps to six. And by that plan and act/react accordingly.

You did fine.
    But it might pay dividends to as noted by NKG and Matiki too to stay put, look, listen, and arm you and your wife up...and dial 911 via your house or cellphone, whihc should be kept nightly on your nightstand, right beside or near your security arm(s).

Clearly the latter toward wait, watch, and listen does not apply in regard to homes that have children or some other human dependant(s). No, pets are not included in this equation. They can fend for themselves.

Survive, by any means available and necessary.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

The only way I would even try to "clear" my own house is if my wife or other loved one were being held by a BG otherwise, "clearing your house" by yourself is dangerous.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

any suggestions for those people who know that the Calvalry...ain't comin'.

for at least 45 min. or more

I thoroughly disapprove of duels.
    If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand
    and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
    -Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by rmxer85 View Post
    any suggestions for those people who know that the Calvalry...ain't comin'.

for at least 45 min. or more

Open 'err up - after you're sure you've got no choice. i.e. they're burning the house down with you in it. You're still better off letting them come to you absent an immediate threat to your safety.

I'm clearing my house in a heartbeat. If someone comes in my dog will let me know. Yea he's a little rat dog (miniaure Fox Terrier) but he sounds off at the slightest noise. He'll can keep them busy/distracted while I'm coming down the hall.

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    In addition to the comments about staying put to protect and to avoid becoming a target, you've got the additional worry that wifey will shoot you with the shotgun when you come back to the bedroom. Come up with a secret code word you can exchange between you that means, "It's me, don't shoot!".
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Only two thoughts from me, everyone else's posts covered most areas already.
    1. Don't creep too close along walls, you can pick up a ricochet round traveling down the wall. Keep off about a foot or more.
    2. Stay inside, the apartment was secure and you just unlocked it. Might have been baited out into a ambush.

Welcome to the forum!!
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    If you know someone is in your house you would go out to confront them?

I understand clearing your house on your own when you hear a bump in the night and subsequently nothing. But if you know someone is out there... that's what we're advising against.

I would most definately be on the offensive! For one it is my nature and secondly I am WAY more comfortable being on the offensive. Also, I have kids throughout the house and staying put is not an option for me!

After years of Semi-Pro paintball playing I have learned that if you want to make your nerves jumpy...stay put, if you are on the offensive...you have the advantage. Remember that the BG does not know your house like you do.

I would also have moved quicker through the house and not worried so much about staying low and hidden. Don't get me wrong, cover is good, but swiftness is better. Who says the BG is not hiding waiting for you to slink in?

I would also yell out a command to stay out if the BG is trying to get in and has yet to enter. This should scare off anyone that is not meaning to do you serious harm...at that point, if someone enters it is go time.
    Pray for our nations leaders!

Only thing I would have done different was to give the wife the .40 and I would have taken the shotty. Primary home defense weapon should always be a shotgun IMO.
    You'll rock, with a 357 Glock

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links