Got a suprise this evening

This is a discussion on Got a suprise this evening within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had gotten home this evening around 5ish, done a few things in the house, and went to my room to get my laptop to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got a suprise this evening

I had gotten home this evening around 5ish, done a few things in the house, and went to my room to get my laptop to check the forum and email before going to bowling league tonight. While I was taking my laptop out of the carrying case I happened to look out my bedroom window to see a coyote standing in the back yard about ten feet from the house.

Now I live in the country about 12 miles from the closest town, so it is natural to see coyotes when your out and about, what got me startled was the fact that my nieces like to play outside alot and my bedroom is on the SW corner of the house and on the west end of the house we have two swings hanging from a large oak tree that they play on.

I have read and seen some articles on the news about coyotes getting braver around humans and even populating subarban areas. One article in particular came to mind just as I had seen the coyote, Coyote drags toddler from front yard

I grabbed my 1911 and IWB holster and put them back on along with my spare mag, but then I got to thinking that I may not be able to sneak out of the house to get a shot with my pistol, so I grab my 222 and chamber a round from the mag, and place my spare mag in my back pocket. I open the front door of the house, which is on the north side, and about half way open it squeaks, i see the coyote go troting through the front yard and headed for the pasture, I give a little whistle and he stops and turns quartering to. I pull up the rifle and sqeeze off a round and drop the coyote, as I step onto the sidewalk I see another coyote take off down my driveway. This coyote was about 30 yards from the Oak tree on the west side of the house, I drop to a knee and take aim, squeezed off a round and see a large dirt pile explode right infront of the coyote just above his head, lead him just a little too much. in the haste of trying to get a follow up shot i short stroked the bolt and gave myself a FTE and jamed my rifle. coyote number two turns north and gets away. I then see another coyote running south through the field about 40 yards beond coyote number two, my sisters house is in the background so it's a no shoot for coyote number three.

Needless to say my nieces will not be playing outside for awhile.
    Give me my guns and my right to keep and bear arms, and they can keep their change.

The coyotes here in Phoenix run in packs too, but they're all two-legged.
    I envy your ability to solve your own problem.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

batting .500 ....

Okay then, your batting .500 in the coyote league ... time to hit the batting cage and practice some more. Not bad but you can do better. wonder what was drawing their attention ... pets, food, would be interesting to know what they were after in a small pack like that.
    apache Proverb:

Better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand.

VIP Member
    Good shot on the first one. I wouldn't want a pack of coyotes around my house either. I would also be concerned about rabies, so I would have tried to drop them also.

i WOULD CALLEM IN WITH A WOUNDED RABBIT CALL THEN POP EM,THERE IS NO GOOD USE FOR A COYOTE
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Also a foxpro decoy works great for focusing their attention on something other than you.

I just had to take care of a daytime coyote at my in-laws a week and a half ago, for the same concerns that you have.

I was using a shotgun with buckshot because of the close proximity of other houses. I drew her into within 10 yds of me before she spotted me behind an apple tree. I stepped out, took aim right at her chest, and instead of BOOM I got a "click". The first round was a dud. The coyote turned and was off and a flat out run for her life. I didn't miss a beat however, and immediately racked the shotgun and tagged her twice with 00 buck on the run. Game over for the 'yote, but I was suprised that she still managed to run about another 100 yds before laying down under a tree to die.

The funny thing about it afterwards was my father in-law, who was helping but doesn't have a lot of firearm experience, never realized how fast someone can be with a pump shotgun. He commented that he realized he would never want to be on the wrong end of a fire fight with me or someone like me. I think I have got him thinking about defying his wife and taking up shooting more seriously now.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    i WOULD CALLEM IN WITH A WOUNDED RABBIT CALL THEN POP EM,THERE IS NO GOOD USE FOR A COYOTE
    Exactly!!! Perfect reason to dress in camo and play marine sniper.Coyotes are smart and will hunt pets and children as well as carry rabies. Gotta maximize every shot.

