Non lethal in defense of property/legal assault?

This is a discussion on Non lethal in defense of property/legal assault? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A lot of threads have been coming up about general mischief and vandalism happening. Obviously this doesn't warrant lethal force. Say you see someone breaking ...

Thread: Non lethal in defense of property/legal assault?

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar

Non lethal in defense of property/legal assault?

A lot of threads have been coming up about general mischief and vandalism happening. Obviously this doesn't warrant lethal force. Say you see someone breaking into your car. You tell them to stop, and they don't. You still can't draw, because you're not presently in danger. So if I walk up to the guy and rip him away from my car, it's probably going to start a fight. Ethics of fighting if you are CCW or not aside, (so lets assume you're unarmed), if it escalates into a fight, who is liable? I have a feeling you could lose that one because you laid hands on the other guy first...so it almost seems like they can do whatever they want as long as they don't threaten you. I'm bored and should probably stop pondering stuff.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    How I would react is going to depend on where my truck is located. If on the street I'll call LEO and let them handle it. If on my property, I'll still call LEO, but I'll put the guy down so he's not going anywhere. A kick to the back of the leg, kick to the knee or anyplace else strategic. Remember, when the cops show up, he is the one who was trespassing, and he is the one who had broken into your vehicle.

Here in Texas, you have justify to use deadly forces on your own property.

Lead Moderator
    I think you need to research your states laws regarding property and what you can or cannot do.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

A blast horn..... hit the button and just hold it down until you run out of air. Seems to attract a lot of people, especially at night, and attracts attention that no thief wants. If nothing else, the neighbors call the police for you disturbing the peace... and they get lots of calls.

I've actually done that. There were 3 of them and they didn't think I was a match for the 3 of them. I didn't have anything handy (no gun, etc) and a blast horn I had was sitting there, so I did exactly that. Everyone within 1/2 mile were calling the police. They ran...... when I didn't let off the button and it just kept going.

If that doesn't work, pump a shell into your shotgun..... that works too.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Good point. I've just been sparring a lot out here, and it makes me wish for the good ol days when you could resolve things with a nice fist fight. Sure both people are going to get hurt, but nobody is going to die. Lesson learned and move on. Nowadays you get charged with felony assault for that kind of stuff. Oh well.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Links