Cleared my house tonight !

This is a discussion on Cleared my house tonight ! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Took a nap this afternoon, one of the cats woke me up, it was already dark. I thought: let's play a scenario like it was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleared my house tonight !

Cleared my house tonight !

Took a nap this afternoon, one of the cats woke me up, it was already dark.

I thought: let's play a scenario like it was the middle of the night and I just heard a suspicious noise; let's check.

Getting of the bed, first question, grab the Glock on the nightstand or the 12 ga Mossberg on a shelf under the bed; since I had the shotgun since Christmas and didn't practice much with it, I went for the Glock (many, many thousands of rds).

Then I proceeded to "clear " the house; that was an eye-opener !!!
    We've only lived in that house (thyat I designed myself) for some 23 years, but only today did I realize that the hallway between the bedroom and the living area is shorter on the left by over a foot; makes a big difference how you would "slice" it.

Also realized that the counter in the living area is lined up with the hallway and would be a death trap, giving great cover to a BG .

Found other interesting facts and had me rethink completely the way I would handle the situation "for real".

I suggest you try it preferably just waking up, you might learn some things, I did !!!

BTW, I did that while my wife was running errands in town
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Thanks for the update and I was going to call over to see You. Maybe another time.

Yeah I've done it with my hanguns a few times (when no one is home). Now I'm starting with my rifle as well. I've noticed a few things as well in my own home. I try to change somethings to see if they work better.

G19, G23, P2000 (9mm), LMT Defender 2000 (SOPMOD), Colt LE6920, Ruger 10/22

That's why even trained professionals working in a team don't like clearing houses. I'll go to the safe room, call the police, cover the door, and let the police clear the house.

One of the shooting shows, I think it was Shooting Gallery, went to one of the big shooting academies where they have force on force training with airsoft. They said in their house clearing scenarios the person playing the role of the homeowner clearing the house was shot almost every time.

I would agree completely if you lived by yourself. However, sometimes you have to get to your child's room.

True, and with a house set up like my parent's (seems many one-story houses in Florida are this way), the master bedroom is often on the completely opposite side of the house.

Thanks for the reminder! Just did a sweep with my G19 and Streamlight M-6 light/laser attached. The layout never changes, but the way you approach things might. Everyone's asleep but me. IMO...pistol over SG any day for the home sweep.

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    True, and with a house set up like my parent's (seems many one-story houses in Florida are this way), the master bedroom is often on the completely opposite side of the house.
    Yup. Back in the day the attitude towards kids was, "We can always make more." : )

That's why they used to give us giant steel darts to go throw at each other in the yard. The kid too stupid to moved got replaced.

Administrator
    I did an office building, a home and a small factory tonight. All but the factory were buildings I've never been in before. I found nothing interesting except a dead guy in the factory. It looked like the night watchman was snoozing and forgot to wake up.

Anyway, its great that you put some thought and effort into learning how to move around your own home in a tactical, safe manner. Everybody should do so. You can't solve every house clearing problem, but at least you can figure out were the problems are before you are playing for keeps.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    The best advice was given, defend your present location in the house and call the cops.

If not practical (due to children), then stay back from the corners of the house in my view when clearing, if you can sneak a peak around them, guess what, so can the BG. I know every law enforcement agency is taught a little differently. We in the service were taught a few feet back from the corner gives us a vantage point of seeing the corner better and that which lies beyond and will allow you to employ your weapon quicker or more room to have it at the ready position.

Now as mentioned in clearing a house or residential place of living, there is never a perfect way, there are always drawbacks, but knowing your layout as mentioned here and doing it at various times and in various conditions is as close as we can get.

My best advice is go slow and just use common sense. It worked well for me for many years.

Just my view on it.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    ...You can't solve every house clearing problem, but at least you can figure out were the problems are before you are playing for keeps.
    Agreed. It's a good exercise to go through. Even better if you have a partner and a couple of airsoft guns. Having someone shoot at you as you do it is the only way to find out if you are really doing it right and to see where you need to adjust. Plus that makes it kind of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Thanks for the reminder! Just did a sweep with my G19 and Streamlight M-6 light/laser attached. The layout never changes, but the way you approach things might. Everyone's asleep but me. IMO...pistol over SG any day for the home sweep.
    Would you care to elaborate, I'm in the early learning curve on the art of the SG.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

My reason behind pistol/rifle before shotgun for house clearing is because the BG may have a family member hostage. You may need to take a head shot if necessary (from what I learned at Front Sight).

I do it about once a month with my gun pistol or SG. My son's room is on the other end of the house so I have to check on him every night. I just do it with out the gun. Still ocassionlly trip on toy though.lol

Out of curiosity for those with kids have you instructed and drilled them on what to do if they think there is an intruder in the house and if so what is the plan? I'm thinking something like:

1. Do not under any circumstance open your door (which should already be closed and locked with a regular interior door lock of the kind that just takes a coin or small screwdriver as a key, with the screwdrive type being the better of the two) or make any noise

2. Roll off the bed ( do not stand or sit up) quietly and hide underneath (gets them as far out of the potential line of fire as possible) and remain quiet until Mommy or Daddy gives the safe word e.g. "spinach casserole". If Mommy or Daddy is outside the door and say the emergency phrase e.g. "peanut butter sandwich" then do not open the door. Get out through the window. This would be used if you were taken hostage and the assailant wanted you to get the kids to open their doors. "Come on out and Mommy will make your favorite peanut butter sandwich for a snack" = get out now, quietly.

Do you have intercom systems setup in the house to be able to communicate between bedrooms? For this I'm thinking of the ones like Radio Shack sells in a three pack for $59 that work over the house's wiring http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2036287. If so then step three would be added above to hit the call button so it rings in Mommy and Daddy's room. Maybe the intercom is positioned on the floor next to the bed so they can quietly and easily slide it under with them to receive instructions. No trying to move it from the nightstand in the dark under stress. The intercom can also be used to check if they are safe or if it's necessary to try to clear the house to get to them. Also to reassure them if the plan is to stay put until the police arrive. Another use for the intercoms or something similar is for you be able to send an alarm to the kids indicating they should take step one and two above because you think you heard something and are either investigating or have called the police.

Is there a designated family safe room? A rendezvous point outside the home where the family should meet should it be necessary for everyone to evacuate separately? I'm thinking this should already be established in case of fire so you know everyone got out safely. Is there a particular neighbor's house the kids should go to? How would you signal them from within the house if you are away from the intercom that they should get out? Maybe a coach's whistle or even better a high decibel survival whistle http://www.survival-gear.com/rescue-howler-whistle.htm means get out the window and to the rendezvous point or the neighbors to call the police. It would be simple to keep a whistle on a lanyard with the home defense firearm. For those with bedrooms on the second floor a window escape ladder could be used (good to have for fires anyways and not very expensive.).

I'm curious to know what overall plans people have in place beyond practicing clearing the house, which to me is the measure that should only be taken in the absolute last resort. Much better to have a way to communicate everyone's status and a plan for how to stay safe and stay put until the police arrive. Run a drill on it and a fire drill monthly so everyone is always fresh on what to do.

Just a though. If there is an alert system established like with the intercoms make sure the kids know they will never, ever, get in any trouble for issuing a false alarm. The last think you'd want is them laying there thinking they hear footsteps in the hall or a window breaking and being afraid to push the button because it will make Mommy and Daddy mad if it turns out to be nothing.

Sorry, this started as a simple question and turned into a long ramble.
    The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.-H. L. Mencken

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links