"I heard the door bell ring and thought it was you...come home now!!"

This is a discussion on "I heard the door bell ring and thought it was you...come home now!!" within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This happened about a year ago recently after my wife and I had moved into our first house in a new neighborhood. Fairly new to ...

Thread: "I heard the door bell ring and thought it was you...come home now!!"

"I heard the door bell ring and thought it was you...come home now!!"

This happened about a year ago recently after my wife and I had moved into our first house in a new neighborhood. Fairly new to the forum so thought this the right place to share.
    I was at work late overseeing a process start-up after holiday. I was just getting finished up talking to the shift supervisors when my wife called me and quietly asked "Are you almost home?" It was really late, 12:15 am or so. Well I replied "no" and asked what was wrong. As I answered her I noticed our chihuahua was in the back ground barking non-stop. This was not unusual but the fact that my wife had not hushed her yet was. "I heard the doorbell ring and thought it was you, like you had forgot your house key. I went downstairs, the front door light was on and I saw a man standing back from the door." She motioned to the man that she would not open the door. He nodded an "ok" and she ran back upstairs and called me. "It wasn't one of the neighbors and the dog won't come upstairs and wont quit barking. Come home now!! " I immediately left for home (10min trip this time of night/morning) with her on the phone and told her to stay upstairs and if she heard any movement (other than the dog who did not stop barking OR until I came in-Announced) or noise to hang up dial 9-1-1, YELL downstairs to "whoever" it was that she was armed and for the intruder to not come up the stairs and police are on the way. Fortunately, she never had to hang up on me. I pulled my truck in the drive way, high beams lighting up front of house and door, told the wife I was there and needed to hang up but would call before coming in the front door. With truck gun now in waistband with right hand on grip, flashlight in left, I searched perimeter of house before telling wife I was about to enter the front door. After about 15min of securing the perimeter, I took her car for quick search through neighborhood for unsual vehicles or people out walking-none found. As I drove back to house, noticed our house was the only one on the street "awake" with all the outside lights on as my wife did so earlier for me on my return from work. Talked to neighbor cop later in week and he said recent breakins had occured in nearby subdivision but during day while no one was home and said this didn't sound like that but he did make not of it and we now have local LEO that cruise the neighborhood at random. I later dismissed event as someone lost and our house was the only one "awake" for directions in an otherwise "safe" subdivision. Needless to say, now the house stays dark at night unless we have company over.

2. Remove Ads

Glad to hear it worked out ok for you guys. Be safe and keepthe doors locked.
    Michigan Gun Owner
    Michigan CPL Holder
    Proud Member of The NRA

Did you buy her a gun and get her to the range so next time she can say honey are you almost home we got a mess this guy is bleeding all over the new carpet
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Sounds like the situation was handled well. Only concern I have was you going out in her car to cruise the neighborhood afterward. What good does that do? You can't confront anyone you would have come across, and you left her at home alone again.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    To be honest, if it is really to that point, she needed to hang up with you and call the police immediately rather than waiting on the phone with you.

Remember one of our mantras "When seconds count, 911 is just minutes away". If it had turned out to be someone who was going to do a home invasion, she could have been in serious trouble and maybe not even have the chance to hang up and call 911 before that BG got to her.

Otherwise, glad it worked out for you two. Is she armed and capable of handling herself now?
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

VIP Member
    What would you have done if found "people out walking"in your neighborhood?

VIP Member
    Even if your house is lit up, midnight is pretty late for someone to stop and ask for directions or whatever.

Good thing your wife didn't open the door.

Once my house/wife was safe, I too would have probably driven around the block hoping to see an explanation for the door knock.......a suspicious person (call the police), a teen age kid who ran out of gas, or a couple just walking their dog.

I don't like loose ends.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Lead Moderator
    I would suggest motion lights. That way the house is dark, but if someone approaches , they are lit up. BG's don't like to be noticed, so a dark house would actually be better for their movements.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I ran off the road on my way home from the late shift once and had to walk a half mile to the first house with lights on. I knocked ont he door and the owner was kind enough to allow me to use his cordless phone from outside his house without holding me at gun point. this was back in 97.

if they ring/knock, chances are good they do not have ill intentions. but if they do then opening the door could be bad. This is th eperfect scenario for a front door intercom. ask what they want without ever opening the door.
    "An armed society is a polite society" - Robert A. Heinlein

A few years ago, someone wrong my doorbell around midnight. I was like ***. I had just got ready for bed. Grab my gun and make my way to the front door.

