Gran Torino Scenarios

Gran Torino Scenarios

This is a discussion on Gran Torino Scenarios within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you haven't seen the movie - don't read this thread. Go watch the trailer Gran Torino then go see the movie. If you have, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Gran Torino Scenarios

If you haven't seen the movie - don't read this thread. Go watch the trailer Gran Torino then go see the movie.

If you have, let's discuss the scenarios in the movie where Clint pulled a weapon.

1. When someone was trying to steal his car, he ran to stop them in the garage with his M1.
    2. A gang is beating up the neighbor kids and the fight moves onto his yard. He pulls his M1 out and stops the fight.
    3.The neighbor daughter is being harassed by the three African American thugs. He gets out of the car with a pipe wrench stuck in his belt - and tells them to stop by pointing his finger- and for the girl to get in his truck. When this doesn't work he pulls his 1911 on them.
    4. Clint retaliates against the gang member for beating up Toad. He went to the gang member's house - and beat the snot out of the kid. He pulls his 1911 and tells him to leave Toad alone.
    5. He ran out of his house with his 1911 after the drive by shooting and into the neighbor's house to check on them.

Please respond by noting which scenario # you are referring to. Did he have justification? What would you have done differently? All we know about the situation - is what you saw in the movie.

UPDATE: assume this is in your state with the laws that you are familiar with.

I haven't seen the movie yet but a lot would depend on the state laws where the movie is set. Some of the scenarios occurred on his property. In TX he would have more options in the way he handled the situation then say New York.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

Dooooooooood... it's fiction. With that being said, Clint Eastwood shares the macho invincible gene with the likes of Chuck Norris. He can do anything he wants and no one mortal can stop him.He is so godlike that he gave his life for a guy that wasn't even his real son.Set and filmed in MICHIGAN!!!

It's Hollywierd.

Don't look to them for tactics or laws, just entertainment. If you try to do the stuff that makes a good movie we will read about you in the papers. You will either be in the Obituary Section or the Crime Section, and you will not be a "hero".

Biker

I have not seen the movie but I also live in TX, so pretty much any of the scenarios would be "feasable" although not very smart (especially the wrench in the belt).

We can come to the aid of a 3rd party with no problems, until a trial lawyer or over zealous DA gets wind of it. We can protect ourselves with no issues on our own property, so any of the examples you gave where the issues spilled over in to his yard, good to go.

With that said, I grew up in a gang filled area and even participated in said "social clubs" and this kind of stuff would have brought a war to his door step in a hurry.

I say if you just stick to defending yourself you will make it, but I'll always come to the aid of others in need (that's how my Dad raised me).

EDIT: I forgot scenario #4, bad idea and a new wardrobe would be in the near future (orange jumpsuit perhaps).
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

You guys just don't get it. No one wants to be a hollywood hero. We often talk about scenarios where - we weren't there, we don't know what happened - but you guys fry the guy asking (once again). This is an opportunity for us to discuss a few scenarios where we have all eye witnessed the scene.

My question is - in your state - based on those scenarios - what would you have done different.

For example, I live in Texas.

1. - he had every right to protect his car, but in my opinion a rifle is too difficult to manage in a small, dark room.
    2. His life was not in danger, but unless he could prove that the life of one of his neighbors were in peril, he might have a hard time proving third person.
    3. This one seems legit. Although he pulled it off in a way that only Eastwood could, I think that he could have justification for pulling his weapon to deescalate the situation - especially since the three guys were now approaching and threatening him.
    4. Cool movie scene - the BG obviously deserved it - but not legally justifiable. He definitely would have done time for this.
    5. This was legit - I think in a similar situation you might naturally proceed from your house with a weapon to defend your neighbors.

In MO:
    1> Castle doctrine - gtg
    2> Disparity of force - 5 gang members vs. a kid half the size of the smallest, and two women. GTG
    3> Disparity of force - he watched them for a while attacking the guy she's with as well as grabbing/pushing her. GTG
    4> Go to jail
    5> GTG. He came out of the house with gun when the car/gang was still out front - not smart.

