What Should You do if You Get Caught in a Bank Robbery?

This is a discussion on What Should You do if You Get Caught in a Bank Robbery? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Lay low, without a doubt. I was in a bank robbery one time, and it was not typical. There were three armed men who stormed ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What Should You do if You Get Caught in a Bank Robbery?

Lay low, without a doubt. I was in a bank robbery one time, and it was not typical. There were three armed men who stormed the branch and ordered everyone to the floor. We were all hearded, crawling on hands and knees, into a small back room by one individual while the other 2 tore apart the teller drawers. Some of the older customers were kicked and pushed because they crawled too slow, but were not injured. The robbers themselves tripped the alarms before they left.

In the end, no one was injured and the robbers escaped about 1 minute prior to arrival of LE. I did not carry at the time, and it would not have made a difference, based on that incident and how it played out. As I mentioned in another thread, as a large male one of the robbers kept a gun to my forehead all the way to the back room.

Thoung the media sensationalizes bak robberies, the vsat majority go off without anyone being harmed. There are exceptions, but the odds are no one will be harmed. So doa as you are instructed, keep your CC secured and let the BG go.

2. Remove Ads

As most said, I would comply until a life is in immidiate danger. Then it is time to react.

Become invisible.

Michael

Banks

Most if not all of the banks around where I live have those stupid signs on the door that would make this a mute point anyway. I once ask a banker friend of mine if bank robbers obey signs - he laughed and saidn "not the two I was working in!"

Maybe "Gun Free Zone" really means "Free (fire) Gun Zone"
    NRA Certified Instructor, MADFI Certified Instructor
    Vietnam Veteran, NRA Life Member
    XD 9 MM, 9 MM SC, 9 MM Tactical, XDM 9MM, XDM 40,
    XDM 40 Limited, XDM 5.25 Canyon Creek Custom 9 mm

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Most of the bank robberies in my area are quick and quiet, half of the bank patrons don't even realize what happened until it's over.
    Keep quiet, stay alive and be a good witness.
    Most bank robbers around here want the quick grab and go type of withdrawl and try not to be noticed by making everyone in the bank aware of what it going on. I would think that this is probably typical in other areas as well. The longer a BG spends doing his job the greater his risk of getting caught becomes.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Quote Originally Posted by Whtbflo View Post
    I was watching Forensic Files the other day and they were showing an episode where a string of bank robberies were happening somewhere around So. Carolina(I think). I got to thinking that I do some banking probably four or five times a week. What should I do if I'm at a bank when an armed robbery occurs?
    I always do my banking with a human teller.

There is always the chance that there could be another robber incognito in the form of a bank customer. Sticky situation.
    One more step and it's on!

I worked in a branch for the last five years...until getting laid off. As an employee, we were barred from having weapons on work premises (thankfully FL prevailed and I could have it in my vehicle). As most have already stated, every situation is different, but the goal would be to not be noticed and let them get out quickly. Most bank security systems have a microphone and they are tripped with certain key words...sometimes accidentally by a joking customer (saw it happen). When they are tripped the video screens at the alarm company light up and they assess the situation....so unless you are absolutely sure of being in the right and that it is your last option I wouldn't pull it out. Your every move you make is on film at that point and you don't want a dead teller's family suing you for causing their death. 99% of the time the bad guys want out quickly.

++ what chiboxer said. If I may espouse the wisdom from two movies appropriate for this topic;

One of my favorite movies, Serenity (2005)

ZoŽ: Do you know what the definition of a hero is? Someone who gets other people killed. You can look it up later.

Good movie with realistic bank robbery scenes. Point Break (1991)

Jan

Smile I agree

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I would be as inconspicuous as possible. Since you are normally talking a minimum of 2 robbers involved in a bank robbery it doesn't make much sense to try and play hero and stop it, besides the bank is insured, let them have the money and be a good LIVE witness. If it escalates to where they start shooting people, then I would draw and hope for the best.
    I'm in line with this way to handle it. Keep low, get down when they say get down. If someone's about to die, then pull.

May I suggest we all go to the range and practice scenarios like this.

What happens when there is more than one assailant and they are armed?

