Save your dog? - Page 2

Save your dog?

This is a discussion on Save your dog? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A faithful family dog, like my boxer, is worth her weight in gold as far as I am concerned. My boxer even has emergency health ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Save your dog?

A faithful family dog, like my boxer, is worth her weight in gold as far as I am concerned.

My boxer even has emergency health insurance.

She is a tough as nails, best buddy and protector to my 5 year old daughter, and as such, is part of my family. No scumbag is worth what my dog is to me.

If it all goes to hell, and an intruder is shot in my home....the wife will take the dog to the vet, while I stay to deal with the aftermath.

Wife would take the dog if for no other reason than to make sure the dog got to the vet. I don't particularly like dogs. I just sort of put up with ours. If he didn't make it, I wouldn't miss him.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I would let another family member take the dog to the vet. Chances are if there has been a shooting, the BG will not be getting up depending on what i grabbed first.

Administrator
    For this scenario pretend you are home alone and there is a 24h vet several blocks away.

If you want to play the game you need to answer according to the criteria set down by the OP.

The answer cannot be based on "There are always two of us at home nights."

You are home ALONE. Your Wife went to visit your sick Aunt in Kalamazoo.

Screw the dead scumbag. Dog comes first.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    If I were alone, and my parent who live 4 doors away couldn't take him, I would. plain and simple.
    I recently had to put down my first fur kid and I'm not ready to loose another. Bronco is my Son and I couldn't love him more if I had given birth to him myself.
    I am not a Dog Owner, I am his companion and caretaker and I took on the responsibility of his care when I chose to bring him home, it would be no different it he was a 2 legged human child.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

If I've shot someone, that PERSON gets priority over an animal, hence I stay until they are stabilized/pronounced/etc and when the LEO's are gone, IF I'm still home, I'll take the dog to the vet.

1. No sense making myself look hard to find by some poor LEO who just wants to go home at the end of his shift.

2. No sense giving some prosecuter any reason to think I'm shifty or untrustworthy or have no respect for human life (for example: leaving poor, underprivedged, drug addicted/mentall-ill BG for dead on my floor after senslessly shooting him/her while I took litttle Muffy to the vet for some stitches might not come across to a jury of my peers as a responsible application of the Castle Doctrine, especially since the BG's family is there in the courtroom grieving and berefit of their only offspring, yadda yadda yadda....).

A shooting is hard enough to defend, running off to the vet with the dog and thereby leaving the scene might well get me in more trouble than I'm already in.

That's my logic....or what passes as logic for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    I
    I am not a Dog Owner, I am his companion and caretaker and I took on the responsibility of his care when I chose to bring him home, it would be no different it he was a 2 legged human child.
    Glad to here that Rugergirl. +1 for you

The bad guy would be dragged out of my house and left on the steps for the police if need be. I will not let my dog die or suffer for their actions. The BG made the decision to commit a crime, he will suffer for the actions not my dog. I would however tell 911 what I'm doing, not just run off. I will go as far to say if I was hurt I would seek help for my dog first if possible.

Thumper, Your not crazy, [at least about caring for your dog that is]...
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

My dog is a member of my family. I have had him for 17 years and cherish each moment, especially as the inevitable nears. So maybe I love my dog too much. As another post said, I took him on with a responsibility that I take much more serious than most pet owners. As such, I will care for my dog in what ever way I have too and BG be damned. I do not expect the BAG to be alive, so it becomes a legal issue. I live in a neighborhood, and if my wife is not home, as this scenario states, I will wake up neighbors or call family members. My dog does not even have to be shot, he could have been kicked or something.

Interesting post, and one that I hope gets folks thinking.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    That's a tough one but considering how I feel about my dog, (part of the family), I'd get him to the vet and take the actions you have described. This assumes the perp is no longer any kind of threat. Why should my dog be denied the medical attention he needs if his life can be saved because some scumbag has tried to ruin our evening?
    I agree that the dog is one of the family and deserves the best of care.
    Last edited by Tom G; February 3rd, 2009 at 07:15 PM. Reason: spelling

Simple. I'd first make damn sure the perp is no longer a threat, call 911 and then take the dog to the vet and have the cops meet me at the vet. My dog is a lot more important to me than the perp.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    Glad to here that Rugergirl. +1 for you

The bad guy would be dragged out of my house and left on the steps for the police if need be. I will not let my dog die or suffer for their actions. The BG made the decision to commit a crime, he will suffer for the actions not my dog. I would however tell 911 what I'm doing, not just run off. I will go as far to say if I was hurt I would seek help for my dog first if possible.

Thumper, Your not crazy, [at least about caring for your dog that is]...
    RK, I thought you'd think that way. Everytime I look into those beautiful brown eyes and see the love and adoration looking back at me I can do no less than the best for him.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    For this scenario pretend you are home alone and there is a 24h vet several blocks away.

If you want to play the game you need to answer according to the criteria set down by the OP.

The answer cannot be based on "There are always two of us at home nights."

You are home ALONE. Your Wife went to visit your sick Aunt in Kalamazoo.
    Thanx QKShooter I was just gonna say that.

I figured there would be a lot who agreed with me. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy.

You can act in order to save "life".... it does not say "human life".

My dog comes first... period...... especially if she was stepping into help protect me, I would owe it to her to do everything possible. Juries , if it came to that, would have sympathy for the homeowner and their dog.

If I am home alone and the dog gets hit, I guess it sucks to be him that day.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links