What to do when carjacked?

This is a discussion on What to do when carjacked? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I searched for a similar thread but didnt find one so here goes. Lets say you are minding your business in your car, lets say ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do when carjacked?

What to do when carjacked?

I searched for a similar thread but didnt find one so here goes. Lets say you are minding your business in your car, lets say eating or waiting for someone and suddenly carjacked in a parking lot of a big store, or a rest stop and the bg has already drawn on you, assuming you get out, and he turns his back to get in, would you try to draw and shoot? If so, is this considered protection of property or life? Legalities?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    How I roll...

Well, if there is no one else in the car and his intentions are to drive away with my car, I let him go and immediately call 911.

Now, I do carry a BUG on my ankle, and is likely that if I have the opportunity to draw and shoot while he is pointing at me, I would. It all depends on many factors and circumstances at the time.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

They happen so fast you're lucky to get out of the driver's door before he takes off. But yes, if he's dinking around and not paying attention to me, AND I can draw without him seeing it, he'll get plugged.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

If the bg is leaving you unharmed (albeit taking your car) and you kill him, you might be prosecuted, depending on the p.i.t.a. quotient of the local D.A. I think the safe principle is: if it's just property, let it go. OTOH, if the bg was facing you with a weapon or otherwise threatens your life, he's forfeited any consideration by you. Of course, if the obamanuts manage to britishize us, your only hope is the bg will have a stroke before he pulls the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    How I roll...

I have thought about getting one of these holsters. Now while thinking over the original question of this thread. Wouldn't this setup take away the option of just letting him take the car? Does it put you in a must fight situation?

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Tigrebleau View Post
    If the bg is leaving you unharmed (albeit taking your car) and you kill him, you might be prosecuted
    Not in Texas. If a BG has a gun and is forcing me to do anything I'm assuming he is going to hurt me. We had a attempted mugging of a lady in her car at a mall here last year (North Park for those in DFW) and the mugger thought the lady was reaching for a gun and shot her. I'll assume the same and shoot to defend myself if I am able to get one off.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by 1899 View Post
    I searched for a similar thread but didnt find one so here goes. Lets say you are minding your business in your car, lets say eating or waiting for someone and suddenly carjacked in a parking lot of a big store, or a rest stop and the bg has already drawn on you, assuming you get out, and he turns his back to get in, would you try to draw and shoot? If so, is this considered protection of property or life? Legalities?
    If i'm waiting for someone, my engine is running, and doors are locked. I could slam it in D or R, and move. Then we will see what happens. I try to remove myself from the situation.
    "Manners are good when one may have to back up his actions with his life" Robert Heinlein"

Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    How I roll...

And yes, I need to get these for my vehicles. $55 kinda high in my opinion, but will find a solution.
    "Manners are good when one may have to back up his actions with his life" Robert Heinlein"

the only problem with this holster is that if he has a gun pointed at you, are you going for the gun or are you going to get out of the car and risk your gun going with it? Also this holster defeats my question because this holster is like open carry, you lost the element of surprise, In fact you might spook the BG and he shoot you. (or he may run which is what you hope happens)

Lets say you are minding your business in your car, lets say eating or waiting for someone (I've found myself in these types of parking and waiting/eating situations, and I always try to park in an open area where I can see someone approaching if possible)

and suddenly carjacked in a parking lot of a big store, or a rest stop and the bg has already drawn on you, (if BG has already drawn, I'm doing what he says... until an opportunity to do otherwise presents itself)

assuming you get out, and he turns his back to get in, would you try to draw and shoot? (ABSOLUTELY!)

If so, is this considered protection of property or life? Legalities?
    (If BG has a gun, that's good enough for me. I'm not going to assume he's just going to peacefully drive away. Who knows what state of mind the BG may be in. He may shoot me just to avoid being identified)
    When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by banana View Post
    Lets say you are minding your business in your car, lets say eating or waiting for someone (I've found myself in these types of parking and waiting/eating situations, and I always try to park in an open area where I can see someone approaching if possible)

and suddenly carjacked in a parking lot of a big store, or a rest stop and the bg has already drawn on you, (if BG has already drawn, I'm doing what he says... until an opportunity to do otherwise presents itself)

assuming you get out, and he turns his back to get in, would you try to draw and shoot? (ABSOLUTELY!)

If so, is this considered protection of property or life? Legalities?
    (If BG has a gun, that's good enough for me. I'm not going to assume he's just going to peacefully drive away. Who knows what state of mind the BG may be in. He may shoot me just to avoid being identified)
    I agree and in addition my Baby, er, truck doesn't go anywhere without me. I may let the BG think he's going somewhere with it but it won't be far. If it came down to it, I's shoot out my own tires(250.00each, ouch) or as a last resort fire a shot through the engine block if I could, before it leaves without me. My vehicles are my other kids and I will do whatever is necessary to protect all of them.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1899 View Post
    Read what you have hi-lighted. Your going to shoot him in the back? I hope you don't like your life on the outside, because your going to spend some years behind bars with the "bubba's". There may be 1 or 2 states where you won't be charged, but in the majority, if you shoot someone in the back you are going to be charged.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Read what you have hi-lighted. Your going to shoot him in the back? I hope you don't like your life on the outside, because your going to spend some years behind bars with the "bubba's". There may be 1 or 2 states where you won't be charged, but in the majority, if you shoot someone in the back you are going to be charged.
    I didnt say what I would do. Im asking the group what they would do. And if its legal.

I would do anything I could to draw on him and shoot him dead! If you point a gun at me, I WILL DO ALL I CAN to stop the threat on me. This does not mean stupidly drawing when he obviously has the drop on me, I dare say that there would be opportunity to draw when "exiting" the vehicle. When I reach for my seatbelt would be an opportune time to draw.

I love my truck, but I will not kill to save it...I will kill to save myself or someone else.
    Pray for our nations leaders!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links