Defensive Carry banner

Have you ever drawn your gun in defense and not fired it?

33K views 132 replies 115 participants last post by  BadgerJ 
#1 ·
Have you ever drawn your gun in defense and not fired it? Why did you draw and not fire?

#2 ·
Have you ever drawn your gun in defense and not fired it? Why did you draw and not fire?
Yes. Because he raised his hands.

#4 ·
On a nice summer afternoon a stranger opened my front screen door (now replaced with a steel security door) and stepped in to my livingroom. I drew my weapon to the ready and ordered him to "GET OUT OF MY HOUSE!" He backed out immediately. I then called the Police... so did he. What a moron! :mad:

#6 ·
Yes. A two-on-one attack on me in a dark parking lot terminated quickly when I suggested to the lead thug that he rethink his position. His accomplice was behind me at about ~20yds, and closing, at the moment I presented my gun and offered my "suggestion." They immediately disappeared into the darkness. Didn't need to actually fire. They were lucky, that night. So was I.

#7 ·
Yep. They backed out of the driveway and left.

#128 ·
Oh yeah.....I remember when I entered into law enforcement it was a really BAD night if I had to draw my sidearm just a couple of times. Toward the end of my career it was quit common to draw my sidearm 5 to 8 times a night or more. Our general standard was when the threat that caused us to draw the weapon ceased we had to de-escalate our force (called our Continum of Force Policy which has multiple levels). Sometimes this would involve something like the suspect dropping their weapon or submitting to arrest. If working in pairs one would cover the suspect while the other officer cuffed them.

#14 ·
Yes, and I hope I never have to do it again!!! A few years back the door bell rang in the middle of the night. I went to the door and slowly opened it to find nobody there, then the back door bell rang, I locked the front and went to the back door and same thing nobody there, now I am pissed, about that time the front door bell rings again, I carefully open the door and out steps some man from the side of the door. I was amazed how fast the 629 came on point!! He was some drunk, saying he ran out of gas, but I don't really believe that!! I closed and locked the door and got him a 2 gal gas can out of the basement and set it out side the basement door. I went back to the front door and spoke through the door telling him where he could find the gas can. Next morning I found a puddle on the front porch where he obviously pissed himself, and then I realized the gas can I gave him was my pre mix for the weed eater!! In retro spec I would have never opened the door in the first place, but live and learn. It really scared me how close I came to ending this fools life!! There is something to be said about training muscle memory and training!! As I said before, I hope I never have to draw a weapon again.

NCH

#15 ·
Yes twice. One time I was about to be robbed and the second time I was outnumbered and about to be robbed or worse. I didn't shoot either time because the people involved turned tail and made tracks in the opposite direction. A lot of problems of this type can be stopped without shooting someone.

#43 ·
I had a similiar situation with three punks in Miami Lakes. They confronted me and I warned them I had a .357 in my hand and could take all three from where I was standing. (Had a bobbed, tuned, ported SP 101 in my shorts in my right hand.) One went for his pocket with both hands and I drew. I was pumped and would have taken all three down at that point. They thought better of it and split. Cops said I did the right thing.

#16 ·
The tire was very lucky.....

I was at work on a very cold day and a customer came in with a hand truck to pick up some joint compound. It had to be zero degrees outside and the store was just about 50-55...I was behind the counter when I heard a creaky sound, I got up and looked around and then...BOOM! I had the gun out of the holster at low ready as I ducked I heard the customer say....Holy---- the tire blew up! I put the gun down behind the counter, no on saw me, and examined the previously air filled tire on his hand truck (dolly). I explained to him about air expansion and hot and cold and it was kinda' cool to see that my physics teacher was right....He filled up, with cold air on a zero degree day, an empty tire and then walked into my store stayed five minutes and BOOM! I was actually impressed at my reaction time. Sheesh.....

#17 ·
Once . I was almost rear ended at a red light , then the driver cut me off in the parking lot I turned into. The vehicle cut off my going forward and I could not back into busy traffic and the driver was in my way to drive over the curb and grass. . I drew and held the pistol along side my seat.
The driver walked past my truck about 15 ft from me , while I watched. The passenger was out and screaming at the driver (domestic dispute ,I figure). the driver never realized how close he came to looking at the wrong end of my pistol.
Once the driver was far enough away , I hopped the curb and drove into the parking lot.

#22 ·
Yes
1. Nine idiots in the Sierras who thought there were enough of them to to intimidate someone- NOT

2. Truck stop,middle of the night someone beating on the door. Opened it to find a hooker who had the wrong address. Don't know what scared her more, the Diamondback in my hand or me in my skivvies :image035:

3. Three college kids in a jet boat that tried to swamp the canoe I was fishing from. First pass they came from behind and the skier took a cut that darn near swamped the canoe. When they made their second pass, I caught the skier in the chest with a 1oz lead weight cast from a spinning rod. While they were hauling him into the boat( unconscious I think) I had paddled back into the cove where I was camping. As they pulled up to the shore and started to climb out, I turned from the truck armed and suggested they find a different place to play. Judging from the speed with which they found reverse, they agreed. That weight sure did raise a welt.

4. The guy was almost in the front window of a friends house when he looked up to the loft to see the muzzle of my 38 pointed at him. He left. Deputies later found him in his shop "white as a ghost, shaking uncontrollably and unable to speak". He never did bother my friend again.

#23 ·
Not yet. I work really hard on staying away from situations where it is more likely to present a situation where I would have to. I hope I never have to, but the muggings are starting to increase around where I frequent. So I got two choices. Live my life like normal and be prepared for the worst and hope for the best or live in fear and don't go out of the house. I choose the first.

#26 ·
Three times, but I have learned to stay away form certain places, and people. My SA has improved greatly over the years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.