Have you ever drawn your gun in defense and not fired it?

This is a discussion on Have you ever drawn your gun in defense and not fired it? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Never drew the weapon, but pulled my jacket back to let a group know that I was not going to be an easy target....

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Have you ever drawn your gun in defense and not fired it?

Never drew the weapon, but pulled my jacket back to let a group know that I was not going to be an easy target.
    Keep your powder dry

2. Remove Ads

To be brief, years ago I worked as an armed security guard here in Las Vegas. Thankfully, I never had to draw my .38 from it's holster.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Senior Moderator
    Yep!
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by mtnclimber View Post
    Yes, about 20 years ago I had just changed jobs and moved to a new city. I was living in an apartment temporarily, but was in a good part of town. I had just come home from the grocery store and had put everything away. I heard my door knob jiggle and looked out through the peephole. There was this big skinhead with tattoos that was dancing in the hallway. I thought it might be someone visiting the punk rock college students across the hall. But, he gave me the creeps so I went to my bedroom nightstand and got my Charter Arms 44spl in a gun rug from my night stand. As I returned to the livingroom the front door was busted in and this creep was charging me with his arms out like he will grab my neck. It seemed to take forever, but I got the zipper undone and brought the gun up and almost full trigger pull aimed between his eyes when he saw the gun and ran. I called the police and they said that if they had to file a report they would have to confiscate all guns at the scene. They suggested I could decline to file a report and keep my guns (which I did). Stupid, stupid Melbourne, FL police department...who are they protecting??? I had to pay for door repairs since there was no police report. When do the police guns get confiscated for being at a crime scene???? I live in Colorado now so come and try your confiscation MELBOLURNE, FL police department!!!
    MAKE MY DAY LAW!!!!! Go Colorado
    "When the people fear their Government there is Tyranny; When the Government fears its people there is Liberty"

In 1993, as a young LCpl in the Marine Corps, stationed at Camp Hansen, Okinawa, I was a part of the Camp Guard there as a quota from my unit. Being the NFG, well, I was sacrificed lol...so off I go to Camp Guard duty for 8 months.

1st Bn, 1st Marine's was there on UDP (Unit Deployment Program) and they had the primary obligation to staff the billets. These guys were ALL Marine Infantry guys, some of the Cpl's and Sgt's Gulf War Veterans.

As part of position, you had to be qualified in a number of things such as qualification with the Baretta M9 9mm, police baton, advanced hand-to-hand combat techniques, and the definition of deadly force and the implications contained. Read: I got beaten like a seal for a month gaining the qualifications to stand post.

At this time, before the rape of the young girl at a local beach area, the relations between us and the Okinawan's was pretty good. Usually, the biggest infraction was drunk Marine's, fights, or getting underage girls on base. Not a biggie. Most of the young Marine's didn't have personal vehicles, as it's expensive and with the "Y" license plates, makes you a target to be exploited by the Okinawan's.

At gate one, adjacant to Kin Cho (Kin Village), was the portal to all the bars/nightclubs/eateries available. Basically, if you were at the pedestrian side gate, you had to verify that they had their ID's etc. and were in proper civilian attire, not unduly incapacitated, or fleeing the Japanese Police coming into the base.

One night, a car came in the gate around 0200 or so...I walked out to do a ID check and smell for alcohol, and got a very strong scent or alcohol. This Marine was a LCpl, and I had him shut down his vehicle and get out of the car to come inside the "shack" to call PMO so they could do their thing.

Inside the hut, the Marine was anxious at the thought of what would happen to him. Like a complete IDIOT I turned my back on him to use the phone....when I turned to see what he was doing, he was reaching down to his lifter pants-leg to grab a diving knife. I immediately put as much distance between me and the Marine as possing, while pulling my 9mm out and leveling at his chest. I still remember this screwed up, evil laugh he made towards me...ultimately he figured that I would pull the trigger if he came at me and would probably be fatal. I ordered him to drop the knife, kick it in my direction, and get face-down on the deck awaiting the MP's at gunpoint.

PMO pretty much tore me down, rightfully so, in putting myself in danger with him. I was pretty shaken up...knowing that I almost had to injure/kill one of my own in the performance of my duties. In hindsight, I learned a very valuable lesson that I will not forget. I no longer believe in the benevolence of man...just lucky that I didn't have to pull the trigger even though I would have been vindicated by the video inside and outside.

Those of you that have ran into these situations, do you believe you did't pull the trigger due to training? or because you were scared too?

Come on let's be honest.

I think if i were in some of the situations you guys have been in, I would have probably pulled the trigger..

Just read my story and you will know why.

I refuse to be a victim again.
    Read my story.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ed-1994-a.html

Pictures in page 5 & 6

Yes. More than one time. Even had to retrieve a shotgun once.

Quote Originally Posted by TRICKORMATE View Post
    Those of you that have ran into these situations, do you believe you did't pull the trigger due to training? or because you were scared too?

