Ignored your command

This is a discussion on Ignored your command within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had some thoughts. Suppose at anyplace any where where you are legal to carry. After you demand a suspect to drop their weapon and ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ignored your command

Ignored your command

I had some thoughts.

Suppose at anyplace any where where you are legal to carry.

After you demand a suspect to drop their weapon and get on the ground. Suspect did drop their weapon, then lay down on the ground while you gunpointed a suspect, and you called 911 and waiting for LEO to arrived. Suspect decided to get up and walk toward you while you gunpoint to a suspect unarmed. You had told him to stop walk toward you several times. Injored your command. you dont have H2H or pepper stray with you. WWUD ?

1. shoot unarmed suspect in leg (what if he have his other gun in his back)
    2. walk away from him trying not to shoot.
    3. Put your gun back in ur holster and fight him back.
    4. ???

2. Remove Ads

I vote for choice number 2. At this point he is not an imminent threat to my life, unless he is considerably larger/stronger than me and I have no place to run; or he produces another weapon.

For sure, I would stay locked and loaded and try to keep as much distance from him as possible. Now, that would be a good scenario to also carry and use mace/pepper spray.

Good post.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

He's presenting a threat, you don't know what he has hidden....sounds like he wants to become a lead mine
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

IMO any assailant, no matter what their size is a life risk if you are carrying. Once you are in close hand to hand the risk of him getting to your weapon is too great to allow it to happen. Even if they are unarmed, once you have made the attempt to leave and the assailant still closes the distance then you have met the requirement to disengage.
    You'll rock, with a 357 Glock

I never would have ordered him to the ground, I would have dropped him there if he were an armed threat. It's not my job to make arrests as a civilian.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    I never would have ordered him to the ground, I would have dropped him there if he were an armed threat. It's not my job to make arrests as a civilian.

"Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

If he's dumb enough to get up "unarmed" and walk towards me holding a gun on him I'm going to assume he's not really unarmed, or is at least still a threat.

He's going to be breathing through some new holes when I'm done with him.
    "In God we trust, as for the rest of you... keep your hands where I can see them" - Unknown

I could not of said it better. I am not a police officer so I will not "hold" anyone. What I will do is wait for the police and the bodybag he will so surely need. When I pull out my weapon it is because I am in danger of great bodily harm so I will use it.
    "The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural. "
    Best words of wisdom from my Master Emperor Palpatine

Absolutely +1

This is exactly what our instructor said and he's retired DPS.. I am not a police officer. If someone has a firearm (or not) and is committing a crime towards me, the last thing I'd do is try to control him. I would fire my weapon COM. If he's still alive when the police arrive, THEY can arrest him.

Jonathan

Anyone who has full knowledge they are facing a firearm and advances upon the holder is an imminent threat of grievious bodiy harm or death to the holder, anyone.

If they want to get up and run away, fine. I will put myself behind hard cover in case they are just using that as a ruse to get out a hidden weapon and then turn on me. If anyone advances upon me when I have the drop on them they have made the mistake of thinking I will not shoot them and they can disarm me and use my weapon against me as they see fit. They will be stopped almost immediately upon leaving the submissive position.

Keeping the suspect for the police to arrive in the circumstances described by the original post is not an arrest. It is just doing your duty to your community to hold a person for the police. If they want to run, I am too out of shape to give chase. I am also too out of shape to wrestle, that is why I have the loaded gun in my hand.

I take option 4; Two bullets COM, evaluate effectiveness, repeat as nessasary.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    Absolutely +1

This is exactly what our instructor said and he's retired DPS.. I am not a police officer. If someone has a firearm (or not) and is committing a crime towards me, the last thing I'd do is try to control him. I would fire my weapon COM. If he's still alive when the police arrive, THEY can arrest him.

Jonathan
    What is COM ?

Center Mass, Center of Mass.... I hate abbreviations, but I conform!

Jonathan

I would absolutly try and hold a seemingly unarmed person until LEOs arrive. It is not my job to be an execusioner unless they show that they intend the same to me. Advancing toward me (armed or not) shows that their intention is to harm me...I will do what I must. No limb shots...not EVER. I am not in the movies, last time I check I lived in real life!

I have wondered many times about the situation of an ARMED person pointing a gun at some stranger and what I would do (assuming I have been able to distinguish that the one holding the gun is the bad guy). At this point I believe I would pull the trigger and live by the creed "better to be judged by 12, than carried by 6".
    Pray for our nations leaders!

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike32 View Post
    IMO any assailant, no matter what their size is a life risk if you are carrying. Once you are in close hand to hand the risk of him getting to your weapon is too great to allow it to happen. Even if they are unarmed, once you have made the attempt to leave and the assailant still closes the distance then you have met the requirement to disengage.
    Very true

Very well said; my thoughts exactly !!!
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

VIP Member
    Not enough info.... How did you make the determination that he is a BG?
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links