You can tell their gun won't fire

This is a discussion on You can tell their gun won't fire within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In spite of all of your situational awareness skills you are caught in a scenario where you are facing a criminal with a weapon pointed ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: You can tell their gun won't fire

You can tell their gun won't fire

In spite of all of your situational awareness skills you are caught in a scenario where you are facing a criminal with a weapon pointed at your COM and your gun is still holstered. Due to your familiarity with the weapon he is holding, (like my XD with the loaded chamber indicator) you can tell this idiot is holding a non-functioning firearm on you, at least until he takes further action.

How do you respond? Do you calmly draw your own weapon and hold them at bay while they vainly pull their trigger? Do you draw and neutralize the threat, keeping it your own little secret? Do you go hand-to-hand since he is just holding a club, not a firearm? Do you just run away since he is not a threat?

I am reading a book right now that references pictures from concentration camps and the Warsaw ghetto where the German soldiers that are terrorizing the Jews have weapons that are not chambered. The numerically superior victims could have turned on their captors with relative ease if they had only known. How would you use that information in a pinch?
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

2. Remove Ads

At that point I bow to your observation skills (I don't think I'd trust my eyes to notice whether that little piece is up or flat) and I also admire your bravery that you're willing to put your life on the line based on the fact hat the weapon might have not been modified from original spec resulting in you misreading the external indicators.

Anyways... a pointed firearm is pointed. Remember the line? All weapons are always loaded?

Senior Moderator
    Bang,Bang...

Bang
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Don't point a gun at anything you don't intend to shoot. If the BG points a gun at me I assume he's intending to shoot me. I draw and fire.
    Sig Sauer P229 9mm
    Sig Sauer P238 .380
    Colt XSE 1911 .45

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Bang,Bang...

Bang
    Agree,

I wouldnt take the risk, because you wont get a second chance if you are wrong.

hum....

My first would be to either, push his arm out of the way while I draw and fire from retention or run if cover was near.

Ive given your scenario some thought and this is my third idea I would do.
    I would draw my weapon while getting some distance. Order him to drop his gun.
    If he ran or drop his gun I would not fire.
    If he pulls the trigger I would fire. If he moved to rack the side Id fire. If he moves closer Id fire.

Overall it is a deadly threat, and I would attempt to draw and fire while moving away from the danger.

Quote Originally Posted by Logan5 View Post
    My first would be to either, push his arm out of the way while I draw and fire from retention or run if cover was near.

Ive given your scenario some thought and this is my third idea I would do.
    I would draw my weapon while getting some distance. Order him to drop his gun.
    If he ran or drop his gun I would not fire.
    If he pulls the trigger I would fire. If he moved to rack the side Id fire. If he moves closer Id fire.

Overall it is a deadly threat, and I would attempt to draw and fire while moving away from the danger.
    If he pulls the trigger and his gun fires you very likely will not get to pull your trigger
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I once knew a guy working security that shot a perp who grabbed the SO's shotgun out of his car during a scuffle. SO knew the shotgun was unloaded, shot him anyway. I don't think he mentioned that little tidbit to the police...
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    BG has a gun pulled on you, I'm guessing the last thing your going to notice is if the loaded chamber indicator is visible, or the safety is engaged, especially if it is not a broad daylight situation. Until I decide he is not going to leave it as a simple robbery I'll do as he says. If I decide that whether I obey or not he's going to shoot anyway, I'll do whatever I can to make him miss with his first shot and pray mine hits it's target.

I'd shoot first and ask questions later. I would not assume that I was correct, and I would not assume that the BG was not going to figure out the problem before I tried to fight with him or yell at him.

If a gun is pointed at me, that person intends to shoot me, loaded or not I don't care. Because I'm not going to take the time to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Bang,Bang...

Bang
    +1
    Repeat as necessary
    The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing..... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Although this is a hypothetical that is VERY unlikely to occur...hmmm...I think I would try and distract him and then draw and shoot, thus doubling my chances at succes. Looking over somebodys shoulder at another imaginary person is a very effective way to avert their attention at least away from your hands.

I also think that I would try and knock the gun away from the BG as I draw and shoot from the hip. (I am assuming that he is very close as you can see his chamber indicator).

Reminds me I need to practice the block and shoot drill some more...
    Pray for our nations leaders!

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    BG could draw an empty pistol with the slide locked back and I'd still shoot. I am not going to have the time to recognize it's make, model, condition, etc. Gun pointing at me. Eliminate threat.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

VIP Member
    Ok, for game's sake. If a BG comes to me with a weapon that I know is incapable of harming me (IE: a revolver with a cylinder that is not in place and you can see it) I WOULD NOT SHOOT! It would be murder. Plain and Simple. I would draw and cover him with my weapon as I order him to surrender (I know, I ain't a cop) and place the burden on his butt. If he tries to bring the weapon operational, he gets shot. Hopefully he will see the folly of his actions and give up.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Boy these "what if's are really getting iffy" , a BG get's the jump on me and has a gun drawn or drawing down on me or my loved ones I can promise you there is no time to check for a round indicator or the safety is on!!! If you try and attempt this visual check your friends will be sending you flowers in a lage rectangular box with handles on it!!! You try and put distance between you and him, hopefully heading towards cover, all the time while drawing yourself and firing. Hopefully it will work out. But any time someone gets the jump on you it's a bad situation and one that isn't in your favor!!

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links