Come on let's be honest.

I think if i were in some of the situations you guys have been in, I would have probably pulled the trigger..

I have no formal training other than handling firearms since gradeschool. I did not pull the trigger because after pulling it the threat went away.

This may sound strange but while it was happening I was very clear headed about what needed to be done. I was seeing everything around me clearly. The actual fear didn't really set in until after it was over.

Michael

A few months back I was at home with my "baby momma" and my newly born daughter. It was 11:30 at night, we were in bed, and all of a sudden I heard a LOUD thump in the front door and someone ringing the doorbell. Instinct kicked in, gave the cell phone to "baby momma" and I rolled out of bed, grabbed my surefire and my .357 mag and made my way to see what was going on. I stood there, weapon ready....and yelled "Who is it". It was my drunk neighbor looking for a ride to the store. FALSE ALARM. Obviosly HE wasnt thinking clearly.

Now....why cant I get out of bed that fast and be SO alert during the week when I am getting ready for work?!

Oh and "baby momma" was used to get a little laugh out of the story. My baby momma is a wonderful woman. She can shoot a .44 mag like no other!
    “Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.”
    - Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    On a nice summer afternoon a stranger opened my front screen door (now replaced with a steel security door) and stepped in to my livingroom. I drew my weapon to the ready and ordered him to "GET OUT OF MY HOUSE!" He backed out immediately. I then called the Police... so did he. What a moron!
    I'd love to hear the rest of this story...
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Come on let's be honest.

I'm a newcomer here, a nobody if you will...but I have read that paragraph several times over and over throughout the day and it keeps me coming back....

First and foremost, I sincerely feel for you and your experience and glad you made it. You survived which is the main and most important thing.

Every situation dependent on the circumstances will have a different outcome on these factors. I do not carry yet as a citizen, but I have had to pull and use them in combat as a Marine.

It is not "cowardice" that prevents many of us from pulling the trigger...it is discipline and awareness of our surroundings.

Sometimes you simply dont' have the reaction time to react to a threat, or in doing so placing yourself in a more dangerous outcome and or more innocents present.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm reading a lot of hostility from your statements...that's dangerous for both you and those around you...a John Wayne effect perhaps.

I know intimately the rules of engagement and the implications of deadly force, I have used them to protect myself and my friends in harm's way....I do not revel in this knowing I killed another human, I simply didn't have a viable alternative.

We have a supreme responsibility as gun-owners abiding by our laws and statutes and the possibility we may in fact have to use them in the future.
    CalebClimbs and JediTalen like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SSgt USMC View Post
    I'm a newcomer here, a nobody if you will...but I have read that paragraph several times over and over throughout the day and it keeps me coming back....

First and foremost, I sincerely feel for you and your experience and glad you made it. You survived which is the main and most important thing.

Every situation dependent on the circumstances will have a different outcome on these factors. I do not carry yet as a citizen, but I have had to pull and use them in combat as a Marine.

It is not "cowardice" that prevents many of us from pulling the trigger...it is discipline and awareness of our surroundings.

Sometimes you simply dont' have the reaction time to react to a threat, or in doing so placing yourself in a more dangerous outcome and or more innocents present.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm reading a lot of hostility from your statements...that's dangerous for both you and those around you...a John Wayne effect perhaps.

I know intimately the rules of engagement and the implications of deadly force, I have used them to protect myself and my friends in harm's way....I do not revel in this knowing I killed another human, I simply didn't have a viable alternative.

We have a supreme responsibility as gun-owners abiding by our laws and statutes and the possibility we may in fact have to use them in the future.

A nobody?!?!?

Veterans always have my respect...and Marines are at the top of the list!!
    ep1953, bladeguy and TrevX like this.
    “Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.”
    - Ronald Reagan

I have pulled my weapon as a citizen and not pulled the trigger it was training and discipline. The best day is when every one goes home!

VIP Member

Come on let's be honest.

training.....I know others will agree here too....but its often said that you fight how you train....the times I've been in situations as a LEO and have to to action in various ways things just happen, I go on instinct and don't have to think about getting a hold of someone a certain way, drawing weapon, etc; the times I've had someone at gunpoint the finger is indexed without thinking, I'm watching and evaluating the suspect's actions to go from there; adrenaline kicks in and you will revert to habit=training
    me and a buddy caught a burglar in the act 3 nights ago and BG almost got shot because he didn't comply with directions and kept coming at my partner, he went from index to putting finger on trigger when the guy decided to follow directions and hit the deck
    All the times I've drawn on people on duty it feels natural (best way I can describe it), its all automatic-drawing, indexing, aiming, muzzle awareness, sul position/transition room to room, reholstering
    best way I can explain it
    Last edited by 64zebra; April 29th, 2009 at 10:07 PM.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty
    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I've been close once but never had to draw. Thank God!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

GLOCK 23..........Beretta 96..........Mossberg 500A..........Winchester 30-30..........S&W M&P

I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6!

Links