Grabbed the AR-15 tonight. Could very easily be dead or in jail.

This is a discussion on Grabbed the AR-15 tonight. Could very easily be dead or in jail. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It happened at about 2:30 this morning. I was asleep in my bedroom in the basement. My parents and siblings were asleep upstairs. My father ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Grabbed the AR-15 tonight. Could very easily be dead or in jail.

It happened at about 2:30 this morning. I was asleep in my bedroom in the basement. My parents and siblings were asleep upstairs. My father is ill and usually sleeps in his chair in the living room.

I woke up to the sound of our two dogs barking very loudly. I could tell something was wrong because they rarely ever bark unless a stranger is at our door. So I got out of bed and grabbed my AR out of my safe (it was the only gun with a light, my handheld flashlight was out of batteries )

So I chambered a round and then left my room to go upstairs and see what was wrong. As I approached the stairs I heard footsteps on the floor above me. Now this may sound funny but after living in a basement for a couple years I know what my family sounds like and I could tell that this person did not belong in my house. So I crouched down and started listening. The footsteps began heading toward the entrance to the basement. I took up a defensive position and waited. I heard the footsteps begin to descend the stairs and I saw the flood of a flashlight.

I waited until the figure descended the stairs and turned the corner. Then I turned on the flashlight and yelled for him to STOP.

And that's when I noticed the gold reflection of light coming off the right side of his chest. It was a cop. I recognized him so I knew he was legit too. As soon as I said STOP he yelled <Insert City> Police

So I turned the light off and set the gun on the ground and stood up. with my hands out.

He drew his weapon and told me to turn around and place my hands on the back of my head. I did. He did not cuff me however. After I turned around he told me I could turn back around and put my hands down. I think he was looking for another weapon and seeing how I was only wearing boxers he could tell pretty easy. He asked me who I was and I told him that I lived here. He made me go upstairs so that my family could ID me.

Apparently prior to the arrival of the police my dad thought that he heard voices in our garage. So he called 911. when the police arrived they searched the perimeter and went into the basement to see if anyone had gotten inside.

Unfortunately however my dad failed to mention to dispatch or the officers that his son was in the basement and had access to firearms.

The officer and I had a pretty good scolding for my father.

The police left and it was never determined whether or not someone had been in our garage.

I have tried to create an Emergency Action Plan with my family before but none of them took it seriously. They all think that we live in a good neighborhood where nothing bad will ever happen.

Maybe now they will listen. My father is quite old and doesn't always think things through. But this could have ended very badly for me tonight. I could very easily be dead or in jail.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    You and the Officer are very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very,LUCKY!
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Not being aware of what was going on, I think you did exactly like you should have. Glad everything worked out o.k. and maybe now you and your family can sit down together and work out some kind of plan for such situations.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Yikes!!

Dude, I would very seriously have a talk - today, tonight - right away. Your family needs a plan.

Whew - that was close!
    Trying to leave as large a carbon footprint as possible.
    Shivering in the "heat"
    Innocent as doves, wise as serpents, armed like wolves.

Wow, Glad the officer was'nt clearing with his pistol...Wow.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

whew. That's scary. It sounds like you both (you and the officer) had level heads and both handled the situation perfectly. This story deserves another Wow!
    --never fight with an idiot, for he'll bring you down to his level and beat you by experience.--

"Stupid is forever. You can't change stupidity." - Temple's Basketball Coach John Chaney to the home crowd

Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post
    Now this may sound funny but after living in a basement for a couple years I know what my family sounds like and I could tell that this person did not belong in my house.
    Totally believable. My work area and desk are in the basement, and I can tell who is in what room by the sounds.

Good thing you had a light.

Hope your family will listen to you now.

VIP Member
    Sorry to hear about your father. My very elderly father actually has hallucinations sometime, and they are so vivid to him that he swears they really happened. Scary stuff, and after the first hallucination we made sure that he did not have access to any firearms. Sad choice to make, but necessary in his case.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Maybe you need to move upstairs!!! Man that was close, glad the cop didn't over react, could have ended really bad. Maybe now you're family will listen to you. Installing a intercom from your dad's chair to the basement would be a good idea. If he hears something have him call you first!! Glad you are ok.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Despite the fact that things didnt go well with communication between your dad and the police, you did very well. You reacted to sounds you knew were not right, armed yourself not only with a firearm but a light. You saw a person on the stairs and used your light to identify first - not shoot first - and responded accordingly. Overall I say you did very well.

Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    You and the Officer are very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very,LUCKY!
    Very.

Kudos to the professionalism of the LEO. You both had thought hard about scenarios and trained to handle them. You both adhered to the principle of identifying your target, first. You both played it smoothly, until it was obvious things weren't as they seemed, at which point you both changed direction effectively. I'm thinking how easily his buddies could have been backing him up in a way that things couldn't be stopped as quickly as they did. You could have had a whole new hairdo, had it been otherwise.

Can't say that I'd do as well in the exact same circumstance.

Caution on believing a flash of "gold" and a one-word response of "Police" means it's certainly a legitimate LEO. Witness the false-flag invasions in Florida and other places, the past couple of years, in which criminals don uniform-like suits to get past exactly such situations as this.

To avoid these risks, would it have been safer, particularly with family throughout the house and multiple "perps" on the prowl, to have gathered the family to the "safe" room and gotten back on the phone with police? At least, the failure to inform you of the call to cavalry would have come out, and at least you'd be on the phone notifying them that you were ensconced with an AR-15 aimed down the hallway.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Sounds like the situation was well handled by both you and the LEO. I also agree both you and the LEO were extremely lucky things didn't get nasty.

To avoid these risks, would it have been safer, particularly with family throughout the house and multiple "perps" on the prowl, to have gathered the family to the "safe" room and gotten back on the phone with police? At least, the failure to inform you of the call to cavalry would have come out, and at least you'd be on the phone notifying them that you were ensconced with an AR-15 aimed down the hallway.
    I agree this would have been the best way for it to have gone down, the original post indicated there was no time for this to happen. LEO were already on scene by the time the dogs woke him and he was on his way to investigate.

Installing a intercom from your dad's chair to the basement would be a good idea.
    Another good suggestion. Actually my cordless phones have an intercom function on them. You can call on handset or all at one time. No phone line needed for the intercom function to work, just power to the base unit.

Now this may sound funny but after living in a basement for a couple years I know what my family sounds like and I could tell that this person did not belong in my house.
    Not unusual at all. I have 4 cats, they all wear collars with bells on them. I have learned to tell which cat is approaching by the sound of their bell. Your ear and brain becomes attuned to certain sounds and if something new or different comes about it warns you.

BAC
    Remember this story when anyone tells you they don't need a white light for home defense.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

VIP Member
    WOW!!! It was everyone's lucky day.

Caution on believing a flash of "gold" and a one-word response of "Police" means it's certainly a legitimate LEO. Witness the false-flag invasions in Florida and other places, the past couple of years, in which criminals don uniform-like suits to get past exactly such situations as this.
    Thats what I was thinking at first but I recognized him from pulling me over a while back so I knew he was for real.

I don't know what I would've done had I not recognized him. I probably would have complied the same however. The fake cop thing is a pretty good tool for a criminal to use.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links