You can tell their gun won't fire

This is a discussion on You can tell their gun won't fire within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think we all also have to be realistic and think about whether you are really going to be reading the inscriptions on the side ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: You can tell their gun won't fire

I think we all also have to be realistic and think about whether you are really going to be reading the inscriptions on the side of the gun rather than the fact that you're looking at what could easily be the end of your life.

2. Remove Ads

This happened to someone who was trying to help some bums out, when word got out that he had money, they arrived at his apartment with guns and surprised him when they entered his apartment... the victim FAKED a heart attack and while both gunmen were distracted he shot them both dead with a .40cal semi auto.... I can't remember the name of the man but it was on TV some years ago.

IF I was faced in such a situation, I would assume the weapon is LOADED and that they were intending to do serious bodily harm... I would assume the WORST and nothing else.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Ok, for game's sake. If a BG comes to me with a weapon that I know is incapable of harming me (IE: a revolver with a cylinder that is not in place and you can see it) I WOULD NOT SHOOT! It would be murder. Plain and Simple. I would draw and cover him with my weapon as I order him to surrender (I know, I ain't a cop) and place the burden on his butt. If he tries to bring the weapon operational, he gets shot. Hopefully he will see the folly of his actions and give up.
    If your adrenalin were pumping in "flight or fight" mode, how much detail could you see? What if it were DARK and you saw the OUTLINE OF A GUN (could me even a toy gun)?
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    If I feel my life is threatened, there will be bullets flying away from me ASAP. Real gun, unloaded gun, real looking toy gun? The law and I treat the threat from all three of them the same.

I am not trying to be fair and catch every detail. I am trying to survive (within the guide of the law and with minimal collateral damage).

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Bang,Bang...

Bang
    I will see your Bang,Bang... Bang and raise you one Bang!

First of all in a revolver if you look down the barrel and see an empty chamber may get you killed since the cylinder rotates to shoot,you better be sure that both holes on either side are empty since some revolvers rotate clockwise and some rotate counter clockwise
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I would be the idiot that says..."what are you stupid? I can see theres not even a round in the chamber!"

Quote Originally Posted by trapper T View Post
    People watch too much TV. You are carrying a gun for one reason, SELF DEFENSE!!! Somebody pulls a weapon on you (gun, knife,bat,what ever) KILL THEM!!! Maybe I am crazy, but that is the reason I carry. My life or Their life, no brainer.
    Your talk is much easier said than done if you are in close proximity with a loaded gun pointed at you. It sounds tough, but if he already has the drop on you, you might be better advised to wait for a better and safer opportunity even if there is a risk of being shot, because I do no believe it is smart to take action that virtually guarantees certain and immediate death.

However, I would point out that many XD owners are more likely to note when the loaded chamber indicater is down -- in which event I would risk taking the action you suggest before he has the opportunity to chamber a round.

If I can see that the gun will not fire I would push the gun out of the way with my left hand while reaching for my gun with the other hand and shoot. If you do not carry a round in the tube you might find your self in a jam in a case like this.

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    I think we all also have to be realistic and think about whether you are really going to be reading the inscriptions on the side of the gun rather than the fact that you're looking at what could easily be the end of your life.
    You've obviously never seen Snatch.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zackattack78 View Post
    Don't point a gun at anything you don't intend to shoot. If the BG points a gun at me I assume he's intending to shoot me. I draw and fire.
    Sorry sir but I must disagree on drawing on someone that has the bead on you depending on the distance. If that weapon is pointed at you at a short distance, you are in deep!

You will in all likelehood have no idea if a weapon is loaded or not in a SD situation (semi auto for sure) . If that weapon crosses a 90 degree plane you had better be squeezing that trigger and sending some lead center mass fast!!!

If he has the drop on you you're going to have to make some very quick decisions and there are too many variables for to me peck out at 20 WPM. At arms length away you can get that weapon IF you know and practice disarming techniques and are willing to take a hit, but we are talking a life or death situation here. Past arms length you're better off complying to a certain extent unless you can draw and fire a round in .02 seconds.

Do not keep ANY secrets from the LEO's. Very quick way to spend time behind bars. If you do have to shoot it should be a justified one. Read Mr. Ayoobs book "In the Gravest Extreme" and it will answer many of your questions. Should be required reading for all that carry.

Are you out there Massad?

VR,

Roger
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

me
    Surprisingly this was on one of those worlds dumbest shows recently. Guy was robing a store and had a FTE (Sounded like stove pipe) when he shot into the ceiling. Guy chased him down and beat him up knowing the gun would not fire. STUPID GUY, should have had his own gun.

he had the time to notice this, I doubt I would have time to notice this. However this gun may be half a second from BANG. So I have to shot because I don't know if he can load it quickly.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

I'm not taking any chances. I'm goin to shoot unless he drops the gun and retreats.

Michael

If his weapon is leveled at me, I am already too late. Move to cover or get out of the way - draw, fire until the threat is no longer a threat.
    Glock 19
    Springfield XD45
    Para Ord SF-45-A

Being a victim is a choice, it doesn't have to be yours - Support Concealed Carry on Campus

blow em away.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links