Potential victim ‘got the jump on him,’

This is a discussion on Potential victim ‘got the jump on him,’ within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This happened last night about 5 minutes from my house. Robber shot, killed by victim in E. Atlanta | ajc.com Robbery suspect shot, killed in ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Potential victim ‘got the jump on him,’

Potential victim ‘got the jump on him,’

This happened last night about 5 minutes from my house.

Robber shot, killed by victim in E. Atlanta | ajc.com

Robbery suspect shot, killed in East Atlanta
    Potential victim ‘got the jump on him,’ fires 5 or 6 times

By MIKE MORRIS, TIM EBERLY

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Thursday, January 15, 2009

A robbery suspect was shot and killed by his intended victim outside an East Atlanta Village bar late Wednesday, Atlanta police said Thursday.

Atlanta police identified the slain man as Jamarcus Usher, 29, of the Decatur area.

Police do not believe the shooting has any connection to the recent high-profile killing at a bar on Memorial Drive. The suspected robber carried a Colt .40-caliber handgun, while the gun that killed bar worker John Henderson was a 9mm, Atlanta police Detective Michael Willis said.

The killing Wednesday comes a week after Henderson’s murder in another popular hangout about two miles away, Standard Food & Spirits, sparked an outpouring of community support and galvanized grassroots efforts to improve public safety by some who say the city is becoming more dangerous.

Willis declined to name the man and woman police said were the intended robbery victims. The man who opened fire in self defense is a 28-year-old who works in the airline industry and lives in a northern suburb of Atlanta, possibly Cobb County, Willis said.

The woman he was with — they have been dating for a couple of months — is around 40 years old and lives in the Marietta area, Willis said.

Wednesday night, the couple made their way to the popular East Atlanta Village, known for its trendy bars and eateries, because they have been taking swing-dancing lessons, Willis said.

Their dancing instructor told them that one of the East Atlanta bars, Graveyard Tavern, had “big band nights,” Willis said.

“So they came down here to dance,” Willis said.

When they left the bar around 11:15 p.m., the man gave his date the keys to his Ford Ranger pickup truck so she could drive. They walked to the truck, parked in an Ace Hardware lot across a side street on the same side of Glenwood Avenue.

Inside the vehicle, the woman was adjusting the driver’s seat and mirrors when the man looked over his shoulder and saw Usher standing at his passenger window, Willis said.

Believing the man was going to beg for money, the passenger rolled down his window a few inches, Willis said. But he had a strange feeling about the man, so he grabbed his gun from the glove box and put it on his lap, Willis said.

He asked the stranger what he wanted, and noticed the man was reaching for his waistband or pockets, the detective said. Instinctively, the passenger shoved open his door, knocking the suspected robber back a few feet, Willis said. The woman started screaming.

The man got out of the truck and the suspected robber raised a weapon at him, Willis said. “When he saw that, he just started shooting,” the detective said.

The man shot the suspected robber five or six times, in the stomach and chest, Willis said. The robber did not fire any shots.

“He just got the jump on him,” Willis said of the victim. “He told me he fired until the guy was no longer a threat to him.”

Willis said the man’s accuracy was impressive. In an interview later, the man told Willis that his brother used to shoot firearms competitively and taught him to shoot.

As one could expect, the shooting left the man and his companion visibly shaken.

“He actually said, ‘I’m surprised I haven’t thrown up yet,’ ” Willis said. “He was that upset.”

Willis said he did not know much about the suspected robber. A criminal background check did not reveal any recent arrests by Atlanta police, but he might have a criminal history in DeKalb County.

-Staff writer Chandler Brown contributed to this article.
    Reads about like some of the "I would do..." posts around here"

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    “He told me he fired until the guy was no longer a threat to him.”
    Job well done.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    “He told me he fired until the guy was no longer a threat to him.”
    Exactly like he should do.

Willis said the man’s accuracy was impressive.
    As the old saying goes: "Practice makes perfect".

OK all you GA members, fess up, which one of you did it!

I don't see how the guy who did the shooting was a victim at all. Sounds like a survivor and a winner to me.
    Pray for our nations leaders!

Also offtopic, but a 28 year old going out with a 40 year old woman. Oh yea...

sorry. Anyway, good for him, it could've turned out much worse. Good thing he made the decision to push him with the door. It's another one of those situations that sounds sort of ambiguous at first but isn't really.

It looks like this reporter may be on our side. The person being robbed was the victim. They were only reacting to being robbed.

Michael

Thumbs up

Willis said of the victim. “He told me he fired until the guy was no longer a threat to him.”

Based on this guy's "stop the threat" quote, I would say he's had some CCW training. I also like how the story refers to the shooter as the "victim". So often, the media will refer to the deceased bad guy as the victim which always gets me going.

"He asked the stranger what he wanted, and noticed the man was reaching for his waistband or pockets, the detective said. Instinctively, the passenger shoved open his door, knocking the suspected robber back a few feet"

This is a great example of once you decide there is a threat you must act, and act with agression in order to be the victor in the conflict. If you are always waiting to re-act you will always be a step behind in the fight!
    EDC: Glock 30 IWB Tucker Gunleather - Silent Thunder
    Ruger LCP - BUG in front or back pocket

"In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where I can see them!"

Senior Moderator
    He was aware of his surroundings and was unafarid to act when he had too.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

The suspected robber carried a Colt .40-caliber handgun
    I'm thinking either the Colt or the .40 caliber is wrong. Probably the Colt part.
    The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.-H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Wuchak View Post
    I'm thinking either the Colt or the .40 caliber is wrong. Probably the Colt part.

Yeah I thought that was the only strange part about the article. I didn't think Colt made a gun chambered in .40 S&W

me
    Sounds like a smart shooter. Handing the keys to his truck off and gun in the glove box, sounds like he had taken a drink or two and still responded well.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Believing the man was going to beg for money, the passenger rolled down his window a few inches, Willis said. But he had a strange feeling about the man, so he grabbed his gun from the glove box and put it on his lap, Willis said.
    Only problem I see is that he rolled the window down and let the guy approach. Beggars, homless, and bums will recieve no help, attention, or pity from me. They dug their own hole, and they can stay in it or dig themselves out without my help.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    Also offtopic, but a 28 year old going out with a 40 year old woman. Oh yea...
    I'm 29 next week and my wife is 38! Love it that way, we've been together going on 6 years..

Jonathan

Thanks to the defender for taking out the garbage.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links