Could have pulled? Never even thought about it

This is a discussion on Could have pulled? Never even thought about it within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; At Walmart last night after I picked my wife up from work. As usual, when it is cold out, I pack the trunk with the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Could have pulled? Never even thought about it

Post Could have pulled? Never even thought about it

At Walmart last night after I picked my wife up from work. As usual, when it is cold out, I pack the trunk with the goods while she gets in the passenger seat and starts the car and turns the heat on.

I finish packing the trunk and look around for the closest cart bin, which of course, is about 50 yards away. I take the cart over and turn to walk back the car and I notice a young man, maybe late teens early 20s, in a long trench coat and stocking cap, walking down the lane where my car is parked. I pick up my steps in order to get back to my car quicker, which is sitting there running, with my wife in the passenger seat, doors unlocked.

The young man turns and starts walking down the aisle my car is in, so I now break into a sprint towards my car. I have my P-3AT on me, my .45 is between the front seat and console, cocked and locked. The first thing I thought was, 'this dude is going to get into my car and take it. And, he is going to have a loaded .45 to use on my wife if she couldn't get to it first!' So now I am hauling major ass. My plan was simple: meet him at the car and blast him with a 'Ray Lewis' tackle that will hopefully be enough to knock him out. I never even thought about my gun.

We meet at my car at about the same time, and the young man turns wide-eyed and looks at me like I am some kind of freak! He quickly hurried on his way to his own car which was 2 lanes across from mine in the same aisle.

I open the car door breathing heavy and my wife asks me what that was all about. I told her I thought he was going to try and jack the car. She just looked at me and shook her head, then told me for at least the 1,000,000 time that I am 'paranoid'.

So rewind-and say the young man DOES make a move for the car door. Is he armed? I have no idea. All I know is he was about 6' to 6'2" and skinny. He could have had anything in his jacket. If that would have been his intentions, would the best course have action been hitting him at full speed to create 'seperation' between him and the car, then if need be, pull my .380?

The only thing that was going through my mind was he was NOT getting in that car.
    "Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. For when you look long into the abyss, the abyss also looks into you."

Nietzsche

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Guess it all depends on what action BG is taking. Once you got close a quieter approach might be better. Once he opens the door and starts in he is fair game, B&E committed. Before that, unless you see a weapon or other indicator he has done nothing wrong.
    Lessons learned? You were good in that you were vigilant of a potential situation.
    Have the wife keep the car locked? Not everyone is a BG, out to commit crime.
    Final thought, if you get close enought o tackle, perhaps a grab and spin em around move might be better. Puts the BG off balance and keeps distance between you and them.
    MikeNice likes this.

Kat
    First, your situational awareness helped you in this situation. Maybe better "scanning" before taking the cart to the "corral" would have enabled you to avoid the situation all together. "Arm chair quarterbacking" is always easier.

If his intentions were to jack the car (or even if you just suspected it), perhaps loudly yelling "hey" or "get away from my car" would have scared him off or even provided a warning to your wife in the car, allowing her to bail out. It would also draw the attention of others nearby.

I'm not sure I'd want to get into a hand to hand with the possibility that he's armed. Distance is our friend. Your situation is complicated by the fact that you need to create distance between the BG and your wife at the same time.

You and your wife are safe, that's the most important. In addition, we're all able to benefit from contemplating "what would we do".
    Luke 22:36 And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one."

I think you did great! Because if you had not reacted to the situation, thinking potential problem but probably not! it most likely would have been what you were thinking it could be all along and you would be kicking yourself for not getting to the car sooner.

As for the Ray Lewis block, I think it would have fit into the situation you described as well as whatever else needs to be done to solve the problem and your goal of him not getting into the car. Different situations require different tactics, that's why it is good that we debate things like this.

I don't at all think you were paranoid, I think you were vigilante and determined and you did what you are supposed to do! Protect your family!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! there would have been no way of knowing what was about to happen and you were not going to stand there to wait and see if things were going to go bad.

Did you prevent something from happening? Maybe not.

Did you prevent something from happening? Maybe so.

Did you not stand around to find out? No you didn't.

I think you did the right thing!

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Thanks for the replys!

Thinking more on this, I have thought of a couple things that I could do to prevent this kind of stuff. Pretty simple: doors should have been locked. When she got in, she should have hit the lock button on the doors before she ever even started the car up. Such a simple thing to do, but something that would prevent easy entry into the car without making a scene. I never think to tell her to lock the doors, and she is not security minded at all, so she doesnt either.

