Defensive Carry banner

Most disliked jurisdictions, duty to retreat or where you can't carry?

• You dislike (most) duty to retreat jurisdictions

Votes: 14 18.4%
  • You dislike (most) jurisdictions where you can't CC or OC

Votes: 62 81.6%

Duty to retreat jurisdictions vs no CC

2K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  PatrioticRick 
#1 ·
I have traveled a few places that I could not CC. However I think I have been more troubled by states that require a duty to retreat. I think it is because I carry a firearm to defend myself (choice). However, it is simply my nature to stand my ground in many SD situations. I'm not saying I would "never retreat" but I was always troubled that I end up serving time because I did not defend myself legally.

So, how do you feel. The goal is to choose what you like the least, not carrying a fiearm, or a legal duty to retreat?

A situation develops and you must choose to travel to either a "duty to retreat" jurisdiction or a jurisdiction that either is a "no-issue" or does not allow non-resident OC / CC. What do you do?

Do you choose the Duty to retreat jurisdiction as long as you can conceal carry and / or open carry?

Do you choose the jurisdiction where you can't conceal carry but there is no duty to retreat?

PS - Anyone know where to find a list of jurisdictions that have a duty to retreat requirement?

See less See more
#2 ·
I much prefer having a duty to retreat to being denied my right to carry effective tools for self protection.

Having a duty to retreat is always (to my knowledge) dependant on being able to do so safely. If you can't do it safely, you have the right to defend yourself by whatever means necessary. If I can safely withdraw from a situation without having to fire a shot, great. I would much rather do that than find myself in a situation where I can't withdraw or fire a shot when I need to.

#3 ·
For me that’s a no brainer.

I am always going to look at options other than using my firearm. And if that means I can retreat and not have too, then that’s an easy choice.

TO shoot or not to shoot

A couple thing to keep in mind should you ever be involved in a shooting, even if your totally in the right, and have witness to swear you where justified.

The best you can hope for is your going to spend over $3500 dollars for an attorney to represent you during questioning. And second the legal system is going to rake you over the coals for a few days until they are for sure it was a justifiable shooting.

On a worse case, you’re going to spend over $25,000 for an attorney to defend you in court, for an action the district attorney feels was an unjustified shooting.

And somewhere in between the two, you may end up spending a night of two in jail, posting bail, having your name drug out in the paper and the list goes on.

AS to traveling to places that does not accept my CCL. I don’t

#4 ·
So, how do you feel. The goal is to choose what you like the least, not carrying a fiearm, or a legal duty to retreat?
Self defense and refusing to be a victim is a lifestyle, not something you strap to your hip. I will do whatever is necessary, gun or not.

Every State I have looked at allows for the use of deadly force against an imminent, serious threat to life or serious injury. If you have an imminent, serious threat to life, how are you supposed to retreat?

#5 ·
Not much to consider here. I'd rather retreat with a weapon available to me to use if needed, than to have to retreat with no weapon available.

#9 ·
If I am in a duty to retreat jurisdiction or not I will retreat anyway if at all possible. I have been "carrying" for many years and have never had to draw my weapon. I like to think my awareness and being alert has been a somewhat of a factor in not getting into a "situation" along with some luck. I also realize that no matter how alert and aware you are things could still happen, and that's why I carry. If I were to get into a bad situation with no way out I would not hesitate for one second to defend my or my family's life.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.