Have you ever drawn your gun in defense and not fired it?

This is a discussion on Have you ever drawn your gun in defense and not fired it? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yes. The two men left the scene after seeing my Glock 19, (it was not pointed at them, only made visible to them) nothing further ...

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Have you ever drawn your gun in defense and not fired it?

Yes. The two men left the scene after seeing my Glock 19, (it was not pointed at them, only made visible to them) nothing further happened. I still reported the incident to the authorities just in case they had called in to complain that I was threatening them with a gun.
    God bless our troops!

2. Remove Ads

Out numbered twice. They ran away. . Very Quickly. .
    Somewhere in the Pacific NW

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    Good endings to many situations mentioned here - but - Ted Nugent would say one thing common in several posts wrong - should have held them (the one's who backed off / got away) for the Police - to keep them from assaulting the next guy \ girl who isn't packing.
    Won't work. . Couple of points:

a) You put yourself at greater risk while holding someone at gunpoint.

b) How do you legally stop someone from running away?
    Somewhere in the Pacific NW

Quote Originally Posted by bcvojak View Post
    Won't work. . Couple of points:

a) You put yourself at greater risk while holding someone at gunpoint.

Not only that, but it also creates a police report with your name and address on it which could be accessed by the bad guys you just stopped.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailorcbr View Post
    Not only that, but it also creates a police report with your name and address on it which could be accessed by the bad guys you just stopped.
    not necessarily, this info can be suppressed so all the info on the police report won't be available

I've drawn my weapons several times

a few times as CHL, threat left or wasn't what I originally thought it was (thankfully)

as LEO, drawn lots of times, thankfully so far nobody has forced my hand
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

No , came close once but was able to think my way out of it.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Never a concealed carry, but one night when we first lived in Florida I heard noises at about 2:00 am. I got up and noticed through the kitchen window someone trying to get in through the front door. I don't know whether he was a thief or a drunk, but when I retrieved a S & W K-22 ( all I owned at the time ) and looked thru the window again, I was met with his face. He took one look at my pee wee 22 and set a new 100 yard dash record. I immediately called the police, as usual he was gone and they couldn't find him. Most cops do a fine job however unless there was one stationed at my door that night at 2:00 am no use.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uechi View Post
    Most cops do a fine job however unless there was one stationed at my door that night at 2:00 am no use.
    very true, I now see things from the other side, we get to respond to people's home or business alarms after the fact, and it doesn't matter what national or local brand of alarm monitoring is used ; and we have to explain to folks that unless we happen to be rolling up on something we merely react to things, can't be everywhere all the time
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    not necessarily, this info can be suppressed so all the info on the police report won't be available
    That is really good to know! Hopefully I won't ever have to cross that bridge.

Thank God I've never had to draw. When I draw it will be for one reason only - fear for my life. If I draw, I will give my assailant 1 split second to show me that my life is not threatened (like raising the hands). That's it.

Not really, but acted like it.

Once, in a road rage situation at a stop light, back in the 80s / early 90s, I had "The Club" behind my passangers seat. I put my coat over it, and acted like it was a gun. I told my wife to pretend she was calling someone on her cell phone (I did not have one). The guy rethought the situation, and went back into his car.

Maybe I was stupid. I was young, unarmed, and scared.

I was dating my wife at the time. She was in the car with me. The guy was just way to aggressive, and we had done nothing wrong. Could have been an attempted robbery or something I did not fully understand. Because of how the guy was acting, the only aggressive thing I had done was make sure I was in a lane with no one in front of me (so I could take off).

Guy went back into the car, drove on the shoulder (a car between us), and ran a red light.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Once, very long story though.
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

Yes...

I worked the nightshift, drove home and went to sleep. As with most households, my family members are off to work or school by 9am and I was used to going to bed while everyone else was leaving.

Well, 3 BGs broke into the house during late morning hours. I had been asleep for about 3 hours and awoke to a language that wasn't english, sounded like they were in a hurry and could hear a humming sound coming from the garage. My bedroom door was locked. I made a habit of locking it, since my brother once thought it was funny to stop by and throw an M-80 firecracker into my bedroom while I was sleeping.

Since I was sleeping... well... I was utilizing the minimum apparel required for that activity. I knew something was awry, so I grabbed my PT92, put my pants on, but then stood for a moment in the room wondering if this was real. If something was really happening. I hadn't seen anything, but hearing spanish seemed odd. I called 911, gave critical info, then left the room. I saw the door from the house to the garage slam closed and checked the nearby bedrooms for family or BGs.

The humming in the garage was the BGs car they had left running while loading stuff from the house. The humming got louder and then I realized they were taking off. Did they hear me open the closet doors so I could get my gun? I ran out the front door of the house and saw 3 BGs in a small car speeding out of the driveway. I pointed the 9mm at them as they left, but did not fire.

I had no problem shooting them, however they weren't engaging me since they were fleeing the scene and if I was to miss, the bullets would have continued on to the houses across the street, potentially hurting someone unintentionally.

The LEOs arrived. They asked why I didn't shoot and I told them the same. They approved of my answer and said I did the right thing. Nobody was ever caught and none of the stolen items ever recovered. Insurance did cover stolen items minus the deductible.

So, that's what happened to me.

Yes.....because he dropped the baseball bat he had raised after threatning me and my girlfriend with it.

The police told me I did good NOT shooting and protecting my GF and myself.
    I'm just happy he dropped the bat.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by bcvojak View Post
    If they're a felon:

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links