Why not let your nieces go outside and play, just go out with them and keep an eye on them. There is no reason to have an unnatural fear of the coyotes. If they realize there is a threat in the area of your home, the will avoid it. They are after all pretty crafty creatures. They will go somewhere else looking for food.

duk, I am going to disagree with you on no good use for a coyote. The serve their purpose. They eat alot of small rodents and other critters that would otherwise be quite a pain to deal with. I don't like snakes at all, but I do realize they too have their purpose in the whole scheme of things.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

If you see two in your yard, you have real reason to be concerned. They will lure pets away from the house with playful actions and then kill and eat them.The are pack hunters at times. They do serve a purpose in your yard... they become targets. The "dog" in your avatar looks like a little like a coyote. Better not let it roam around unleashed!

We have seen a few coyotes areound the Lake Stevens, WA area over the past six months. Last one I saw was running through the intersection of SR9 and Lundeen Park Way. Unfortunately, discharging a firearm of any type where I live will get you arrested.

What did you do with the dead coyote?

Coyote jerky?
    If you're going to embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.

Those who kill off the natural predators deserve to suffer the overblown population of rats, mice, possums, racoons, skunks, porcupines, etc. If there are children outside and the predators are threatening them then shoot. If the Coyotes are not causing a threat I say let them be. I have a Den in my swamp that produce a litter of pups each year. The Coyotes keep the rat population down, my cats are never bothered. There are Bear and Cougars on the back side of the property, this helps keep the trespassers for cutting through my pasture. Each animal on my land does its own thing, none get shot unless they become a threat or unless I get real hungry.

Okay then, your batting .500 in the coyote league ... time to hit the batting cage and practice some more. Not bad but you can do better. wonder what was drawing their attention ... pets, food, would be interesting to know what they were after in a small pack like that.
    Bebo, I know that I could do better but not many people pratice shooting running targets at 175 yards. not for sure what was drawing them in like that, the pets and dogfood were on the east side of the house, some times i put table scraps out the back door for them but it's located on the SE side of the house

thanks Grady, and that is exactly one of the things that i was concerned about.

dukalmighty, and SonofASniper, I do have rabbit distress calls just didn't think to grab them, thanks for the tip on the decoy

Why not let your nieces go outside and play, just go out with them and keep an eye on them. There is no reason to have an unnatural fear of the coyotes.
    farronwolf, they will still be able to go outside and play, and I will be going with them, I meant to say this but was trying to do a few different things at once and didn't get written down. as for your comment about they serve a purpose eating small rodents and other critters. coyotes are putting a real damper on the rabbits and quail in my area, and have become quite populated, about a mile west of the house their is a pack of 8 that have taken residence there.

If you see two in your yard, you have real reason to be concerned. They will lure pets away from the house with playful actions and then kill and eat them.The are pack hunters at times. They do serve a purpose in your yard... they become targets. The "dog" in your avatar looks like a little like a coyote. Better not let it roam around unleashed!
    crankshop1000, This is another concern of mine, last tuesday morning when I had gotten home from work and was walking to the house i seen my dog (the one in my avatar) come around the corner and he was covered in dried blood from his head to just in front of his hind legs, I went and took a look at him and the only wounds that he had was some scratches behind his nose which was very minor. He gotten into a fight with something and I was assuming that he came out pretty good with just a few scratches. I am suprised that you think he looks like a coyote, he is a purebreed American Bulldog who is solid white. picture is not the best after i resized and croped it. he is not leashed he does get the freedom to roam around but he stays around the house. His favorite place to be is laying on the porch right in front of the front door.

What did you do with the dead coyote?
    Hitch King, I took it to a neighbor of mine who does alot of fur trading and some taxidermi, unfortunately he said that he was unable to use the pelt, this was due to the large exit hole in the pelt at the hind quarter. quartering to me entry hole was in front shoulder and went through the entire length of the body and exited the hind quarter

Raevan, we don't have porcupines in my area and all the others that you mentioned my bulldog takes care of, I have worked with him alot and if it enters the yard it's fare game, if it's on the other side of the driveway he will just sit their and watch it.
    Give me my guns and my right to keep and bear arms, and they can keep their change.

That's a good reason to have a weapon close-not only for BG's but also protection for your nieces and yourself. I think I would keep the 45 on at all times for awhile. Does your dog tangle with them or don't they come in that close when he is out?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links