Save your dog?

This is a discussion on Save your dog? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm going to the vet ASAP. It was a heckuva gunfight, and I can't help the perp now....

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Save your dog?

I'm going to the vet ASAP. It was a heckuva gunfight, and I can't help the perp now.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Tough call. I love my dog very much, but I also don't want to go to jail for no good reason. I think I would try to enlist the help of a neighbor. As a last resort I tell 911 what I'm doing, hope for the best (legally) and head for the vet.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

I'd call 911 and in my report tell them that there is need for two ambulances, one for the dead BG, and one for the gunshot victim.
    First ambulance gets the address to the Vet and the dog.
    2nd ambulance gets the BG carcass.

Police gets the full report from attorney because I get the 5th.
    Its so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him, the Sheriff said.

Administrator
    Well, it depends on the dog. My old bird dog probably wouldnt have even known he was shot.

My JRT would have been DRT, or he would have been to busy finishing off the BG. I learned long ago not to get in between a jack and his prey.

My German Shepard... I would have tossed him the keys and let him drive himself to the vet.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I would take my dog to the vet as long as the threat was over and I had called leo to start responding officers and emt for the bad guy,letting them know what's up is not leaving the scene of a crime or evidence tampering,if you were shot or your family member and hospital is a couple blocks away I'm driving em to emergency room they can be there before an ambulance could even get dispatched IMHO
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by elkhunter View Post
    I'd call 911 and in my report tell them that there is need for two ambulances, one for the dead BG, and one for the gunshot victim.
    First ambulance gets the address to the Vet and the dog.
    2nd ambulance gets the BG carcass.

Police gets the full report from attorney because I get the 5th.
    Beat me to it!

EMS typically beats LEO to the scene anyhow. Even if they refuse to come in, until LEO arrives, I'll carry the pup out to them and tell them to get to work or get going.

Of course I am also of the opinion that if a K9 is injured by a BG, there is an additional charge of assault on a LEO, there should be equal charges if it is a personal pet, likewise with owners that abuse, should be child neglect/abuse.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

tjm
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    My dog comes first... period...... especially if she was stepping into help protect me, I would owe it to her to do everything possible. Juries , if it came to that, would have sympathy for the homeowner and their dog.
    Ditto that! I know that mine will go into harm's way for me and I'm not waiting to get her treatment if things go badly. I realize and accept that the cops will be pissed, maybe really pissed. My attorney will almost certainly need sedation. It may push the DA over the edge. Hard as we try, not every situation can be covered by the laws and social conventions. I'll take my chances. If she can take one for the team, so can I.

I think a person either understands this 100% or can never begin to grasp it.
    Last edited by tjm; February 4th, 2009 at 12:34 PM.

I don't think I could leave the scene. I have wonderful neighbors that could take my dog to the vet for me. As soon as I am through with the LEO's, I will quickly join them at the vet. Will probably send my 2 children with them as well, if they are home.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

I think part of this has been discussed before, sort of - being responsible for providing aide to the perp. Calling an ambulance does that - no sense in trying to directly trying to administer aide to someone who just tried to kill/rob you; they might continue their attempt. You've done what you could/required to, take care of the dog next as long as the police know where you are.

BAC
    Dog comes first. Bad guy isn't going anywhere, and I'd call to have police meet me at the vet while some go to my house. My dog is family.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    This is a no-brainer. I would save my dog at all costs, unless other family members were wounded or could not come with me to the vet.

-

Me too...and stay on the phone to 911 specifically telling them my actions and where I am going...all taped.

Rick

To Rernset; I hope you wifes aunt gets better soon the weather in Kalamazoo can be rough this time of year.

I would take my dog to the vet with instructions with 911 that my kids are with me and in route to the vet located at 123 main st anytown usa 12345. Please meet me there. By the way the BG needs medical attention at my home address.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    This is a no-brainer. I would save my dog at all costs, unless other family members were wounded or could not come with me to the vet.

-
    No doubt, I would take care of my dog.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

me
    I am single, live in apt where I neither know or trust my neighbors. I would take care of my dog, yes there is a 24 hour vet within 5 minutes of my apt in 2 directions, one of them is on speed dial. My dog is my sanity, he loves me when nobody else is around and things are bad.

I am going to the vet.

As for calling an ambulance most are not legally allowed to take animals - we got screamed at by state DOH for having one in the truck.

Caring for the guy who entered my house, my EMS protocols do not allow it as the SCENE IS NOT SAFE and I need to stage blocks away. Oh yeah and when the fight has ended I suspect he will be dead,so I will just pronounce if needed.

If this guy came into my APT castle doctrine would give me some safety and calling 911 to tell them what where and where I am heading would be a great help to my defense.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

If my dog was wounded you can guarantee he would get the best care possible, and I would bring him if there was no other possible solution. In Reality I would call a relative (I have about 5 that could be here in two minutes) and send them. I don't live any where near a 24 hour facility for animals. Maybe I would wait for the ambulance and see if they would help.

My dog, is family, and if he was to die because I put off bringing him to stay with the body of the person that killed him I would never forgive myself.
    ~Krockett

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links