Do nothing, stay out of the way, stay inconspicuous. Unlike what we see on TV dramas I believe most bank robberies happen in a low profile way. They take the money and run. Its only money and the money is not worth anyone getting shot over.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

If I was caught in a bank robbery I guess I'd put my hands up and plead the fifth....lol !

I won't go inside the banks, because most are posted ......

Waiting and hoping to be spared?

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I would be as inconspicuous as possible. Since you are normally talking a minimum of 2 robbers involved in a bank robbery it doesn't make much sense to try and play hero and stop it, besides the bank is insured, let them have the money and be a good LIVE witness. If it escalates to where they start shooting people, then I would draw and hope for the best.
    What if you were the FIRST one they were going to shoot? Actually, there was one case of a place that got robbed, and someone who had a CCW was SHOT DEAD AFTER they robbed him of his gun and wallet? Why do you think this happened? He was disarmed and no threat to the street trash and they killed him.

Go to liveleak.com and look up some of those robbery videos and you will see a few of them showing robbers shooting clerks etc after they gave up money etc.

If I were in such a situation, I would NOT be waiting until they shoot someone, especially if it were me facing the wrong end of the barrel... and hoping that they simply go after the robbery could leave a possible small window to react TOTAL GONE never to return... How much time does one really have in such a case where the worst could happen in a seconds?

Did you forget about the 5 women who were hog tied and shot dead execution style back a year ago in a SHOE STORE in IL?
    Police Hunt Gunman Who Killed Five Women Inside a Clothing Store | Firstcoastnews.com | News

They still have not found the guy and the last woman who was a "good witness" died in hospital!

No my friend, I will not be hoping they spare me or anyone else, I would be expecting the WORST.
    Last edited by CR2008; March 4th, 2009 at 10:56 AM.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    So far, the answers apply to very black and white situations.

But what happens if the bank robbers tell everyone to lay face down on the floor?

Then they start searching everyone for money, etc?

Then they find your gun?

At this point, you are relying totally on their mercy not to kill you.

This has happened before... it's does not even have to be a bank, it could be just about any where such as a parking lot, at home or at a 7/11
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Quote Originally Posted by CR2008 View Post
    This has happened before... it's does not even have to be a bank, it could be just about any where such as a parking lot, at home or at a 7/11
    Yep. ^^

It occurs all over the place and to off duty cops who happen to be in the right place at the wrong time, and not just with guns but being armed with pocket knives too.

A bit of recent news in my state that I'd noted just last night relevant to this same thread subject...

Massachusetts Among Highest Bank Robbery Rates Nationally

Posted: Feb 25, 2009 12:39 PM

By Marci Izard

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (abc40) -- The Federal Bureau of Investigations reports: Massachusetts had 299 bank robbery attempts in 2008. Only six states had more: California, Texas, Florida, New York, Illinois and Pennsylvania.

It is a crime that is glamorized in the movies, but Springfield Police Sergeant John Delany says it is very different in real life.

"Bank robberies are mostly drug dependent people ... And it's usually done very quickly, without a plan," said Delaney. "Some people in the bank doing their business don't even know a bank robbery happened until the police show up."

Of the nearly 300 bank robbery attempts in Massachusetts last year, most were in the eastern half of the state.

Source - Massachusetts Among Highest Bank Robbery Rates Nationally
    I can believe it too.
    I live in Western MA and in the past 3 yrs. I've been here there have been ~ 20 bank robberies with four of those being in towns that I regularly am amongst any given day or week, and two of the robberies being at banks in the town I live in with one being at the bank across the street from where my mother in law works...which is where my wife takes the kids like twice a week to visit her when they are out and about in town.

Before moving here I'd hear of a bank robbery maybe once or twice a _year_, maybe.
    Here though one comes up seemingly every month or so and has been over the past 3 yrs. I've been here. It's crazy!

I personally very rarely step foot in a bank as I just have no need to do so. I drop off personal and commercial deposits at the drive through with seconds long in and out servicing. The rest of my banking I do online from the comfort and safety of my own home. I have zero interest in standing in line schmoozing with bank tellers, which my career teller mother in law says is the primary 'service' she and other bank tellers provided the community. A source of town gossip.

- Janq is not willing to get shot or die over FDIC insured colored paper
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links