I peeped though the peep hole and saw a man and woman, stood behind the door and cracked it to see what they wanted. I didn't open the rod iron security door with the pelxiglass but I could see and hear them. They said they had ran out of gas and the were from Milan(about 20-30mins away) and if I could go get some for them and they were willing to pay and would wait till I got back. They had left someone's house from watching the Heavyweight fight that night.

Told them sorry i couldn't help them. They may have really needed gas but I'm sorry I just don't trust ppl too quick, also I was tired and kinda peeved they rung my bell so late, figured they should've made sure they had gas before they came down or hike it back to the house they were watching the fight but after peeping out after they left. I did have my porch light on(back yard has motion lights). I guess they figured they'd ring the bell and see.

I really like helping people but you never can tell, i rather be safe than sorry

Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    To be honest, if it is really to that point, she needed to hang up with you and call the police immediately rather than waiting on the phone with you.
    Yep. Get the calvary on the way if possible. They might arrive before you could, and they'll certainly be better armed and possibly more of them.

Not sure what your neighborhood is like... if you depend on a county sheriff that might be 45 minutes away, then calling 911 may not have helped immediately if the guy decided to break down the door. But in that situation, you never know where the sheriff is: he might be 2 minutes from your house on a routine cruise.

And I'd certainly have her call 911 immediately in a residential neighborhood with good police response. I'd call 911 also and tell them I was armed and on my way. And when the operator told me to either put my gun away or stay away, I'd tell him/her to shove it and do their job by getting police on the scene. I'd call myself because I'd want the police to know I would be arriving soon and would be armed (and also in case her call didn't go through or she was unable to make it). Then I'd keep 911 on the line and let them know I arrived if I arrived before LEO. If I arrived after LEO, I'd know not to come in with gun in hand.

I'd also have let the police check the neighborhood. They have more manpower, more weapons, more training, and more time on their shift to keep looking. Plus dogs, plus any knowledge of possible related crimes in the area, plus perhaps repeated cruises through the neighborhood that same night after you went on to bed.

But the most important thing IMO would have been for her to call 911 immediately, even if it meant not calling you until the police were on the scene.

BTW, did this incident help her see the benefit of her being armed, or was she armed already?

Not trying to be critical--I appreciate you posting because it causes some of the rest of us to think how we would respond, rather than wondering how to respond for the first time when we are actually put in that situation.

Thanks again for all the responses and hope for more. I did post this for "critiques" as this was the first "possible home invasion" I had encountered.

I am a good samaritan at heart and one detail I left I out was that the "neighbor cop" (30yrds down street from ours) had his marked cuiser parked in the street at the time. So my first thought was that someone had broken down on the road infront of our subdivision and our house is a stone's throw from the entrance and the nearest gas station is adn 2+ miles away. Seeing the police car two houses form ours would suggest "safe neighborhood" as it is one and figured if they're up they might be willing to help. Wife's car stays in the garage all the time and truck stays in driveway. Logic behind her car was if someone had cased house earlier with driveway empty... now it was not. Also, I wanted to make sure that there was not someone genuinely i need of help. After seeing not cars broken down of some one "standed in the cold" as it was ~20def F at the time. I called it a night and we went to sleep. Wife was armed. However, until that point, she was never openly interested in my "gun hobby" since then she has followed me to the range for my practice sessions.
    Thanks again for the constructive criticisim as that was the intent of the post.

Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post

Remember one of our mantras "When seconds count, 911 is just minutes away". If it had turned out to be someone who was going to do a home invasion, she could have been in serious trouble and maybe not even have the chance to hang up and call 911 before that BG got to her.

Otherwise, glad it worked out for you two. Is she armed and capable of handling herself now?
    ^ what he said...

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Sounds like the situation was handled well. Only concern I have was you going out in her car to cruise the neighborhood afterward. What good does that do? You can't confront anyone you would have come across, and you left her at home alone again.
    I agree with archer-stay home with the wife have an officer come take a report, look around the neighborhood and then it is noted that there was an incident in your neighborhood and your house. I saw motion lights posted earlier that to is a great idea. And of course consider a weapon for your wife and make sure she knows how to use it. Glad nothing more serious happened-stay safe.

Links