I didn't really think in the situation about all my options at the time. I just saw a potential threat and reacted. Like I said, I didn't even think about the .380 on me, just about the loaded .45 that the guy would access too if he made entry into the car. My mind just shouted 1 thing at me and that was: seperation between him and the car where my wife was sitting.

It most likely would have been a bad idea to engage him hand to hand. He could have had any number of weapons. However, I was coming from behind him at full tilt and would have hit him at an angle had he reached for the door handle. With the normal noise of a Walmart parking lot, I think it would have been a surprise hit that hopefully would have been enough to send him ass-over-heals onto the hard paved surface. This would have created the seperation and allowed me to engage with a weapon if needed. Also, the blow may have knocked any weapons he had free.

Come to think of it, the guy probably shiat his pants! I guess I am lucky he wasn't carrying himself-he may have seen me running at him and feared for his life, thus pulling his gun.

The positives are, everybody went home. I was fully prepared to gut this guy though. Scary how you don't feel like a violent or explosive person until you fear your family is in trouble. I am not sure what I would do to someone who hurt my wife or kids.

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. For when you look long into the abyss, the abyss also looks into you."

Nietzsche

Assistant Administrator
    Indeed - any perceived threat to family really gets the adrenaline going!

Great you were aware - that was probably #1 good result - you then took action ''in case'' which at least got you into the perceived ''threat zone'' tho perhaps closing to too small a distance not always ideal - here, well you had a plan.

Your best thought to come out of this was the door lock aspect - a good habit and in fact one maybe we should all remember in similar situations.

Judging by your pic - the other guy did quite possibly have ''laundry issues''
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Listing to your gut feeling. If you think some thing is wrong take action, but think it through as best you can on the fly. Every time I have not listen to my gut I have gotten burned. Luckily nothing serous.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    Somewhere there is a post on another forum.

Last night I was leaving Wal-mart when I realized that I was in the wrong row. All of a sudden this big sary looking guy started shasing me...

J/k Good Job Kel-tec.

My wife picks on me over the lock thing. It is such a habit, that I have been known to lock the door behind me while packing in groceries. I never reaize I have done it until my wife, who was a few seconds behind me, starts banging on the door. LOL!
    Lee 1973 and oldnfat like this.

Good job ! Heres a reminder... ALWAYS lock your car.
    When I go to wally-world and my mom doesn't wanna go in.
    I'll ask if she wants the truck running or not (depending on weather), but I ALWAYS lock it...

I always lock my vehicles when I leave them, even in my own driveway and I live in the sticks! However, never think to lock them when she is in there. I guess because when I do, I get the lecture about being a paranoid freak. I also keep my house doors locked at all times.

I also keep the doors locked when I am driving. Too many horror stories of car jackings at red lights I guess. The vehicles I own now lock automatically as soon as the car is placed in drive.

Thanks for the responses!

Nietzsche

Thanks for the reminder. I did a big no-no last night. My GF and I just left the movies. We wanted coffee so I stopped at Starbucks. Well, she just light a cig and didn't want to put it out. So, I left her in the Jeep, motor running to keep her warm and I got coffee. Now, the Starbucks is in a pertty safe neighborhood, but still.
    Looks like I need to wait until she finishes or lock the jeep.

Again, thanks for the reminder
    Dave

“The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms”. General George Patton—US Army

Vis et Veneratio

"So this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause." Actress Natalie Portman as Padme in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

Mrt
    Tonight I almost pulled. We just made a quick run to Wal-Mart there's a zone to let passengers out my wife opens her door and this fool drives down the side of my truck and if I hadn't seen him coming she would be dead , well I watched him park and walk towards us he started getting smart mouthed, I told him he almost killed her he bowed up and I had my hand on it ready I told him back off he seen my hand I guess he figure it out and went in the store .wow some times I wonder what the hell is going on with some people.

You do realize that you are responding to a thread that's been dormant for one week short of eight years?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrt View Post
    I guess he figure it out and went in the store .wow some times I wonder what the hell is going on with some people.
    Yup, me too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by glock21guy View Post
    Listen to your gut feeling. If you think some thing is wrong take action, but think it through as best you can on the fly. Every time I have not listen to my gut I have gotten burned. Luckily nothing serous.
    I wasn't there. Before I got arthritis I usually took carts back. It's different now. Sometimes I barely make it to my truck before the pain kicks in. I got no problem leaving my cart by my truck and getting home.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

John 3:16 Gettin' Old ain't for Sissies.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links