NC Hurricane prepare commercial

This is a discussion on NC Hurricane prepare commercial within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi All About 2 weeks ago saw a commercial on tv about hurricane prep commerical from state gov. hadnt seen since but interesting fact they ...

Thread: NC Hurricane prepare commercial

NC Hurricane prepare commercial

Hi All
    About 2 weeks ago saw a commercial on tv about hurricane prep commerical from state gov. hadnt seen since but interesting fact they admitted must be prepared in a Katrina type situation that you must be prepared that to expect to be on your own for first 72 hrs with no help from local law inforcement or aid.which got me thinking in a defensive type scenario , but commercial removed from airwaves havent seen since. Probably antigun nuts spooked and removed but anyone else from NC seen it?
    "If you want peace, prepare for war." Si vis pacem, para bellum.
    NRA Member - GRNC Member
    Old Paratroopers never die , we just regroup!!
    82nd ABN DIV.. GOD Bless our Troops!!
    Foward Observer 3/505thPIR - A/319thAFAR
    87-91 "Just Cause - Desert Sheild/Storm"

2. Remove Ads

North Carolina has used that line (on your own for at least 72 hours) since the early 1990's because they would close the bridges and cut pwoer and gas to many of the barrier islands. They also go around during the evacuation and if someone refuses to leave, asks them for the name and number of their next of kin...

Quote Originally Posted by tflhndn View Post
    North Carolina has used that line (on your own for at least 72 hours) since the early 1990's because they would close the bridges and cut pwoer and gas to many of the barrier islands. They also go around during the evacuation and if someone refuses to leave, asks them for the name and number of their next of kin...

Yep, and to put your Social Security # on your forearm in some cases.

But no I didnt see the commercial
    <><><><><>
    Grass Roots North Carolina
    <><><><><>
    NRA Life Member

Yeah, they do love to scare people. We live on the Outer Banks and just stay prepared and ride it out. The alternative is to be stuck in a traffic jam somewhere on a rural road surrounded by trees that will fall and only inches above the water in normal times.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

You will probably see more of those type of commercials as "hurricane season" get's closer. The Red Cross, most state Emergency Management Agencies, and FEMA have disaster preparedness information on their websites. Most areas now have Community Emergency Response Teams (CERT). If someone doesn't have any basic emergency response training, the CERT team's are a good place to start.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

They run something similar here in Texas each year just before and during the season.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I am one of those "government employees" that preach this very thing since I work in emergency preparedness. Although I am not in your area, I can guarantee you that it was not pulled due to any "anti gun" group of concerns. There is a very limited amount of time that is available as Public Service Announcements, and the time that is available has to be shared with many other initiatives such as anti-smoking, fasten your seat belts, or some other agenda. Today’s budgets just don't have the funds available to buy time to get the message across.

The "be self sufficient for 72 hours" is VERY true. This message was out there before Katrina but that hurricane drove the point home. I have worked in state's Emergency Operations Centers during storms, and it is very difficult to get good picture of everything that happened in the immediate hours after a storm, especially if we lose communication infrastructure and power. In such widespread damage it takes a lot of time to just figure out where the resources need to be sent. If you’re alive, and breathing after the storm, and you’re in no immediate danger of not being alive a few hours from now, you’re the lowest on the priority list. They may not even be able to physically reach those that are dying.

Even though "government" may be big, the actual people that will be available to reach out to the victims to render assistance will be very limited - remember they live in the area to, and may be victims themselves. My current job includes reaching out to racial/and ethnic groups many being new immigrants into the area, to teach them the need to be prepared, to have supplies on hand to be self sufficient for at least 72 hours. This includes food, water, a way to keep warm, batter operated radio etc, family communications plans, spare meds, spare glasses (especially if you wear contacts) etc.

Even though I am one that can say "I am from the government, and I am here to help" DON'T trust us to be their immediately after the storm - we just don't have the manpower, or ability to immediately know where we need to go, and what assets we have (that were not taken ruined) by the event.

I have my home supplies stocked up, and some of the items in my little stockpile does include a Springfield XD .40 cal with a 9mm conversion barrel. I also have a both .40 and 9mm ammo set aside just for scenarios like this. I included the conversion barrel as I felt this will add more flexability for ammo that I can use that I can gather after the fact as well. There is also a 30-06 and a .22 rifle that can be readily available as well - including special ammo set aside for those as well.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernZ71 View Post
    Yep, and to put your Social Security # on your forearm in some cases.

But no I didnt see the commercial
    The "Put your SS number on your arm" is indeed used sometime - but only when people refuse follow evacutation orders. It kinda drives the point home - "if you don't evacute at least make it easier on us when we need to identify your body"

I will also say +1 to stevem174 statement about CERT teams.

Administrator

For years now the U.S. Govt has said that every household should keep 3 gallons of pure drinking water and three full days of food for every member of every household but, I'm guessing not 2% of the U.S. population ever paid any attention to that.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    For years now the U.S. Govt has said that every household should keep 3 gallons of pure drinking water and three full days of food for every member of every household but, I'm guessing not 2% of the U.S. population ever paid any attention to that.
    A minimum of 1 gallon per person/per day. 3 days X 4 people = 12 gallons. That is potable water, not water for flushing toilets, washing up etc.

If this is offtopic, I apologize, but I've wondered about this, in this type of scenario.

I still remember a few years ago when we were hit by multiple hurricanes in a year. My house didn't have power for over a week with Charlie, but other than that and some minor roof damage, we emerged mostly okay.

However, let's say there was an incident where you had to defend yourself in those types of times, and cell phones were jammed (not even 911 going through), and landlines were not functioning (which they weren't during that time). What happens? What do you do? Even if you could call police, they might not be able to help you due to other calls. Do you just leave things be? What if they fall in your house; you can't just leave them there, but you also don't want to touch anything.

Anyway, its not a great situation.

HI All
    And the point to my thread was that in the senerio you are in chaos(Katrina) State and local gov admits on TV prior to any event you are on your own for 72hr no law enforcement help !! so as shown in every riot or catostrofic event in us history looters and zombies are walking the st. what is defensive senerio and liabilities there of , we saw the illegal round up of weapons by law enforcement in katrina and the ill capability of law enforcement to stop the roving bands of zombies(BG) so do you hunker down with AR15 and defend property and what are liabilities of doing so are you justified by the state by airing comercial saying you are on your own but just short of saying have gun to defend yourself and then commercial disapears not to be shown again possible antigun nuts?
    "If you want peace, prepare for war." Si vis pacem, para bellum.
    NRA Member - GRNC Member
    Old Paratroopers never die , we just regroup!!
    82nd ABN DIV.. GOD Bless our Troops!!
    Foward Observer 3/505thPIR - A/319thAFAR
    87-91 "Just Cause - Desert Sheild/Storm"

Links