Convenience store.

This is a discussion on Convenience store. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was thinking about this the other night after I was in a local convenience store and thought "what if". What would you do if ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Convenience store.

Convenience store.

I was thinking about this the other night after I was in a local convenience store and thought "what if".

What would you do if your in a store at night or anytime when someone is attempting to rob it with either a knife or a gun or says they have a weapon and acts like they have it, but don't display it. you are out of his view, but he knows you or another person is in the store... you could possibly stop him since he has already threatened to harm the clerk if he or she doesn't comply. Would you get involved?

2. Remove Ads

If it isnt displayed, but you clearly hear him state that he does - then you have no reason to believe otherwise..

Since the life of someone in my immediate presence is in danger or greater bodily injury or even death I would:

DRAW, and ask him to get on the ground and slowly take his hands out of his pockets and place them on the back of his head and interlock his fingers.

Knowing full well I'll get flamed for this:

Let the BG take whatever he wants and don't annoy him. It's unlikely that he will do bodily harm unless you give him a reason. A few cartons of cigarettes and a fistful of cash are not worth dying over. Besides, you'd be protecting the insurance company's and the store owner's assets; would they do the same for you?

If the perpetrator doesn't comply with your instructions to "get on the ground," are you prepared to shoot him? If not, don't draw your weapon. If the robbery turns into an immediate, bonafide life threatening situation, that is a whole other scenario. Shoot to stop.

Bottom line: It's a lose-lose situation. Just ask Bernhard Getz, the "subway vigilante" who shot in self defense. It turned his life upside down indelibly.

You have a lot of valid points Rider! But you would also be protecting the store clerk, not just the assets.. If it were just assets, I wouldnt worry, but it is an individual so I would step up.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dane View Post
    I was thinking about this the other night after I was in a local convenience store and thought "what if".

What would you do if your in a store at night or anytime when someone is attempting to rob it with either a knife or a gun or says they have a weapon and acts like they have it, but don't display it. you are out of his view, but he knows you or another person is in the store... you could possibly stop him since he has already threatened to harm the clerk if he or she doesn't comply. Would you get involved?

No...not unless my life was threatened.

Rick

99% of the time this happens, the incident ends with noting more than the threat of violence in an effort to intimidate. Be a good witness unless you or your loved ones are in immediate danger. Personally, if I can do it without being made, I may get my 1911 at low ready, bt if he sees it, this could escalate the issue as well. One thing that must be remembered, is the primary purpose of CCW is SELFdefense, key word being self. Public safety is the job of LEO. This can be argued, but you have to think of yourself, your assets, and your family.

IMO, if you order BG to the ground, you are in effect placing him under arrest (citizens). If you are not LEO, make damn sure you know the law where you live concerning this, because you will end up in civil court. Liable or not, lawyers are not cheap.

Just my $.02
    Roger

Armed robbery is a felony = allowed to place under arrest. If he says he has a gun, even if to just intimidate, then you have to believe he has a gun..

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SleazyRider View Post
    ......Just ask Bernhard Getz, the "subway vigilante" who shot in self defense. It turned his life upside down indelibly.
    What messed up Bernie was the line..'You don't look too bad, here's another'.... I think if he should of shut up and just shot. As is, he got away with just a conviction on the illegal gun charge....he had tried applying for a legal permit but- SURPRISE -was denied....
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Acecool View Post
    Armed robbery is a felony = allowed to place under arrest. If he says he has a gun, even if to just intimidate, then you have to believe he has a gun..
    I think you will open up a huge can of worms if one tries to play LEO...self defense...no argument. But to place someone under arrest...movie make believe.

Rick

Everyone has a pretty good point! thanks for the responses

Our instructor in SC said we HAD to do something if we saw a felony in progress...

Quote Originally Posted by Acecool View Post
    Our instructor in SC said we HAD to do something if we saw a felony in progress...
    Uh...call 911. Lots of instructors here...curious if they would recommend a citizen's arrest.

Rick

Robbery, He says "I have a gun". At first opportunity draw and fire. He is commiting a felony and threatened your life. Do not detain. Call for police and EMT.

Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    I think you will open up a huge can of worms if one tries to play LEO...self defense...no argument. But to place someone under arrest...movie make believe.

Rick
    Wow glad I don't live in OK anymore. Movie make believe really??? Cuz down here in a real state citizen's arrests happen more times than most people would believe. It is totally legal, but perhaps dangerous in certain situations.
    The American flag does not fly because the wind moves past it-The American flag flies from the last breath of each military member who has died protecting it, American soldiers don't fight because they hate what's in front of them...they fight because they love what's behind them."

Quote Originally Posted by k6gixx View Post
    Wow glad I don't live in OK anymore. Movie make believe really??? Cuz down here in a real state citizen's arrests happen more times than most people would believe. It is totally legal, but perhaps dangerous in certain situations.
    Hummm...you have some data to back that up?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by BkCo1 View Post
    Robbery, He says "I have a gun". At first opportunity draw and fire. He is commiting a felony and threatened your life. Do not detain. Call for police and EMT.

Semper Fi
    Video may doom you under this scenario...

Rick

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links