#4 Well, the gang member was attacking the bottom of Clints shoe with his face. Being that Clint is thrifty, those shoes were probably vintage 1953 leathers. He was trying to protect his property...???
    Semper Fi!

Engineers Up!

Quote Originally Posted by top_gizmo View Post
    #4 Well, the gang member was attacking the bottom of Clints shoe with his face. Being that Clint is thrifty, those shoes were probably vintage 1953 leathers. He was trying to protect his property...???
    winner!!!!!

I haven't seen the movie yet. It sounds like a lot of brandishing weapons at BGs. I got to go see it.

I have not seen the movie either, but just from the previews, I am forced to wonder if the producers are trying to make a statement about our "Gun Toting Society" portraying exactly what the Anti's believe will happen with everyone in the country going willy nilly with a gun.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

OK I'll play.The film was not anti gun. It makes a statement to the degradation of social ethics and morals.It speaks to the falling apart of the family structure and the lack of leadership shown to youth by parents. It speaks to the desire to cling to old values and to resist the inevitable change that comes with mixed cultures in large old American cities and suburbs. It also addresses the demons that follow some of our warriors after battle and their individual struggle to make amends before the end comes. it also makes the statement that there is always time for action before the end comes.It also gives a look at the results of parents having to work so hard to keep up with the Jones's that they forfeit the bonding experience with their own children when it is available.
    Walt was in Michigan where it is leagal to own guns and protect yourself. MI recognizes "castle doctrine" and it was never stated in the film if Walt had a carry permit. If he did not, he was in violation of MI law by CCW in his truck. He would have been within his rights to protect his property and others from harm while armed. The film also touched on calling police vs taking direct action, but was not anti police or anti gun. It was anti gang and anti being a sheep.The film treated the guns (Walt's) as a symbol of authority to make change for right, not as a bad thing. The gangbangers arms were a symbol of the futility of standing against superior arms to make change. Walt was a thinking man and used his last chance to bring about change while giving the remaining good guys a rallying cause.

Spot on crankshop! If you haven't seen it, you should. It's a very good movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    I have not seen the movie either, but just from the previews, I am forced to wonder if the producers are trying to make a statement about our "Gun Toting Society" portraying exactly what the Anti's believe will happen with everyone in the country going willy nilly with a gun.
    I havn't seen the film yet, probably will this weekend.
    I guess the real question from what I have read here is, "Does the movie put gun owners in a bad light, in general, and should we boycot the movie if it does?"

Think about it this way, does your average middle of the road undecided on gun issue citizen think, "Gee, something like this could happen in my neighbor hood. It might not be a bad idea to look into getting a gun for protection." or would they think "Geesh this is exactly why they should make all the gun owners turn in their guns, and let the police handle these situations!"

Either way I think I will still go see the movie.

After having watched the movie last night, I don't feel it portrays armed citizens in a bad light. In my opinion it really points out the corrosive, insidious, unwelcome, and ever-growing effect that race-specific gangs have on their fellow immigrants. The family featured in the movie is harassed, beaten, abused, burned, raped, and their house is shot all to pieces in a drive by. All this because their teenage son refuses to join this little gang of pathetic wannabe loser-men.

The 2nd very strong message in the movie is the complete lack of role models for thousands of inner-city male youth. The character development between Walt (Eastwood) and Toad (boy next door) is beautiful, funny, and quite realistic in pacing. This movie hits home for me as I had a grandpa much like Walt's character and he was a WWII vet. Wish he was still around, I would watch it with him and maybe appreciate him a little more.

The firearms come into play as a force-equalizer between a 75+ year old man (a bad*** man, no doubt) and a group of 5-6 20-something gangbangers. Spoiler here, Eastwood's character never actually shoots anyone... just beats a few up. Will the antis say boo and look at this horrible movie? Maybe... Should we boycott it? I say no. Just my $0.02

P.S. Thanks again to all you men and women in uniform, thank you for the time you spend away from home and for the situations you're put into for our freedoms.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down & lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, & may posterity forget you were countrymen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links