Found Myself In An Interesting Situation...

This is a discussion on Found Myself In An Interesting Situation... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last night my roommates and friends decide we will go to a local volleyball court at my roommates friends apartment complex and play some volleyball. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found Myself In An Interesting Situation...

Found Myself In An Interesting Situation...

Last night my roommates and friends decide we will go to a local volleyball court at my roommates friends apartment complex and play some volleyball. This is around 9:30pm last night. It is a very nice court has lights ect... There is about 15 of us. We are about 30 min into playing when we see a drunken teenager fall into the bushes about 100 yrds behind the volleyball court(he was trying to pee in them apparently). We all turn to look to see what happened as you could hear the bushes crack and branches break. He gets up looks around and dust his self off. Then he notices all of us looking at him. He yells some profanity and goes inside to come out with ~10 people which are all wasted and yelling profanity towards us. We are about to get our stuff and leave at this point when we see a person from the same apartment (3rd floor) come running down the stairs and hits the wall on the way down the 2nd flight full speed with his face and body. This does not seem to bother him and he comes charging us and we notice he has a 10" butcher knife in his hand and runs towards us. I am on the far side of the court but he gets within 5-10 feet of some of my friends on the other side. I am thinking OMG what is going on here.... we are all attempting to back up, yelling for him to drop the knife and not do anything stupid. While trying to get away he continues to charge us and acts like a ninja swinging the knife left to right acting like he will stab us. At this point i am regretting leaving my gun in my car so it would not get sandy playing volleyball. He ends up throwing the knife down about the time his friends get there to pull him back and he tries to swing on my roommate which avoids the punch. His friends get him settled down and back inside.

Anyways... after the fact I started thinking what would I have done if i had my gun I was in fear for my safety along with the safety of my roommates and 5-10 ft from a knife wheedling attacker is too close. I do not think I would have drawn unless he lunged towards one of us but then it would have been to late. I know I would have had the right to shoot in FL.

Very scary situation and I am glad it ended the way it did. We all left immediately after to return to our apartments. Fearing he may have gun or other weapon that he will return with.

What would you think you would have done in this situation if you had your gun on you? It all happened so fast but lasted what seemed like hours. I would say from the time of seeing the knife to him throwing it down it was 30 seconds.

I will now always have a gun on me even during my recreational activities.

Stay Safe and I am interested to hear your responses.

Adam

2. Remove Ads

Wow! Super close. Within 21 feet is considered a deadly threat. Glad no one was hurt. Did anyone call 911?

I'd run away if I didn't have my gun. Use the sand and the ball as weapons or obstacles.

VIP Member
    To each their own but I would have drawn and would have called the police even if it had ended like your incident did. 10 feet with a large knife is past time to draw in my book. That's just me!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Yeah we call the authorities but they were gone by then and we did not know the room they were at just on the third floor. In the building there are like 10 apartments on each floor. So nothing happened there. We gave a description, filed a report, ect...

Adam

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Had I had a gun, I would have drawn. Drunk people lose inhibition and rational thinking. Probably not considering consequences of their actions, and I've seen crazier stuff happen with drunks in the Corps. You have to do what you have to do though, and consider the 3 requirements for a good shoot.

Ability - He has a large knife, definitely capable of seriously injuring or killing someone. He's not elderly or weak, so he probably has the ability to use it.
    Opportunity - Within 10-15 feet, he could definitely use it.
    Intent - He's waving the knife at you and your friends, and charging. This is the one that would take a lot of judgement. Is he just trying to mess with you, or is he actually getting violent? Without more information, I can't say what I would have done as far as shoot/no shoot. If he had made a move, I probably would have shot.

Fortunately it deescalated before the situation got worse. It's always best to deescalate if possible. If you had had a gun, and had had to shoot, it would have been sad that a life was lost, but sometimes alcohol abuse does that.

Good decision to stay armed at all times :)
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

In a situation with the circumstances you've indicated (5' away, large knife, threatening behavior/speech regarding use of that knife, everyone apparently regarding it as deadly threatening as well), I would have no hesitation about terminating that threat once an opportunity presented itself. A.O.J.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    Intent - He's waving the knife at you and your friends, and charging. This is the one that would take a lot of judgment. Is he just trying to mess with you, or is he actually getting violent?
    That is just that.... By the time you know the intent the situation is over or to the point that some one is injured by the person. I feel he was just trying to scare us but you never know as he was intoxicated. Rational thinking goes bye bye.

Adam

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    If thats the feeling you got from your assessment of the situation, better to err on the side of your own safety than the other guy's.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

I would have used Fox Labs on the guy.

I talked to an SC police officer about a situation like this, and he told me, if a guy is coming after me with a knife, or a gun, shoot him dead.

I hate drunks.

If the drunk in the bushes was 100 yards away, how far away was the house the knife carrying drunk came from when he started at you? How far away when the knife was spotted? I'm afraid these questions would pop up after a shooting, as you would have to attempted to retreat if the danger came from that far away. Just my thoughts not having been there.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

This one ended well...that is not the case much of the time you put a big knife in the hand of a mean drunk. I can't say what I would have done due to my not seeing the whole picture and using my judgment BUT, I think that this is one of those rare cases when drawing and warning in a loud voice may have been a good thing. It would have told you REALLY fast what his intensions were...if he didn't turn and run? Shoot and don't stop until the threat is no longer a threat.
    Pray for our nations leaders!

No one wants to kill another human being but sometimes other people leave us on other choice. I would leave the area if possible and would shoot as a last resort. People do strange things while drunk that they would not normally do. If the drunk had a gun I might be more prone to shoot due to the fact that a gun has a lot longer reach.
    Last edited by Tom G; January 17th, 2009 at 10:37 PM. Reason: add

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    If the drunk had a gun I might be more prone to shoot due to the fact that a gun has a lot longer reach.
    Five feet away with a long knife is a single step. Quite literally, the situation could turn on an instant, at only five feet away. Way, waaaaay too close to be screwing around with a knife-wielding person making overt threats of violence.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links