Almost drew on my Mother In-Law

This is a discussion on Almost drew on my Mother In-Law within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First off, this isn't one of those typical Mother In-Law threads. I got me a great set of In-Laws. The other night after work the ...

Thread: Almost drew on my Mother In-Law

Almost drew on my Mother In-Law

First off, this isn't one of those typical Mother In-Law threads. I got me a great set of In-Laws.

The other night after work the family and I met up half way to the In-Law's house so we could ride together (me from work and the Wife and kids already out and about).

It was about 8 PM CST and getting dark. For those of you who live in Dallas you may know the area I was going to, Abrams and I-635. It is not a very good place at all, in fact the LEOs around don't like it either.

Anyway, back on topic. We pulled up and parked one house over due to my Father In-Law owning many cars and having a typical garage full o' crap. So we are sitting for a few minutes discussing something. The houses are on the passenger's side of the van, I am in the driver's seat looking at my Wife while we are talking.

All of a sudden I see a body coming from the rear of the van to the front, from the corner of my eye. Remember, it is dark now. As soon as I see the body start to move it stops right at the Wife's window. It all happened in about a second or so, so I was already moving my hand to my gun. Then she stopped down and said "Oh, did I scare you?"

I said, "uh, yes you did." We get in and are later discussing it and my Father In-Law told his Wife "You can get shot doing that." to which I replied "Uh, yes you can."

Both In-Laws know I have a CHL and they know I carry. I guess she either didn't think about the low light or how fast she was moving, which gave me very little time to discern who she was in the dark. Or she thought it would be funny so sneak up on an armed man in the dark with his 4 kids and pregnant Wife. TO be honest, I have no clue what she was thinking.

She knows now where my hand was when she walked up, and has made mention she won't be doing that again.

Man, that would suck if...
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Man, that would suck if...
    You were removed from the family will. Sometimes its good to hesitate.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

You reacted well in my opinion as long as the rest of the movement after placing your hand on your gun were going to be under your control. You were suprised and you reacted, to a point. You didn't even get to your gun in your story, you were just moving to it. You reflexively reacted to an unknown and unexpected circumstance. If you wait too long you might as well not react at all, because it is too late. If you had drawn and presented, that would have been too far. I think you did okay.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Distinguished Member
    Know thy target

z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Time seemed to stand still for the second or so from when I first saw the "body" until I realized it was her. I had my hand on my pistol and was ready to draw. It is true what people say, it seems to go so fast but take forever to get there.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

I think you did a good job-reacted to a perceived threat and stood down when recognized as no threat. 4 with 1 on the way and your wife in the car, in a bad neighborhood(I assume?)my applause

I agree with the other posters, you reacted like any other individual would have.. especially with a pregnant wife and 4 kids with you!!!

VIP Member
    "Officer I didn't really mean to shoot my mother-in-law"........yep, try 'splaining that to the police !

Seriously though I'm glad everything worked out. Now that it's over, I like to think that incidences like that are wake-up calls and turn out to be refreshers for everyone.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Drawing on her is one thing. Shooting her is another. I would not feel bad about "almost" drawing on her. It just shows you were prepared, albeit a bit lax maybe in the situational awareness.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Paco sez...

First off, this isn't one of those typical Mother In-Law threads. I got me a great set of In-Laws.

<snip>
    Ain't it great, Paco...? My mom in law just rocks, and she luuuuuuuvvvs me.... the joke around our house is that if my hunnee ever divorces me, her Mom will be a witness on MY behalf...

Glad Mom is OK...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    TO be honest, I have no clue what she was thinking.
    You have no idea how many times I have thought that very thing with my mother in law! Now, the longer I have been married to my mother-in-laws daughter the more I realize that my wife is turning out to be JUST like my mother-in-law! Be glad you like your in laws - means your got a solid thing going for you...

Ya... it would suck if.....
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Your mom-in-law should be happy that you are looking out for her daughter and grandkids.

She's lucky that she has a good son-in-law.

Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by PointnClick View Post
    Paco sez...

Ain't it great, Paco...? My mom in law just rocks, and she luuuuuuuvvvs me.... the joke around our house is that if my hunnee ever divorces me, her Mom will be a witness on MY behalf...

Glad Mom is OK...
    We have the same Mom In Law.

Links