What could possibly make you reach for that 2nd mag?

This is a discussion on What could possibly make you reach for that 2nd mag? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A coworker has stated that the average gun battle results in a total of 5 rounds being discharged (no idea what he's citing for this ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What could possibly make you reach for that 2nd mag?

A coworker has stated that the average gun battle results in a total of 5 rounds being discharged (no idea what he's citing for this bit of info...).

This seems reasonable, but how likely are you to need more than even 5 shots in a 357 revolver?

Do you semi-auto people carry extra magazines with you when you're out & about?

Absolutely. 27 rounds of .357 Sig in one reload. Why be undergunned when it's so easy to carry extra ammo? Ever considered multiple assailants, a running gunbattle, or malfunctions? Sure, stand and deliver six rounds MAY be enough. But gunfights very seldom are static.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Well, this.

I carry 35 rounds, but will probably drop that to 30 soon.
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

VIP Member
    Oh I don't know... like AZ said, how about a malfunction?
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member
    I consider ammo just like a gun. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. If I'm carrying my 1911 I have (7+1) in it and 2 (7 rounds ea) spares. If I'm carrying my CZ .40 cal 12+1 in the gun and a spare 12 round mag., my CZ 9mm gives my 15+1 in it and a spare 15 rounds in the second mag.

I used the first 9 rounds attempting to solve the problem and factors being what they are, find that I may need a little more in the way of persuading the threat to cease to being one.

Malfunction or perhaps in my attempt to get behind cover I ejected the magazine and the threat hasn't ran away knowing I have a firearm, which means I better get a loaded magazine in place, because I think I might need it.

Say you expended 5 rounds (the actual stat, once suicides and ND/AD's are removed form most studies is 6 rounds most of which originated out of th epolice forces) and there is a lull, topping off makes the most sense tactically, because a situation could flare up and escalate and that 5 rounds could make all the difference in the world.

I've been attacked by a gang of five and a gang of twelve.

I'm not interested in "averages".

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Oh I don't know... like AZ said, how about a malfunction?
    +2.

I don't carry a second mag for the extra rounds, but rather as a backup to a component that can and does malfunction.......probably more than any other part of the weapon system.

Of course there's nothing wrong with having the extra rounds too......
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

While the average number of rounds in a gun fight may be 5 (and I believe that would be inclusive for both sides), that means there are plenty of fights that are not average. The thing about gun fight stats is that each gun fight is a unique and independent event. That means that just because there is an average, what has happened historically has ZERO bearing on how my fight or your fight may proceed.

The way I see it, there is no inconvenience to me by carrying spare mags, but there is some very real potential benefit if they are needed. So I see the cost to me as being nil...sort of like being given a free lottery ticket.

Also, if you take the time to research gun fights, you won't ever fight instances of people complaining that the had too much ammo. The same is not true for people having too little ammo.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

I'd be interested to learn what the average number of gun carryers are brought into the coroner's office with empty firearms...

...I don't play the average, either. While my XD has 16 +1, the two extra mags on my belt mean I've got 49 rounds with me. I'd hate to ever think that this isn't enough...
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

JD
    Administrator
    I have no faith in "average" by reason alone, an average is somewhere in the middle of the high end and the low end, if 3-5 is "average" then there are times where more was needed.

I always carry a spare mag, just for the malfunction aspect, but the ammunition doesn't hurt either.

If all one is ready for is average, I sincerely hope the never find themselves in an above average situation.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best. Plan on carrying more ammo and hope you don't need it.

Lead Moderator
    Better too much , than too little. I almost always carry a spare mag.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

"Carry an extra MAG??"...R U Kidding?? Of course I do...and here's a fact...I shoot 1911/.45...and carry two guns a lot of the time...one in shoulder holster and another inside waistband-ctr of back. Malfunction?..during a gun battle?...mess around with fixing it?...fuggetaboutit!... grab my backup gun!

My G22 mag is 15, I carry 1 to 2 spare mags (30-45 rounds total) depending on where I'm going.

Like Thumper said I take malfunctions into account and being in the Army for 22 years I believe in the old saying "You can never have enough ammo."

Hope I don't ever need to change mags, but alway prepared, just in case!
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Never heard anyone after a shoot out say, "man, wish I had less ammo".
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links